The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problem with Username already taken

3 posters

Go down

Solved Problem with Username already taken

Post by *Cameron* Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:08 am

So I have a weird problem. I just created the Moonside forums the other day and my regular forum name has always been "Cameron". Well I made my default name "Swan", and made a dummy user to reserve the name "Cameron" so that if I should want to use the name again, I could and would simply swap my current username with the dummy's. Anyway, I tried it once and it worked, I reswapped from Cameron back to Swan, and I am now trying to do it again and when I try changing my name in the Admin Panel it tells me: "Username is already taken", so I changed the dummy's name to "Cameron2", tried it again, and the same thing happened "Username is already taken". So lastly I deleted the dummy account, and tried once more but to no avail, "username already taken" even though this time there is clearly no one on Moonside with the username Cameron, how can I change my name back to it? I don't want to change it from "Swan" to something temporary and be stuck with a crappy name. I've been in the admin panel on two different computers; the one where I established the forum (my house), and at a friend's house (updates & etc.) would that make a difference? What can be done to fix this?

EDIT: I figured out what the problem was. Apparently even after I deleted the dummy account, a ghost copy or something was placed into the "inactive users" tab. Once I deleted it, the name change worked fine.
*Cameron*

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Problem with Username already taken

Post by kirk Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:19 am

in stead of swapping names. try haveing a couple dif accounts on the board.
it's always good to have your self with an account as a regular member to test things and to be incognito too.(and reply to your self too)lmao

but this still dose not explain why you can not create these user if you do not have anyone on the forum with them names already?

so dunno anyone have any ideas on this one? technically you should be able to change your name. or anyone else's to what you want when you want as long as the name is not taken.. so yea i'm a Lil mind boggled on this one?
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:22 am

*Cameron* wrote:
EDIT: I figured out what the problem was. Apparently even after I deleted the dummy account, a ghost copy or something was placed into the "inactive users" tab. Once I deleted it, the name change worked fine.

there ya go. i was like whaaa.. lol
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessa Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:05 am

Since this problem appears to be resolved, I will lock this topic now. Wink

=> Locked
Nessa