The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Google chrome - the new browser

+32
ImProviser
RikaComet
mikej
DrGhost
Etana
havingfun
Walshy95
Extreme_gsxf
DefinedOne
Wel
dragonintel
Cornelia
vedu_king
cdma_haryana
Dreamlimix
Dark Takua
Xiso
Sammy101
Christos
scripttester123
mamabear
MrMario
Cheese
LawDVHS13
zakir321
Caihlem
johanmandal
Cherry Blossom
Doctor Inferno
alexsteven
crystal786
Jalokim
36 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Google chrome - the new browser - Page 2 Empty Google chrome - the new browser

Post by Jalokim September 6th 2008, 3:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.google.com/chrome
So there is a new kid on the block. Google chrome another web browser that offers the best security, easy browsing and fast speed.

has anybody got it?
I know that I was pessimistic, and I didn't jump to get it as soon as it came out. But now I have installed it. Just to try. now I've been here a while and you guys should know me by now... criticism is my middle name... followed by mr. neutral.
So nothing is going to change in this review ... i'm gonna say it as is, no hidden font.

The first thing that struck me and many members, is the speed... a fast browser, written in bold font on every post ... well i know that the loading of a page depends on your internet connection not your browser. Unfortunately, to my surprise I was stumped... the first thing i noticed with my chrome is that its slow... it took well over a second to load this help forum... on my firefox it take milliseconds...
(-2)

It reads .png image so its better than IE, but it seems that chrome doesn't read .gif Google chrome - the new browser - Page 2 Untitl10
that image is supposed to be invisible ... but google can't read it ... odd.
(-2)

"a minimal design" - they say ... and that is true... the chrome browser has no tool bar (file :: edit :: options) that means accessing these tools are hidden somewhere. at first shot you get a tabbed tool bar at the top, similar to IE's new interface... and a address bar below.
for people who don't need a toolbar its a +1 but in general i give it a neutral vote (0)

on the home screen you get opera's fast dial option ... well almost... chrome shows the most common webpages you visit... is that good? don't think so... in firefox (with the fastdial plugin) and in opera you get to choose which webpages are displayed on index.
(-1)

next... the bookmark toolbar ... on firefox its right under your address bar... in chrome its only on your index page on a short little bar... ... nope... that gives me nothing... I need to go to my index page to click the bookmark toolbar? but wait ... you can select it to be shown on all pages... just needed to change options.
so this gets a neutral vote (0)

Selecting text with left click ... OMG ... what happened. In my firefox when selecting a line of text I can do it with ease... I can be clumbsy and it will still select the text I want ... Chrome? if your mouse pointer travels a couple pixels out of the box the entire above text is highlighted... for me that sucks
(-1)

keyboard BB shortcuts ... on chrome they don't work ...
in firefox to make a text bold all I did was select it and press ctrl+b ... pressing ctrl+b on chrome toggles the show bookmarks bar...no! that makes life harder, especially for people who write and moderate forums.
(-1)

If it is safe I don't know ... it seems to be blocking popups nicely so under those terms i can give a positive call... but i don't have an antivirus currently so i won't be testing further.
(+1)

display:: well due to the minimalistic approach you have more webppage view space... thats good... you see more
(+2)

graphics:: a bit childish, but its not pathetic. The favorite star and spanner and page icons on display arn't that nice...
(0)

I doesn't work on linux or mac (-1)
doesn't have plugins or mods (-1)
doesn't inform you of closing multiple tabs (-1)
no themes or interface changes (-1)

my personal view:
graphics (+1 [3points max])
functionality (+2 [max 3])
speed (0 [max 3])
Ingenuity (+1 [max 3])
general (+2 [max 3])

summing up
cons: 11 minus points
pros: 9 positive points

verdict... the browser isn't fast... I tested using IE and firefox... those 2 browsers opened pages quick... using chrome I saw the difference between page loading ... its giant.
It is a beta, it has potential, but i think it'll hit the level of safari... people will know it, but they'll use firefox or IE anyway.

this is my opinion. ... it varies from other peoples opinions, especially under terms of speed.
I am still going to use my firefox... with the plugins everything is possible, customization is possible and its faster than chrome
Jalokim
Jalokim
Energetic

Male Posts : 6113
Language : English,Polish,CSS,HTML

Back to top Go down

Google chrome - the new browser - Page 2 Empty Re: Google chrome - the new browser

Post by Xiso May 9th 2009, 4:16 am

Google Chrome is not a reliable web browser, let me tell you that. I'm sticking with my trusty internet explorer.
Xiso
Xiso
Forumember

Male Posts : 463
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Google chrome - the new browser - Page 2 Empty Re: Google chrome - the new browser

Post by Dark Takua May 25th 2009, 7:16 pm

I like FF, IE there is a bug in there.
Dark Takua
Dark Takua
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1012

http://gzpower.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreamlimix May 25th 2009, 8:09 pm

I just love this Google Chrome, it's amazing in my opinion
Dreamlimix
Dreamlimix
Forumember

Male Posts : 761
Language : Cheese

http://www.sparkchat.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cdma_haryana May 25th 2009, 8:19 pm

1st. firefox
2nd. IE
3rd. xxxxxxx

i love forumotion with firefox bounce
cdma_haryana
cdma_haryana
Forumember

Male Posts : 132
Language : Hindi & English

Back to top Go down

Post by vedu_king May 25th 2009, 9:39 pm

i already had it much bfore u ppl...it wat a bit fast...but damn irritating!!!!!
1.it corrects each and evry letter while posting!
2.no function like PROPER copy n' paste. like, i wanted to make a user control panel for my forum... so,i had to copy urls and post em like this
Code:
[url=the forum address]the text[/url]
when i copied the url address and i paste it,it comes like this-
Code:
[url the forum url]the text[/url]
and,after i corrected em all and made the whole user control panel,everything got blank!!!!i got soooo irritated!!!

3.when i wanted to bann some IP,i copy the IP,but while pasting,IT WONT PASTE!!i had to type all the ip myself...
vedu_king
vedu_king
Forumember

Male Posts : 124
Language : English (And a lot more)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Takua May 25th 2009, 10:32 pm

Umm what do you mean?
Dark Takua
Dark Takua
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1012

http://gzpower.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornelia May 26th 2009, 12:30 am

Jalokim wrote:I doesn't work on linux or mac (-1)

It doesn't work natively, but you can make them work using an emulator.

For Linux users : http://www.playonlinux.com/en
For Mac users : http://www.playonmac.org/en/
Cornelia
Cornelia
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 4763
Language : I'M NOT A TECHIE OR A MOD, SO QUIT SENDING ME PMS FOR TECHIE STUFF OR LOST PASSWORDS !!!

http://ishimaru-design.servhome.org

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonintel May 26th 2009, 3:01 am

You have all the answers Cornelia
dragonintel
dragonintel
Forumember

Male Posts : 392

http://bestof.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Wel May 26th 2009, 8:05 am

Google Chrome is okay.
But I love mozilla firefox.
Wel
Wel

Language : English, Tagalog

Back to top Go down

Post by vedu_king May 26th 2009, 10:30 am

mozzilla forefox takes a bit time to open up...
vedu_king
vedu_king
Forumember

Male Posts : 124
Language : English (And a lot more)

Back to top Go down

Post by DefinedOne June 7th 2009, 6:03 pm

its great for reliability just make sure you have lots of ram due to the amount of processes it takes up.

its also easy to change the browser so it reports as googlebot etc without needing an add on unlike firefox Very Happy
DefinedOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Extreme_gsxf June 7th 2009, 6:06 pm

1. Chrome
2. IE
3. Mozzila FF
4. Opera
5. Safari

Chrome is the fastest browser, no faults... It's easy to use... Fantastic!
Extreme_gsxf
Extreme_gsxf
Forumember

Male Posts : 678
Language : english, german, french, montenegrian

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonintel June 7th 2009, 6:40 pm

1. CHROME!!!!
2. FF
3. OPERA
4. SAFARI
5. IE Nothing
dragonintel
dragonintel
Forumember

Male Posts : 392

http://bestof.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Walshy95 June 7th 2009, 6:46 pm

Google Chrome has a few bugs in it doesn't it? I read some where before it's released that it had A LOT of bugs. I went to download it, but I didn't. I might download it soon, but right now I'm staying with Internet Explorer and FireFox. Never fails me Cool.
Walshy95
Walshy95
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1308

Back to top Go down

Post by havingfun June 14th 2009, 5:03 pm

Message deleted and member banned
havingfun
Forumember

Language : ............

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornelia June 14th 2009, 9:30 pm

A first beta version for Mac and Linux has been released : http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/google_chrome_for_mac_and_linux_has_arrived_but_dont_download.php

By the fact that it's a beta version, it isn't ready yet for mainstream use, so download it only if you are a beta tester and want to contribute to the development by reporting bugs.
Cornelia
Cornelia
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 4763
Language : I'M NOT A TECHIE OR A MOD, SO QUIT SENDING ME PMS FOR TECHIE STUFF OR LOST PASSWORDS !!!

http://ishimaru-design.servhome.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Etana June 14th 2009, 10:13 pm

I luv' Google Chrome.

It's quick, clear but have bug and download the css sheets instead of open them.

But just be quicker is enough thumleft

C0R3 wrote:Google Chrome is not a reliable web browser, let me tell you that. I'm sticking with my trusty internet explorer.
IE is rather... bad, just easy to install when it's already installed.
Etana
Etana
Forumember

Male Posts : 98
Language : French - English

http://kiniiri.forumactif.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DrGhost June 14th 2009, 10:23 pm

The MAIN browser i currently have in this laptop, is Google Chrome.
DrGhost
DrGhost
Forumember

Male Posts : 553
Language : Crap

http://zhqs.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mikej July 8th 2009, 7:59 pm

its ok but there could be improvements
mikej
mikej
Forumember

Male Posts : 49
Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by RikaComet July 14th 2009, 1:10 am

let me give you all my views

Firefox: I prefer it still due to its speed, ease of use and security liability
but for quiet sometimes i have been having my firefox crash ..it appears this problem is being faced by many and the firefox team is working on it

IE 8 : its certainly old and slow but you never know, its still there in the market and users still love it, its stable and i think more secure than any other browser in brute power, you guys certainly know who won the race between turtle and rabbit and Old is Gold saying~

Opera: Yeah its good and handy and has many features that no other browser has , it certainly is a good standard product but that doesn't compensate that it has no speciality and its illy marketed

Chrome: competition is always good when it comes from the tiger to the lion, from new champ to has been, from david to goliath

Google has started to breath down MIcrosoft ass by recently launching
chrome against IE
Andriod against Windows Mobile 6.0
and Chrome OS against Windows 7

if the big daddy microsoft wanna survive in this competitive market where
google is becoming everyones favourite , Microsoft needs a new young Bill Gates 2!

as for the chrome i certainly dislike its lack of nabar and colors used in it
and it certainly has a 9/10 factor with hackers in the 6 months of its launch lets see what happens

In my personal view Google and Chrome aren't compatible with each other
the friendly chuby search engine look doesn't matches with the chromes wanna be pro look~
chrome certainly is something but its nothing compared to competition
but seeing its only 6 months old lets wait for more improvements~
RikaComet
RikaComet
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1536
Language : English , Hindi , Arabic , Urdu, Japenese , Punjabi , German

Back to top Go down

Post by ImProviser July 15th 2009, 11:52 pm

isn't it a bit old ?

i've found about it long ago... it has some major bugs with phpbb2, especially with forumotion service (at least at my case)

didn't use it a long time tho (still without connection for those familiar... )
ImProviser
ImProviser
Forumember

Male Posts : 617
Language : Serbian, English, Deutsch

http://www.team-xenon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rehua July 16th 2009, 5:32 pm

I use it, it's very fast and it's great.
Rehua
Rehua
Forumember

Male Posts : 669
Language : Dutch, English, German, French

http://vocatrem.findtalk.biz/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by analog_s1_t4 July 29th 2009, 7:24 am

CONTENT REMOVED~~MEMBER BANNED
analog_s1_t4

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by zadarmo3 August 3rd 2009, 2:59 pm

Linux and Mac versions of Chrome are still in beta.

When I was surfing the net with IE7 in some moment it just.. crashed. That creepy browser went blank. But that's not all! The X button just stopped working! IE7, maybe for "security" doesn't allow the user to close it while it's crashing! However, you can't even open Firefox or any other program! All the unsaved documents went AWAYYYYY and I couldn;t kill the iexplore.exe process..

SO..

IE sucks Firefox rocks
zadarmo3
zadarmo3

Female Posts : 7
Language : English. Polish

http://bezludnawyspa.bo.pl

Back to top Go down

Post by khubaib_95 August 3rd 2009, 3:02 pm

Google chrome is very faster than mozilla fire fox! and Rika Comet- Are you Muslim?
khubaib_95
khubaib_95
Forumember

Male Posts : 63
Language : english, tamil

http://anime-crusade.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2