The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can I add copyright message?

3 posters

Go down

Can I add copyright message? Empty Can I add copyright message?

Post by PlatinumWata January 14th 2011, 2:18 pm

My forum has banner's and images that was made by the members on the forum. However, the skin itself is a custom one of hitskin, and I changed a few things over the CSS.

Can I add my copyright message? I didnt make skin so not sure if im allowed....I want it to say that C circle, and then GFX Freeze.
PlatinumWata
PlatinumWata
Forumember

Male Posts : 447
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Can I add copyright message? Empty Re: Can I add copyright message?

Post by Jophy January 14th 2011, 11:20 pm

I think you can as long as you're only pertaining to add copyright rule on the images not on the theme your using.
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 January 14th 2011, 11:43 pm

Hi,

ofcause you can, you just have to make a note saying that the skin came free from hitskin.com ; or that, the images are copyrighted, and of cause put a water marked ©️ in the images Wink
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by PlatinumWata January 15th 2011, 2:18 am

Ganstar told me I didnt have to say I got it from hitskin.,...i changed a few things using the CSS...

Let me know?
PlatinumWata
PlatinumWata
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 January 16th 2011, 4:49 am

Sorry, my mistake, Gangstar is right, because hitskin is a free skin provider exclusive to Forumotion. There's copyrights all over hitskin to cover that.

How the heck did I miss that? ...

Yes, you are right to add in your own copyright, as I mentioned above.
It is also advised to put a small signature to the image, as well as a water based ©️ to it as well.

On PHPBB3, the code to edit the footer is there, but I don't remember it off hand, Ill need more than 2 mins to find it. Sorry.
it's got soemthing about .stats or /stats off hand?
Plus then, I believe it can only be text, but I'm doubting that... Feel free to correct me please, I'd appreciate it Wink
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by PlatinumWata January 16th 2011, 5:55 am

© 2010 Bla Bla | All Rights Reserved

If my website was called Bla Bla, would that be right? How do you know what year to add? Is it the year the website was made or?

Also, do I add anything else?

For the images...why do I put a C on images? Doesnt the copyright text cover that?
PlatinumWata
PlatinumWata
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 January 17th 2011, 2:32 am

RE:

Ill go into some depth,
If your images were made in 2010, that the copy right starts in 2010, so you write 2010 -2011 (or just write 2011 as it's easier)
If your site was create a while back, for example, 2001, you would have the copyright as 2001 - 2011.

The ©️ is short for "copyright". When you see ©️ 2001 - 2012 that's the time frame it's been in place for.
Your art work is yours, and is under a special type of copyright, something like personal copyright, but im not sure of it's proper legal term

The use of the text "Copyright" is for those whom don't understand what the ©️ means, or those that don't see it. It's not a requirement to my understanding
For images, only put the ©️, and extra text just kills a damn good image Wink

Why I'm suggesting that and a water based personal signature is that sometimes you may take for example, topic icons to another forum that doesn't have your copyright in place - It shows that it's copyrighted with the ©️ , and your signature is unique to you, so you should be able to recognise your artwork by your signature.

Yes, ©️ Copyright 2011 Site Name | All rights reserved. would be correct Smile

Regards,
Darren.
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by PlatinumWata January 17th 2011, 3:59 am

Thanks for explaining mate Wink

However, if I have ©️ 2011 Bla Bla | All right reserved, can someone steal my images?

Because if we have logos, and icons, putting a C over it would cover alot of the image. It would spoil it.

Let me know mate Wink

IMO, I would assume copyright covers the images, and skin, but im no expert so could be wrong.
PlatinumWata
PlatinumWata
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 January 17th 2011, 5:49 am

You are completely correct, copyright covers everything, it even covers this here text and this conversation (yes it's silly but heck the law is the law haha).

Any image can be "stolen" if it's online.
If you right click on the image, and left click on the "View image location" you can take it to your forum/website or can download it by clicking the "Save image" and re upload it from there (Or you could of re uploaded it via that link)
An example, I know the link to ur avatar is: https://2img.net/u/3412/19/22/63/avatars/40689-34.png
and it is this: Can I add copyright message? 40689-34 because I right clicked on the image and copied the URL and pasted it here.

Alternatively, if you say, disabled the use of right click (which is kinda silly anyways) I could hit CTRL+U on my keyboard and get the page source and get everything on the page, just gotta find the image I want.
Or otherwise on FF I could go View > Page source which you can never cancel out these two options TT

That's just as vulnerable as leaving $50, 000 in ur car's passenger seats.
Someone's going to take it ..... eventually.

The ©️ doesn't have to be much more than 2px in size Smile
If you don't wish to have the ©️ in the images, you don't have to, I'm not sure what international law states, but I'm pretty sure the French laws would cover here, and would be similar to Aussie laws, where, if it's YOUR work, it IS AUTOMATICALLY copyrighted. That's without any ©️ or legal notices Wink
Otherwise some singers wouldn't be as rich as they currently are Razz

I always say it's better to be save then sorry, because it's the internet, and there's all sorts of things you don't need to know going on, and the laws & precedents/cases are many light years behind, and are not speeding up any time soon.

Regards,
Darren.
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by PlatinumWata January 17th 2011, 4:33 pm

Darren1 wrote:You are completely correct, copyright covers everything, it even covers this here text and this conversation (yes it's silly but heck the law is the law haha).

Any image can be "stolen" if it's online.
If you right click on the image, and left click on the "View image location" you can take it to your forum/website or can download it by clicking the "Save image" and re upload it from there (Or you could of re uploaded it via that link)
An example, I know the link to ur avatar is: https://2img.net/u/3412/19/22/63/avatars/40689-34.png
and it is this: Can I add copyright message? 40689-34 because I right clicked on the image and copied the URL and pasted it here.

Alternatively, if you say, disabled the use of right click (which is kinda silly anyways) I could hit CTRL+U on my keyboard and get the page source and get everything on the page, just gotta find the image I want.
Or otherwise on FF I could go View > Page source which you can never cancel out these two options TT

That's just as vulnerable as leaving $50, 000 in ur car's passenger seats.
Someone's going to take it ..... eventually.

The ©️ doesn't have to be much more than 2px in size Smile
If you don't wish to have the ©️ in the images, you don't have to, I'm not sure what international law states, but I'm pretty sure the French laws would cover here, and would be similar to Aussie laws, where, if it's YOUR work, it IS AUTOMATICALLY copyrighted. That's without any ©️ or legal notices Wink
Otherwise some singers wouldn't be as rich as they currently are Razz

I always say it's better to be save then sorry, because it's the internet, and there's all sorts of things you don't need to know going on, and the laws & precedents/cases are many light years behind, and are not speeding up any time soon.

Regards,
Darren.

Thanks mate for helping Wink

However, I have a banner, which is about 500 X 200. Then the blue which is background of the deafult banner is same color. So if I put a C it would only go on banner in thw middle and not in corners. How I fix this?
PlatinumWata
PlatinumWata
Forumember

Back to top Go down