The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Threaded View vs Flat or Linear View

3 posters

Go down

Threaded View vs Flat or Linear View Empty Threaded View vs Flat or Linear View

Post by DUTCH VanAtlanta Wed 2 Apr - 4:06

How can I activate a Threaded View in my forums vs the standard flat or linear view? Is it possible?

TIA.

DUTCH
DUTCH VanAtlanta

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Threaded View vs Flat or Linear View Empty Re: Threaded View vs Flat or Linear View

Post by zakir321 Wed 2 Apr - 17:24

Try to choose another index packing in "General / Homepage / Hierarchy". There are six to choose from - just test them and see what fits your forum best. Smile
zakir321

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Threaded View vs Flat or Linear View Empty Re: Threaded View vs Flat or Linear View

Post by travis_cooper Wed 2 Apr - 17:35

Do you mean a different way to view the replies to a thread? I have seen it done on other forums, although I personally hate it, when its not a flat view. Just so I'm clear, are you wanting the replies to show up as a tree like structure rather than just one post after another? I don't know of a way to do this.
travis_cooper
travis_cooper
Forumember

Male Posts : 698

http://photochallenge.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DUTCH VanAtlanta Wed 2 Apr - 17:42

travis_cooper wrote:Do you mean a different way to view the replies to a thread? I have seen it done on other forums, although I personally hate it, when its not a flat view. Just so I'm clear, are you wanting the replies to show up as a tree like structure rather than just one post after another? I don't know of a way to do this.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. It enables one to see who is replying to which message in the complete thread without the need to quote the earlier message; and helps make a whole lot more sense out of long discussions by many different posters.

If it's not available in phpBB2, it's a serious detriment, in my opinion.
DUTCH VanAtlanta

Back to top Go down

Post by travis_cooper Wed 2 Apr - 17:46

Well, I can't find a way to do it. I'm using version 3, but I'm guessing it is the same in version 2. You can always suggest it in the suggestions section.
travis_cooper
travis_cooper
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by DUTCH VanAtlanta Wed 2 Apr - 18:12

travis_cooper wrote:Well, I can't find a way to do it. I'm using version 3, but I'm guessing it is the same in version 2. You can always suggest it in the suggestions section.

Good idea. Thanks.
DUTCH VanAtlanta

Back to top Go down

Post by travis_cooper Wed 2 Apr - 18:13

When you do it, you might want to include some screen shots to show what you mean. Some people probably don't know what that is, so they won't really understand what you're suggesting. Also make sure to add a poll to your suggestion, with yes or no as the options so people can vote on whether or not they like the idea.
travis_cooper
travis_cooper
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by DUTCH VanAtlanta Wed 2 Apr - 18:25

travis_cooper wrote:When you do it, you might want to include some screen shots to show what you mean. Some people probably don't know what that is, so they won't really understand what you're suggesting. Also make sure to add a poll to your suggestion, with yes or no as the options so people can vote on whether or not they like the idea.

No poll, but I did post a screen shot to illustrate.
DUTCH VanAtlanta

Back to top Go down

Post by travis_cooper Wed 2 Apr - 18:26

You need to post a poll so other members can vote on it. That is how the suggestion section works. Just add a simple yes no poll so they can vote.
travis_cooper
travis_cooper
Forumember

Back to top Go down