The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How can I make a VIP category viewable to members but not accesible?

4 posters

Go down

How can I make a VIP category viewable to members but not accesible? Empty How can I make a VIP category viewable to members but not accesible?

Post by heybe July 15th 2008, 4:25 am

Hi,

I've been looking for this answer for a few hours and I can't seem to find it. I'm sure it's something easy.. but anyway, I have this forum with a VIP category - where only members who have donated can access. Right now, guests and normal members can't even see this category.. it's like it's private. I really want to let them see the category but not access it. You know what I mean? Like they know it's there and it sucks that they can't access it. Very Happy

Thanks in advance,

heybe
heybe

Language : English

Back to top Go down

How can I make a VIP category viewable to members but not accesible? Empty Re: How can I make a VIP category viewable to members but not accesible?

Post by sweet_potato July 15th 2008, 4:55 am

then create a new category/forum just for VIP

panel==>General==>Forums and Category

Click the Plus green button to add a new category then set the permision..

Save..

Done..

hope it helps!
sweet_potato
sweet_potato
Forumember

Female Posts : 359
Language : english

http://www.dcboard.tk/

Back to top Go down

How can I make a VIP category viewable to members but not accesible? Empty Re: How can I make a VIP category viewable to members but not accesible?

Post by Saurus July 15th 2008, 6:41 am

Two steps to this, actually...

First, he needs to create a Group named "VIP", and then manually add each person he wants to that group.

Then he needs to create a Category and a Forum in it for the special things he wants to keep for VIP's. After that he needs to set the read/write permissions for that Category to the VIP group.
Saurus
Forumember

Male Posts : 789

http://sunrisers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by heybe July 15th 2008, 11:30 am

I already have a VIP group and a VIP category which is working ok for those who are in the VIP group. But I want the none-VIP people to be able to see the category but when the enter it, it's supposed to say "Sorry, only members granted special rights can access here" .. or something like that..
heybe

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by sweet_potato July 15th 2008, 12:01 pm

Set the permisions of ur category
sweet_potato
sweet_potato
Forumember

Female Posts : 359

http://www.dcboard.tk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Saurus July 15th 2008, 4:48 pm

heybe wrote: But I want the none-VIP people to be able to see the category but when the enter it, it's supposed to say "Sorry, only members granted special rights can access here" .. or something like that..

Put that in the descriptions of the Forums in that Category.
Saurus
Forumember

Male Posts : 789

http://sunrisers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.Killerguitar July 28th 2008, 7:23 am

okay, this is quite not right -.-'
You CAN'T settle permissions to a category, but to your forums. I have only forums which can't be entered by anyone, not a whole category, but what I will tell you know works also.

Go to your admin panel (of course) >> General >> Categories and Forms >> take one of the forums in your VIP Category >> click on permissions (there are two tabs, modify and permissions) >> Click on "advantaged" >> mark the first field "View the Forum" and leave the rest blank, for normal members
If you do so, the normal members can see the forum and the moment they click on it they get the message they're not allowed to. If you do it like this, your members can see every forum you have in that category. If you don't want them to see it, make a forum called eg "VIP-Area" and put all the other forums in it, then your normal members only see there is a special area but not what is in it.

This works 100%, I use it on my own forum (look into my user profile)

You have to care of course, that sub-level links are not shown^^
Mr.Killerguitar
Mr.Killerguitar
Forumember

Male Posts : 388
Language : German, English, some indo-european stuff

http://steal-this-site.forumieren.de/

Back to top Go down