The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

forumotion google ads are showing to members aswell?

+21
TasV
Yao
azredliner
ROYAL
faith and devotion
SophieDophs
jenson09
efbe
Rhianna
~PSYDEX~
Blofeld
matt_m
shamzblueworld
Shadow
Tashnz
JVCA
DONK
kjmj14
Darren1
dotDavid
emikati
25 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

forumotion google ads are showing to members aswell? - Page 2 Empty forumotion google ads are showing to members aswell?

Post by emikati September 9th 2009, 9:40 am

First topic message reminder :

From a 2 year i have a forum in forumotion. The Ads of forumotion google only show to guests bcuz i allowed it from admin panel, now after 2 years. its showing to members aswell .. however i hvnt changed any option from admin panel..wats this .now y its showing to members as well.?? huh Sad

y this option is not working a minutes before? Admin panel >> General >> Ads control > Set it so"Text ads activation (underlined) " = Guests

Last edited by emikati on September 9th 2009, 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
emikati
emikati
Forumember

Male Posts : 393
Language : English, HTML

Back to top Go down

forumotion google ads are showing to members aswell? - Page 2 Empty Re: forumotion google ads are showing to members aswell?

Post by matt_m September 9th 2009, 11:04 am

dotDavid, how is it a glitch when Typlo only just said earlier on in this thread:

We made a promotional offer for a long time regarding, but we can't
afford to offer forever, explaining why your members can now see ads.

For information, the English forum were among the rare languages where this offer was still effective.

This has been implemented intentionally as you can clearly see. Forumotion users have received no warning of this, and many of us will feel as though we were caught on the fishing line so to speak, and thrown in the bucket!

Sad
matt_m
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

forumotion google ads are showing to members aswell? - Page 2 Empty Re: forumotion google ads are showing to members aswell?

Post by dotDavid September 9th 2009, 11:09 am

Thats not what the glitch is. If you were reading, the section in the Admin Panel is missing, being most likely a glitch. Why would your assumptions be true without an announcement from Typlo?

Also, another member has mentioned that they received a PM from Typlo stating this was a glitch.

So that comes to the conclusion that you are saying that other member is faking a PM, or Typlo makes decisions that affect us, but does not annouce it? Either way, you have gotten it wrong.
dotDavid
dotDavid
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2404

https://help.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by emikati September 9th 2009, 11:11 am

dotDavid wrote:Thats not what the glitch is. If you were reading, the section in the Admin Panel is missing, being most likely a glitch. Why would your assumptions be true without an announcement from Typlo?

Also, another member has mentioned that they received a PM from Typlo stating this was a glitch.

So that comes to the conclusion that you are saying that other member is faking a PM, or Typlo makes decisions that affect us, but does not annouce it? Either way, you have gotten it wrong.

dotdavid, y this option is not working a minutes before? Admin panel >> General >> Ads control > Set it so"Text ads activation (underlined) " = Guests ,???? i.e ads only displays to guests..
emikati
emikati
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Tashnz September 9th 2009, 11:12 am

Well time will tell either way....by the sounds of it the ads are here to stay. But if we are wrong then great! But i wouldnt be defending typlo so strongly right now, he doesnt have a very strong case!
Tashnz

Female Posts : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by dotDavid September 9th 2009, 11:17 am

emi, I said, it may be a glitch, so therefore the section can not be viewed.

Tashnz, I hope the ads will go away, like many others, but I am just stating all this from primary facts which lead to many assumptions by many.
dotDavid
dotDavid
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by emikati September 9th 2009, 11:20 am

i think typlo should reponse to us all that this is an technical problem and will be resolved soon about this option that is not working a minutes before? Admin panel >> General >> Ads control > Set it so"Text ads activation (underlined) " = Guests ,???? i.e ads only displays to guests..
emikati
emikati
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_m September 9th 2009, 11:20 am

Well unfotunately dotDavid your assumption along with your authorative attitude are wrong.

*I* do not have a problem with the text-links section in my admin panel. It is still there, and I still have it set to Guests only.

The part that is missing is what we used to have where it said "activate ads" and you could choose between members or guests. This is gone, and Typlo has already said why earlier on in this thread. "Because we cannot afford to continue to so that is why your members now see ads".

Why would the section still exist in the admin panel if all forums were forced to display ads to all members anyway? It would be rendered useless.
matt_m
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by emikati September 9th 2009, 11:26 am

typlo ??? do reply to this that it is an technical problem and will be resolved soon about this option that is not working a minutes before? Admin panel >> General >> Ads control > Set it so"Text ads activation (underlined) " = Guests ,???? i.e ads only displays to guests..
emikati
emikati
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by dotDavid September 9th 2009, 11:28 am

emikati wrote:i think typlo should reponse to us all that this is an technical problem and will be resolved soon about this option that is not working a minutes before? Admin panel >> General >> Ads control > Set it so"Text ads activation (underlined) " = Guests ,???? i.e ads only displays to guests..

If it was a technical issue, Typlo (a human being) would have to actually see this and make sure of it before announcing anything. I think we are assuming that Typlo knew all of this, but he is most likely like us, clueless as to what happened.

matt_m wrote:Well unfotunately dotDavid your assumption along with your authorative attitude are wrong.

*I* do not have a problem with the text-links section in my admin panel. It is still there, and I still have it set to Guests only.

The part that is missing is what we used to have where it said "activate ads" and you could choose between members or guests. This is gone, and Typlo has already said why earlier on in this thread. "Because we cannot afford to continue to so that is why your members now see ads".

Why would the section still exist in the admin panel if all forums were forced to display ads to all members anyway? It would be rendered useless.
1) Have you ever actually seen what text links are?
2) He did not actually say that. You have quoted incorrectly.
3) It may, like many have said, be a glitch. And if it is a glitch, you wont be able to see it, and that would mean ads are visible.

If you read my post correctly, I said another member has supposedly a PM from Typlo saying that this is a glitch. What makes you assume that they are lying? Unless the evidence is not shown, you are correct, but why would someone lie about that?

Lastly, saying that I have assumed is bad enough, but my attitude comes from people who do not feel sympathy to others, in this case Typlo. He is providing you free hosting and he asks for nothing is return. I may be wrong, but all that I have stated is from the facts and sources that I have seen.
dotDavid
dotDavid
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_m September 9th 2009, 11:30 am

The "Text ads activation (underlined)" is NOT the google ads banner that you see at the top of the forum! The banner at the top of forumotion forums is now displayed to all members, as Typlo explained earlier. Yes it sucks, and we should have been warned.

This option (Text ads activation (underlined) ) is still in my admin panel. How come for others it is no longer there? I see it...and I have set it to Guests only.
matt_m
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_m September 9th 2009, 11:31 am

https://help.forumotion.com/administration-panel-credits-and-domain-names-problems-f44/forumotion-google-ads-are-showing-to-members-aswell-t53983.htm#350476

Read underneath the screen shot in this post. Either I am seriously mistaken or Typlo in that post has explained why the banner ads at the top of forums are now displaying to all members?
matt_m
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by dotDavid September 9th 2009, 11:34 am

I have the text ads section still there. Those people have most likely confused the two around.

To retaliate your link: https://help.forumotion.com/manage-the-appearance-of-your-forum-f45/banner-adds-t53985.htm#350462 ( read the quote )
dotDavid
dotDavid
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by DONK September 9th 2009, 11:39 am

This is all kicking off and there isn't a single member of staff online What the fuck ?!? at this particular moment!
DONK
DONK
Forumember

Male Posts : 48

http://www.gtdrivers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_m September 9th 2009, 11:41 am

dotDavid, the link you posted...

The quote on there I thought was regarding the text links. This is because I still have the text links option in my admin panel, and it is working fine.

I think part of the problem is that people are confusing TEXT link advertisements with normal ads.
matt_m
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Blofeld September 9th 2009, 11:41 am

This is disgusting , ridiculous (I can really see me members returning now ) . Sad
Blofeld
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1088
Language : ............

Back to top Go down

Post by dotDavid September 9th 2009, 11:42 am

GT Drivers,Remember, this is a voluntary support forum. Also, there is also an office so they may be discussing this right as we type.

matt_m, it may be. But like you have implicitly said to me, you are actually assuming that.
Mr.Stamper, we all feel the same.
dotDavid
dotDavid
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_m September 9th 2009, 11:43 am

If there was an option of buying backups, I would be purchasing a backup copy of my forum (no this is NOT a security issue, other free hosts offer it all the time) and moving away from forumotion, I am sad to say Sad.

I think the trust between staff and members is slowly dissapearing.
matt_m
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_m September 9th 2009, 11:45 am

matt_m, it may be. But like you have implicitly said to me, you are actually assuming that.

forumotion google ads are showing to members aswell? - Page 2 Icon_lol . And all anyone can do is continue to assume until a staff member comes on here and gives us an update and lets us know what is going on, i'm afraid to say.
matt_m
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by dotDavid September 9th 2009, 11:47 am

What do you mean trust? This is a voluntary support forum, with all members supporting voluntarily. Staff are hand picked to deal with their expertise of a problem. They don't work for Forumotion.

BTW, we have no access to the DB, so we can't just get a copy and run off.
dotDavid
dotDavid
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by ~PSYDEX~ September 9th 2009, 11:48 am

Oh i see ... i though it's a technical problem but now i see we're f*ck*d forumotion google ads are showing to members aswell? - Page 2 281663
~PSYDEX~
~PSYDEX~
Forumember

Male Posts : 322
Language : Bulgarian

http://www.mobers.org

Back to top Go down

Post by dotDavid September 9th 2009, 11:49 am

How do you know we are "f*ck*d"? There have been no formal announcements, or messages stating we are "f*ck*d"?
dotDavid
dotDavid
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna September 9th 2009, 11:49 am

I'm joining you in waiting for an official answer to this problem (together with 1000 members of my forum)

It was a really bad surprise this morning when I saw the adds. As most of you said, one of the main reasons I choose forumotion was beacuse I can't stand seeing them.

And it might be easy to say "ask your members to donate" but online payment is not as simple in some countries as it's in the others.
Rhianna

Language : Croatian

Back to top Go down

Post by Blofeld September 9th 2009, 11:50 am

You think your getting more money from people paying for ad removal ? No your just going to get more people leaving forumotion.
Blofeld
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by dotDavid September 9th 2009, 11:51 am

Rhianna, thank you, but I must admit, I "may" be completely wrong.

Mr.Stamper, that is true, but you are only thinking for the worst case scenario, that the ads are going to stay forever.
dotDavid
dotDavid
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow September 9th 2009, 11:55 am

I'm sorry for any disturbance that may be caused by these ads.
No announcement was made simply because we we're not sure, at that time, if it would be a temporary measure or not.

This has been implemented intentionally as you can clearly see. Forumotion users have received no warning of this, and many of us will feel as though we were caught on the fishing line so to speak, and thrown in the bucket!

We never advertised this feature on our main site, so the regular users who creates a forum here wouldn't even know it exists.
So clearly, it's kind of wrong saying we "caught" you, as this is a bonus feature that isn't even announced nowhere, and has never been an argument to bring people to create a forum here.

Now, what needs to be understood is that maintaining a free forum host isn't free : admins, technicians, servers, ...all this costs money, and comes a day where we need to find ways to keep it profitable, so that we can continue to offer new functionalities, hire new technicians, and offer you stable/smooth forums.
Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 16217
Language : French, English

Back to top Go down

Post by Blofeld September 9th 2009, 11:57 am

But wasn't activating it for guests better? I don't see what doing it for members will do other than more people leaving FM .
Blofeld
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_m September 9th 2009, 11:58 am

What do you mean trust? This is a voluntary support forum, with all
members supporting voluntarily. Staff are hand picked to deal with
their expertise of a problem. They don't work for Forumotion.

BTW, we have no access to the DB, so we can't just get a copy and run off.

You seem to have a problem with every other word I say???

Yes, trust. I KNOW this is a free service. Do not patronise me, please. There should still be a level of trust between the USERS of the service and the STAFF. In not giving us a warning or announcement about the google ads, this seems to have gone slightly. I don't blame people for being annoyed. You don't expect to wake up one morning and shock, horror, ads are on your forum! The forum you have worked hard to build and make a success.

Secondly, I *KNOW* we don't have access to the DB, I have run privately hosted phpbb before and I know about databases. If you read my post again, I said if we were able to PURCHASE a copy of our database. This does not require US to do anything - forumotion gets the copy of the database for us, sends it to us via email for a fee, and then closes our forumotion forum. We are then able to use that database backup to setup our forum on our own hosting elsewhere. Other free hosts have offered this service for years. No security issue whatsoever.

A higher post count on a support forum does not make you any more knowledgable than those with a lower one Wink
matt_m
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna September 9th 2009, 11:58 am

Typlo wrote:I'm sorry for any disturbance that may be caused by these ads.
No announcement was made simply because we we're not sure, at that time, if it would be a temporary measure or not.

Can you give us any information about when you will be able to tell us if this is temporary or not?
Rhianna

Language : Croatian

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_m September 9th 2009, 11:59 am

Well, thank you Typlo for posting and letting us know that this is not a glitch but something forumotion have imposed, as I said previously forumotion google ads are showing to members aswell? - Page 2 Icon_smile . My assumption was correct.
matt_m
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_m September 9th 2009, 12:01 pm

Can you give us any information about when you will be able to tell us if this is temporary or not?

I think Typlo has sort of just said that due to financial reasons the ads need to be displayed. Not in so many words but it seems that way.

I don't blame forumotion for that, I understand that running forumotion costs money. My issue was us having no warning. Now typlo has explained there was no warning because at that time, it wasn't known if it was tempoary or not Smile.
matt_m
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next