The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Posting issues

+4
Rok
pizza
Sanket
Jeff
8 posters

Go down

Posting issues Empty Posting issues

Post by Jeff May 2nd 2009, 5:59 pm

Hi everyone
I don't know if this is a problem with the servers or our PC's but when I go to post a reply to a thread it takes forever to post, I checked with the members and some say yes their having the same problem but others are saying its fine.

Just flicking through pages and reading on the forum is still pretty fast its only when posting a reply or when uploading an image, now I understand an image can take a while but it never used to.
So if anyone can throw some light on this for me please I will be most grateful to you.
Jeff
Forumember

Male Posts : 54
Language : english

Back to top Go down

Posting issues Empty Re: Posting issues

Post by Sanket May 2nd 2009, 9:23 pm

Try using firefox, clear your cache regularly.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff May 3rd 2009, 12:08 am

Thanks Sanket I clear my cache every night not to sure about firefox though
Jeff
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by pizza May 3rd 2009, 3:06 am

firefox is better than Internet explorer because its safer
pizza
pizza
Forumember

Male Posts : 99

http://pizza.forumotion.net/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Rok May 3rd 2009, 3:11 am

pizza wrote:firefox is better than Internet explorer because its safer

And a lot faster.
Rok
Rok
Energetic

Male Posts : 6823
Language : idk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket May 3rd 2009, 7:10 am

Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley May 4th 2009, 5:44 am

Its all well and good for firefox to be bigger and better than IE, but why should everyone have to change to firefox simply because this forum cant cope in a normal fashion with IE! I have nearly 1000 members and I am certainly not going to tell them to change to firefox if they want to view our forum, how damn rude is that!
Can someone come up with an answer that will help us without us changing our browser that we have had for years?

Hayley
Hayley
Forumember

Female Posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario May 4th 2009, 5:46 am

Try this this and it doesnt take long to change broswer.
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley May 4th 2009, 5:50 am

MrMario wrote:Try this this and it doesnt take long to change broswer.

Of course I tried that, clearing the cache is the very first thing anyone should do!
And expecting 1000 members to change to a different browser is just silly. Im sorry if I offend anyone, but its a really silly thing to ask simply because you cant come up with a decent solution!
Hayley
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk May 4th 2009, 7:58 am

Hayley wrote:

Its all well and good for firefox to be bigger and better than IE, but why should everyone have to change to firefox simply because this forum cant cope in a normal fashion with IE! I have nearly 1000 members and I am certainly not going to tell them to change to firefox if they want to view our forum, how damn rude is that!
Can someone come up with an answer that will help us without us changing our browser that we have had for years?

Hayley

Hayley with all due respect?
i Don't know exactly what kind of answer it is your looking for?Your computer and speed can have a number of different things and reasons why it might be slower at times.
it can depend on your service,your system, browser.. i mean it's endless. then you might have some king of add-ware or spy-ware that can be slowing it down too.

the only thing i could really suggest is make sure you dont have anything in there slowing it down. find a good browsers that works for you the best and stick with that.
as far as you implying this is a forumotion problem. i doubt that very much. it's probably something on your end. i even have some problems on different sites not everthing is always fast. it's just the computer. this will fluxuate at times.

so like i said i dont know what kind of answer your expecting if i had one that would work for you i would be sure to tell ya and help.but this can be anything from your connections,to your service to your system etc...

try using a different browser and see if that helps.
clear all your history,cookies etc.
run all your scans for virus,ad-ware,spy-ware everthing and make sure there is nothing in there.Then reboot.

or you can even try something like www.finalyfast.com
you can also call your Internet provider and ask them why you speed is slow and what you can do to have it faster.so these are a few things you can stare with. but i mean it could be anything. i'm using IE and i never have any problems.. well once in a wile but not much.

so for what it's worth i hope that helps a lil

oh try defragmenting too. that can make a world of difference especially if you do not do it often?

Last edited by kirk on May 4th 2009, 8:23 am; edited 2 times in total
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley May 4th 2009, 8:13 am

Hayley with all due respect?
i Don't know exactly what kind of answer it is your looking for?Your computer and speed can have a number of different things and reasons why it might be slower at times.
it can depend on your service,your system, browser.. i mean it's endless. then you might have some king of addware or spyware that can be slowing it down too.

the only thing i could really suggest is make sure you dont have anything in there slowing it down. find a good browsers that works for you the best and stick with that.
as far as you implying this is a forumotion problem. i doubt that very much. it's probably something on your end. i even have some problems on different sites not everthing is always fast. it's just the computer. this will fluxuate at times.

Thanks for your answer Kirk, but it cannot be our computers. And as I have stated before, we have all cleared our caches.
The reason I believe it is not caused by our computers is that the problem only occurs when we reply to messages. Loading up all pages is no problem, but responding to posts takes forever. I would think that if it was computer problems, it would be across the board, and loading up all pages would be an issue, but its not. And once again, I am not going to ask 1000 members to switch to firefox.
Hayley
Hayley
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 May 4th 2009, 9:26 am

Heyley,

We are more than aware that your not going to ask ur members to switch to firefox, you dont have to keep repeating it!

To me, this DOES seem like a Personal Computer problem, not a ForuMotion forum.
(And I know abit about comps too)

As kirk has stated, you may have a keylogger, virus, spyware, ect on ur pc; run a antispyware & antivirus scan to see if that detects anything.

After that, download something like ClearProg or CCleaner and clear everything on ur pc, NOT just your cookies and history ~ it can make a world of difference.

Also try a Disk Defragmentation ~ that in it's self can be a world of difference, especually if it hasnt been done in the last 6 months!!
but dont do it more than Once a month its too often and defrags more than it unfrags

Also, while ur still is system tools, try using Disk Cleanup !

and make sure your version of windows is up to date (as there could be security issues with windows causing this)

Once you have done all of this, it will be lying down to your connection; that can fluxuate from time to time (as kirk stated)

You also say you are on Internet Explorer, are you using V7 or V8...?
Either way make sure it is up to date !!

Myself like kirk really do not know what you are expecting from us here at the support forum, considering your problem is most likely computer based and not forumotion based.

I strongly urge you to pay a visit to the Official Microsoft Forum.

Other than that, there is nothing we can do !

Can you please pass this information onto your members.

EDIT: If you wish, PM me the URL of the particular forum in discussion and I will preform first hand investigations Wink
Your call.

And yes, I am more than capable of writing Typing a post longer than Kirk does Wink
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley May 4th 2009, 10:36 am

darren1 wrote:Heyley,

We are more than aware that your not going to ask ur members to switch to firefox, you dont have to keep repeating it!

To me, this DOES seem like a Personal Computer problem, not a ForuMotion forum.
(And I know abit about comps too)

As kirk has stated, you may have a keylogger, virus, spyware, ect on ur pc; run a antispyware & antivirus scan to see if that detects anything.

After that, download something like ClearProg or CCleaner and clear everything on ur pc, NOT just your cookies and history ~ it can make a world of difference.

Also try a Disk Defragmentation ~ that in it's self can be a world of difference, especually if it hasnt been done in the last 6 months!!
but dont do it more than Once a month its too often and defrags more than it unfrags

Also, while ur still is system tools, try using Disk Cleanup !

and make sure your version of windows is up to date (as there could be security issues with windows causing this)

Once you have done all of this, it will be lying down to your connection; that can fluxuate from time to time (as kirk stated)

You also say you are on Internet Explorer, are you using V7 or V8...?
Either way make sure it is up to date !!

Myself like kirk really do not know what you are expecting from us here at the support forum, considering your problem is most likely computer based and not forumotion based.

I strongly urge you to pay a visit to the Official Microsoft Forum.

Other than that, there is nothing we can do !

Can you please pass this information onto your members.

EDIT: If you wish, PM me the URL of the particular forum in discussion and I will preform first hand investigations Wink
Your call.

And yes, I am more than capable of writing Typing a post longer than Kirk does Wink

Hi Darren,
I can understand the frustration here from both ends I really can, I had to repeat myself that I cant ask 1000 members to change to firefox because in every post I have been told to. I dont like repeating myself!
I am using the very latest Internet Explorer, my computer is constantly updated, and I defrag and disk clean up regularly. So I am doing all the right things, and to be perfectly honest, I couldnt care that it takes a while to load a reply page, I dont care- but my forum members do, and I cant ask each and every one of them the details of their computers. I have already gone over ALL of these tips of yours and recommended that my members do it also, as I realise that it's common sense to do the basics before coming here and asking the questions. But that has not worked, and obviously (since I did not even start this thread) I am NOT the only one facing this same problem.
You dont understand what I am expecting? Well, I am just asking for a little bit of help to assist me in finding out what the problem is, and how to fix it.
Hayley
Hayley
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff May 4th 2009, 7:41 pm

I posted this question to see if it was an overall problem with the forum? Or if a personal PC problem.
Every single night before I log off I run a virus scan and I always download any updates that are available I was advised to install Firefox so I did and still the problem persists so I have Just posted this on my forum for another guy who knows about forums & PC's

Well I thought I cured it mike but the same problem reared its head today, I can scout around and read topics very fast but when I reply and click send it seems to take forever for it to post, so I downloaded a small program to check what memory I have for running programs http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/maxmem/download.htm.
(free software)
It gives you a little screen on your task bar and it constantly keeps your memory at maximum for you and I can see now I have 1044m 68% free memory to run programs with and that's more than enough not to cause problems with posting.

This is only a temporary measure and I will delete it when the problems cured.
I also went into MSconfig and unchecked programs I don't need to start up on boot-up, I downloaded Firefox and I'm using that as my browser and still this problem persists so do you have any more idea's.

I did think it could have been my ISP speed and did a speed test for up and download speed but my download speed came out at 8725 and my upload speed was 699 so they seem ok.

If this does turn out to be my own PC and not an issue with the forum I still think it will help other members if ever they begin to suffer a similar problem with their own forums.

I just clicked Preview to read this before posting it and it took around a minute and a half for the preview to be displayed so no doubt it will be the same when I click send.

If anyone can help with this issue be it a personal PC problem or a forum problem it will no doubt help many ForuMotion forum members and not Just myself.
Jeff
Forumember

Back to top Go down