The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Show Profile Edits in Moderator Log

+10
Darren1
Ape
LH Justin
spirit09
Dumbledore27
Graphoil
that70sguy92
StoneRaven
Walshy95
Gasol_The_Great
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should Profile Edits Be Shown in the Moderator Log?

Show Profile Edits in Moderator Log Left1194%Show Profile Edits in Moderator Log Right11 94% 
[ 30 ]
Show Profile Edits in Moderator Log Left116%Show Profile Edits in Moderator Log Right11 6% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 32

Show Profile Edits in Moderator Log Empty Show Profile Edits in Moderator Log

Post by Gasol_The_Great August 24th 2010, 6:54 pm

This is one of the biggest flaws with Forumotion forums IMO. And that is the fact that if a field(s) in a member's profile is edited, it does not appear in the moderator log (or anywhere for that matter). So basically, there is no way to track profile edits and their really should be.

I have had a few encounters with "rogue moderators" on my forum and instead of deleting/editing posts etc., they edited profile fields for members and replaced the content with inappropriate comments.

These "rogue moderators" have also changed the warn level for members (for no reason), which is extremely inconvenient.

And the biggest disappointment is, there is virtually no way for us to track down these bad moderators with the current forumotion setup.

So my suggestion is, profile field edits should ALWAYS be displayed in the moderator log.

If you agree, vote YES now!!!
Gasol_The_Great
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Show Profile Edits in Moderator Log Empty Re: Show Profile Edits in Moderator Log

Post by Walshy95 August 24th 2010, 10:13 pm

I agree. Voted yes.
Walshy95
Walshy95
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1308

Back to top Go down

Show Profile Edits in Moderator Log Empty Re: Show Profile Edits in Moderator Log

Post by StoneRaven August 24th 2010, 10:17 pm

Agreed on this one for sure. This way it will help the founders keep track of trouble and ho caused it so the proper actions can be taken. Very good idea, and a preventive measure as well if the mods know that this is something you can see as well.
StoneRaven
StoneRaven
Forumember

Male Posts : 142

Back to top Go down

Post by that70sguy92 August 25th 2010, 2:33 am

Yes. This is becoming a problem on my forum.
that70sguy92
that70sguy92
Forumember

Male Posts : 287

http://sbcommunity.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Gasol_The_Great August 25th 2010, 2:44 am

This may seem like a foolish question, but when (if ever) will this suggestion be seen, considered, and hopefully applied by Forumotion staff?
Gasol_The_Great
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Graphoil August 25th 2010, 10:08 am

Whenever it receives enough votes , and to get you that much closer, yes.
Graphoil
Graphoil
Forumember

Language : Spanish

http://isupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dumbledore27 August 25th 2010, 11:26 am

I'm voting yes

(and I know why you suggested this Razz)
Dumbledore27
Forumember

Male Posts : 632
Language : Online
Location : Error 403 - You do not have the permission to view this item's value

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest August 25th 2010, 11:47 am

Nice idea Wink Voted yes Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by spirit09 August 26th 2010, 12:38 am

voted yes - I currently have very trustworthy Mods, but for those who dont this would be very useful
spirit09
spirit09
Forumember

Female Posts : 186

http://www.ourspiritualhome.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LH Justin August 26th 2010, 12:52 am

But then I can't deface profiles anymore. Sad
LH Justin
LH Justin
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 3686

Back to top Go down

Post by Gasol_The_Great August 26th 2010, 7:31 am

LH Justin wrote:But then I can't deface profiles anymore. Sad

That is exactly the point. Wink

Razz
Gasol_The_Great
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape August 26th 2010, 8:16 pm

You have my vote 100%

Show Profile Edits in Moderator Log Left1212Show Profile Edits in Moderator Log Center11Show Profile Edits in Moderator Log Right112
Show Profile Edits in Moderator Log Ape_b110
Show Profile Edits in Moderator Log Ape1010
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 19122
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gasol_The_Great August 27th 2010, 5:07 am

Dumbledore27 wrote:I'm voting yes

(and I know why you suggested this Razz)
Obviously Razz

Right now, there is a MAJOR loop hole in the Forumotion security system. Bad moderators can do a large amount of harm to a forum by just editing person's profiles.

This needs to be changed! Vote yes now!!!
Gasol_The_Great
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by LH Justin August 27th 2010, 5:56 am

Gasol_The_Great wrote:
LH Justin wrote:But then I can't deface profiles anymore. Sad

That is exactly the point. Wink

Razz
Fine, ruin my fun. TT

Seriously though, I don't think it's that important. Personally I find it better not to know what your moderators are doing at every second. If you don't trust someone then I highly suggest you don't hire them.
LH Justin
LH Justin
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Gasol_The_Great August 27th 2010, 7:58 am

Fine, ruin my fun. TT

Seriously though, I don't think it's that important. Personally I find it better not to know what your moderators are doing at every second. If you don't trust someone then I highly suggest you don't hire them.
This matter isn't about trust, my friend, it is about security.

I believe it is very common for "bad moderators" to act as though they are trustworthy members, and as soon as they are given moderator powers, they abuse them and terrorize the site. Not to mention that there are thousands of Forumotion users out there who are not all that careful when it comes to choosing staff.

If Forumotion is going to provide Administrators with a Moderator Log to ensure the integrity of their staff, then I personally believe it should include ALL actions taken by moderators throughout the forum. There is no point in having the log if there is an important aspect that it leaves unmonitored. With the current system not being able to detect profile edits, it is (in a way) like not having a moderator monitoring tool at all.

I agree that trust is an important factor when it comes to your staff, but wouldn't it be to your liking if Forumotion where to provide a fail safe tool just incase a situation where to arise? Besides, if moderators wish to take upon the duties of their positions, then they must understand that their actions can and will be monitored. It is simply a part of the job. If they don't like you "looking over their shoulder" then they are more than free to resign.

Im sorry, but in many cases "trust" just wont cut it. As the old saying goes "it is better to be safe than sorry".
Gasol_The_Great
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 August 27th 2010, 8:44 am

Voted Yes.

This has nothing to do with security, but isn't necessarily a matter of "trust" either I must admit.

I have been an admin of a very successful forum, and yes, this does occur when you turn your back for too long, even when u have 2 other's there to cover your arse TT

But seriously, as much as I believe this is the fault of admins who can't pick a trust able moderating team, I believe this could potentially assist those administrator's, and rapidly dissolve whom are being mischievous.
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by Gasol_The_Great August 27th 2010, 10:50 pm

Who voted no? Evil or Very Mad Sad
Gasol_The_Great
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by LH Justin August 28th 2010, 1:04 am

Gasol_The_Great wrote:
Fine, ruin my fun. TT

This matter isn't about trust, my friend, it is about security.

I believe it is very common for "bad moderators" to act as though they are trustworthy members, and as soon as they are given moderator powers, they abuse them and terrorize the site. Not to mention that there are thousands of Forumotion users out there who are not all that careful when it comes to choosing staff.

If Forumotion is going to provide Administrators with a Moderator Log to ensure the integrity of their staff, then I personally believe it should include ALL actions taken by moderators throughout the forum. There is no point in having the log if there is an important aspect that it leaves unmonitored. With the current system not being able to detect profile edits, it is (in a way) like not having a moderator monitoring tool at all.

I agree that trust is an important factor when it comes to your staff, but wouldn't it be to your liking if Forumotion where to provide a fail safe tool just incase a situation where to arise? Besides, if moderators wish to take upon the duties of their positions, then they must understand that their actions can and will be monitored. It is simply a part of the job. If they don't like you "looking over their shoulder" then they are more than free to resign.

Im sorry, but in many cases "trust" just wont cut it. As the old saying goes "it is better to be safe than sorry".
Personally I don't want a moderator log clogging up the page. The basic text one we have now is fine. And honestly, if you hire a bad moderator the fault is on you. And trust does cut it, a bad member will act bad, and a good member will act good. If you can't tell the difference between them, then they haven't been on your forum long enough or you don't pay attention to your own forum. Simple rule: if you don't know someone don't hire them.

Also, I don't want an entry in the log every time someone edits something. Can you imagine a mod box like this?

Mod Box wrote:First reminder given. - LH Justin
Second reminder given. - LH Justin
First warning given. - LH Justin
Store item #3 added. - LH Justin
Username changed. - LH Justin
Second Warning given. - LH Justin
Warnings removed. - LH Justin
First reminder given. - LH Justin
Second reminder given. - LH Justin
First Warning given. - LH Justin
Store Item #15 added. - LH Justin
Store Item #9 added. - LH Justin
Location changed. - LH Justin
Username changed. - LH Justin
Second Warning given. - LH Justin
Third warning given. - LH Justin
Store item #24 purchased. - LH Justin
I mean, you seriously want that? Although there is no way to detect certain fields so it would probably look more like this.
Mod Box wrote:Profile edited by LH Justin. 8/27/10
Profile edited by LH Justin. 8/28/10
Profile edited by LH Justin. 8/29/10
Profile edited by LH Justin. 8/30/10
Profile edited by LH Justin. 8/31/10
Profile edited by LH Justin. 9/1/10
Profile edited by LH Justin. 9/2/10
Profile edited by LH Justin. 9/3/10
Profile edited by LH Justin. 9/3/10
Profile edited by LH Justin. 9/5/10
Profile edited by LH Justin. 9/6/10
Profile edited by LH Justin. 9/7/10
Profile edited by LH Justin. 9/8/10
Profile edited by LH Justin. 9/9/10
Profile edited by LH Justin. 9/10/10
Profile edited by LH Justin. 9/11/10
Profile edited by LH Justin. 9/12/10
Oh yes, what a splendid suggestion this is. Show Profile Edits in Moderator Log Redface
LH Justin
LH Justin
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 August 28th 2010, 1:56 am

What just is saying is the reason why I hesitated to vote, but for the newer administrators, I voted yes, for their behalf only Wink

But no, I'd hate to have a log that looks like that :red:
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by Gasol_The_Great August 28th 2010, 2:08 am

Well perhaps Forumotion could also add an option to clear out the entire mod log, or just delete certain entries.

Besides, unless moderators are editing people's profiles ALL THE TIME and thats all they do, that is most certainly not how the log would look.
Gasol_The_Great
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by LH Justin August 28th 2010, 2:10 am

Gasol_The_Great wrote:Well perhaps Forumotion could also add an option to clear out the entire mod log, or just delete certain entries.

Besides, unless moderators are editing people's profiles ALL THE TIME and thats all they do, that is most certainly not how the log would look.
You'd be surprised how much profile editing is done on certain forums.
LH Justin
LH Justin
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Gasol_The_Great August 28th 2010, 2:14 am

LH Justin wrote:
Gasol_The_Great wrote:Well perhaps Forumotion could also add an option to clear out the entire mod log, or just delete certain entries.

Really? What else is actually done besides lowering warn levels and possibly removing inappropriate content on occcasion? In all my years working on Forumotion forums as both an Admin and a Moderator, I RARELY have edited profiles more than a half dozen times per week.

It is easily the least common moderator action IMO...

Besides, if we were given the option to delete entries in the log (or maybe even an auto-prune) I dont think there would be a problem even on forums where profile edits are common.
Gasol_The_Great
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by LH Justin August 28th 2010, 2:20 am

Gasol_The_Great wrote:
LH Justin wrote:

Really? What else is actually done besides lowering warn levels and possibly removing inappropriate content on occcasion? In all my years working on Forumotion forums as both an Admin and a Moderator, I RARELY have edited profiles more than a half dozen times per week.

It is easily the least common moderator action IMO...

Besides, if we were given the option to delete entries in the log (or maybe even an auto-prune) I dont think there would be a problem even on forums where profile edits are common.
Role playing forums? Forums with point/store features? Apparently in all your year"s" of working on Forumotion forums, you haven't been on any that really utilize Forumotion's profile field to it's full potential. Why would you want to spend your time deleting security archives? Administrators and moderators already have enough work to do. This feature seems more like a useless hassle than an improvement.

Edit: A better suggestion would be that whenever a member is banned, it says who banned them. Fields are easy to fix, and this sounds a lot more practical.
LH Justin
LH Justin
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Naki August 28th 2010, 3:00 am

Very good idea and a preventive measure for the founders.
My vote yes Very Happy
Naki
Naki
Forumember

Male Posts : 175
Language : Albanian, English, Croatian, Polish

http://naki.albanianforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Gasol_The_Great September 5th 2010, 7:34 am

So is this going to be accepted? Very Happy

It has 92% YES votes!! Smile
Gasol_The_Great
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by LH Justin September 5th 2010, 8:17 am

Gasol_The_Great wrote:So is this going to be accepted? Very Happy

It has 92% YES votes!! Smile
It only has 15 votes though. Razz

Usually Techs don't even notice them until they get in the hundreds.
LH Justin
LH Justin
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by blindbat1457 September 5th 2010, 8:32 am

I voted no.

Rather not have the admin box clogged up with user updates. Big forums that would annoy the crap out of you.

I don't care what users do to their profiles. It already shows when moderators edit a profile.
blindbat1457
blindbat1457
Forumember

Male Posts : 667

Back to top Go down

Post by Gasol_The_Great September 15th 2010, 8:06 am

blindbat1457 wrote:I voted no.

Rather not have the admin box clogged up with user updates. Big forums that would annoy the crap out of you.

I don't care what users do to their profiles. It already shows when moderators edit a profile.
No it doesnt! That is the entire point of this suggestion.

Also, I think people may be confused about what Im suggesting here. Im NOT saying that whenever anybody edits a profile it should show up in the mod log, Im saying that whenever a MODERATOR edits a profile it should show up in the log.
Gasol_The_Great
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by PeaceMe September 15th 2010, 9:42 am

- > Voted yes.
PeaceMe
PeaceMe
Forumember

Female Posts : 149

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 16th 2010, 7:01 pm

I agree and voted yes. I too have had a recent experience where a member that was assigned into a special rank and some how they were able to edit members profiles. The group and rank they were in had no moderator permissions so i think thats a flaw on forumotions part. In any case they edited a few profiles and then i had realized myself when a few people told me they werent putting those things on their profile and are not sure how it got there. I figured out who it was but I had no hardcore evidence or records of these incidence.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next