The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guests on forum

2 posters

Go down

Guests on forum Empty Guests on forum

Post by alicia November 6th 2009, 9:38 pm

Hello

I have a small forum - only 25 members - and it is a closed forum. Guests cannot access the forum prior to registration and membership is by invitation only to protect my members.

We recently had trouble with 2 new members who had to be removed because they were causing division.

Since then there are a lot of guests constantly listed in the 'who is online' panel. although these guests cannot get into the forum it is unsettling to see them there. We suspect one of these troublemakers has posted the link to our forum on another site.

Would you suggest I change the domain name or can you reassure me categorically that there is absolutely no way anyone can access the forum without permission. some of these hackers are clever, I know.

I have a responsibility to protect my members, who, due to illness and disability are vulnerable.

Thank you, Alicia
alicia
alicia
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Guests on forum Empty Re: Guests on forum

Post by Sanket November 6th 2009, 9:42 pm

I can assure you that they cannot access the forum, if you have the permissions set correctly.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia November 6th 2009, 9:59 pm

Thank you Sanket. I definitely have the permissions set to Members and Groups. None of them are set to guests.

You hear of hackers accessing all sorts of sites and things and I felt vulnerable. This troublemaker was not a nice person.

We have been down this road before at the beginning of the year when a troublemaker destroyed our forum (we were not with Forumotion then). We don't want to go through it again.

Thank you for your reassurance.
alicia
alicia
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket November 6th 2009, 10:12 pm

I can understand the pain of getting hacked. Just to keep it simple, have a strong password for you admin account & foremost is to relax yourself Smile
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766
Language : English

Back to top Go down