The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can restrict each moderator power to each group

+8
yourbezzie
mpelmmc
ddoesmc
Ikerepc
runawayhorses
mangaka
Derri
invisible_fa
12 posters

Go down

Do you like the idea?

Can restrict each moderator power to each group Left1186%Can restrict each moderator power to each group Right11 86% 
[ 19 ]
Can restrict each moderator power to each group Left1114%Can restrict each moderator power to each group Right11 14% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 22

Poll closed

Can restrict each moderator power to each group Empty Can restrict each moderator power to each group

Post by invisible_fa July 10th 2013, 1:32 pm

Hello.

I hope all you undestand what I am going to suggest. If not, just ask and I will answer every doubt about the suggestion as soon as I can

The suggestion is as follows:

When we create a Moderators Group, we check the checkbox "moderator", so that means that the users belonging to that group will can moderate that section.

Ok, but moderation powers allows that person to:

-Delete posts
-Split posts
-Edit content
-Move posts
-Melt posts

What if I don´t wanna give that group all that permissions?

Imagine that you have several Staff groups, lets say:

-Recent Staff
-Global Staff
-Senior Staff

Imagine that you want that the "Recent Staff" group only can move posts, but not delete posts.

With the actual system, is not possible to restrict this.

So, what I am suggesting is that when you create a group, you would be able to select what moderation outils will they can use:

Can this group delete posts? [Checkbox yes/no]
Can this group move posts? [Checkbox yes/no]

Etc etc with each moderation permission.

This would be a huge security improvement because we could set what things can do each moderator group and wich things can´t.

In the original PHPBB system you can do that, so, if Forumotion is based on PHPBB this option should be added.

Last edited by invisible_fa on July 10th 2013, 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
invisible_fa
invisible_fa
Forumember

Male Posts : 964
Language : Klingon
Location : Does it matter? I'm Invisible, you will not see me anyway

Back to top Go down

Can restrict each moderator power to each group Empty Re: Can restrict each moderator power to each group

Post by Derri July 10th 2013, 1:43 pm

Sounds good, restricting moderation power is a good thing, voted yes.
Derri
Derri
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 8755
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Can restrict each moderator power to each group Empty Re: Can restrict each moderator power to each group

Post by mangaka July 10th 2013, 2:04 pm

Sounds great!My forum have a lot of Staff Group.So i think i need this Wink voted yes Wink
mangaka
mangaka
Forumember

Female Posts : 121
Language : Indonesia

Back to top Go down

Post by invisible_fa July 15th 2013, 5:42 pm

Bump Wink
invisible_fa
invisible_fa
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by invisible_fa July 23rd 2013, 4:52 pm

BUMP Wink
invisible_fa
invisible_fa
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by invisible_fa July 28th 2013, 10:53 pm

BUMP Wink
invisible_fa
invisible_fa
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by invisible_fa August 13th 2013, 10:35 pm

BUMP
invisible_fa
invisible_fa
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by invisible_fa August 20th 2013, 2:45 am

BUMP Wink 
invisible_fa
invisible_fa
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by invisible_fa August 30th 2013, 2:36 am

BUMP Very Happy 
invisible_fa
invisible_fa
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by invisible_fa September 5th 2013, 10:45 pm

BUMP Very Happy 
invisible_fa
invisible_fa
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 5th 2013, 11:08 pm

I don't see the point in this,as you can already choose to give moderators individual powers. You can either add them to the admin group(with the crown) to give them full admin rights. 

Or you can create different usergroups and have one group moderate the whole forum and other groups moderate one or two forums. Usergroups have different powers depending on how you set them up. Voted No BTW.

Back to top Go down

Post by invisible_fa September 7th 2013, 3:06 am

Andrea Borman wrote:I don't see the point in this,as you can already choose to give moderators individual powers. You can either add them to the admin group(with the crown) to give them full admin rights. 

Or you can create different usergroups and have one group moderate the whole forum and other groups moderate one or two forums. Usergroups have different powers depending on how you set them up. Voted No BTW.
Ok, I respect all opinions, but I think you didn´t undestood my suggestion...

I know that you can give individual permissions, but that is not what I am talking about...

Just think about this: you wanna make that one of your Staff groups will not can ban members, but you don´t want to make this users CoAdmins.

What would you do? You can do anything....because if you let Staff ban members, ALL the Staff will can do it...and if you don´t allow it, any of the Staff (except from Founder and CoAdmins) will can ban...

This is just an example...

Besides, if you wanna restrict moderator actions, you can´t do anything...because when you make someone moderator he/she will be able to use all of them...

You should read the suggestion aggain, so you will really undestand it and maybe your vote will change Wink

invisible_fa
invisible_fa
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 7th 2013, 3:15 am

Well a moderator or admin cannot ban another admin or moderator,they can only ban ordinary members. So there is no danger of the admin or founder being banned. You can also remove an admin or moderator from the staff group,then they become members again.

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses September 7th 2013, 4:08 am

From what I'm understanding hes talking about assigning individual power capabilities such as "move topic" and "delete topic" to particular groups that can only use that power in a particular forum or all of them, and another group may have capabilities to ban a member in one particular forum or all of them. Its about breaking up the power and assigning it to groups.

It could get complicated and messy and I'll never use it, but I'll vote yes for those that want to play around with that stuff.
runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Language : English

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 7th 2013, 4:15 am

runawayhorses wrote:From what I'm understanding hes talking about assigning individual power capabilities such as "move topic" and "delete topic" to particular groups that can only use that power in a particular forum or all of them, and another group may have capabilities to ban a member in one particular forum or all of them. Its about breaking up the power and assigning it to groups.

It could get complicated and messy and I'll never use it, but I'll vote yes for those that want to play around with that stuff.
But we already have this with usergroups. When you create usergroups and put members into them you can assign that group different powers.

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses September 7th 2013, 4:17 am

Not to the extent the OP's suggesting. For example, you can't give one user group the power to only move a topic and not delete it.
runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 7th 2013, 6:37 am

runawayhorses wrote:Not to the extent the OP's suggesting. For example, you can't give one user group the power to only move a topic and not delete it.
That's right. Because when you create usergroups to give them different rights you have to tick the boxes under each forum or sub-forum. So when you tick the moderate forum box,that then gives that group full moderation powers for that forum.
So yes you are right in you cannot give individual members or groups different moderation powers.

Back to top Go down

Post by invisible_fa October 1st 2013, 9:58 pm

BUMP :wouhou:
invisible_fa
invisible_fa
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by invisible_fa October 7th 2013, 7:00 pm

BUMP Wink
invisible_fa
invisible_fa
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Ikerepc October 30th 2013, 9:13 am

I vote no. I think it isn't good idea, so sorry, but no.
Ikerepc
Ikerepc
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1186
Language : Who cares...

http://admins.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by invisible_fa November 6th 2013, 9:50 pm

BUMP Wink
invisible_fa
invisible_fa
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by ddoesmc November 13th 2013, 1:06 pm

Good idea! Voted yes

-ddoesmc
ddoesmc
ddoesmc
Forumember

Male Posts : 283
Language : Mainly english

http://www.officialmc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by invisible_fa November 20th 2013, 10:25 pm

BUMP Dawa
invisible_fa
invisible_fa
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by mpelmmc November 28th 2013, 5:02 am

Voted yes. Great idea (always from you Very Happy)
Greetings invisible Wink
mpelmmc
mpelmmc
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 1092
Language : English and Spanish

https://help.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by yourbezzie December 1st 2013, 7:49 pm

I'd love to be able to do this on my forum
yourbezzie

http://gothclub.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by invisible_fa December 9th 2013, 9:06 pm

BUMP  Very Happy
invisible_fa
invisible_fa
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by paranoid092 December 22nd 2013, 12:23 pm

It would be a great idea, to allow moderators to be only allowed to alter, certain forums and category, as this would allow section leaders only to modify their section or specific category/forum thread,, I know this is available on other phbb3 forum systems as I have used it before
paranoid092
paranoid092
Forumember

Male Posts : 39

http://worldwidebushcraft.forum-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Selvester December 23rd 2013, 10:13 am

Hmm... Quite interesting. I can't say that I would use it myself however I do think it is a good idea. It may help other members. I will vote yes. Wink
Selvester
Selvester
Forumember

Female Posts : 255
Language : English, French (little bit)

http://rp-central.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape December 23rd 2013, 5:16 pm

I like the sound of it to you get my Vote

Can restrict each moderator power to each group Left1212Can restrict each moderator power to each group Center11Can restrict each moderator power to each group Right112
Can restrict each moderator power to each group Ape_b110
Can restrict each moderator power to each group Ape1010
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 19122
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy May 15th 2014, 8:19 am

There's already a similar suggestion for this. Please use the search function.

Thanks.
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down