The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The spam problem isn't fixed ;(

3 posters

Go down

Solved The spam problem isn't fixed ;(

Post by scripttester123 April 22nd 2009, 10:42 pm

Read about it here: https://help.forumotion.com/other-problems-f46/we-have-a-major-spam-problem-t41504.htm
I'm making a new topic since that one was closed.
Well, I didn't get rid of the spammers, but all your suggestions are slowing them down! Thanks! I found out that this is actually a big problem going around all the major fan sites for this game. This guy is also spam posting on major sites like Yahoo Answers. Now I know I'm not being directly targeted which is good. I'll keep updating if I get any new info. Again, the suggestions really are helpful so thanks!

EDIT: Here is some new info:
I usually get around 2 or 3 new members a day. Since yesterday (when this started), there have been 161 new members (obviously, almost all these are the spammer).
The user seems to be advertising nothing he simply posts a link to the game home-page, I really don't know what his motivation is or what he is gaining.
All the IP addresses are different for all the posts, so this guy is using a proxy.
They seem to spam with one user until he gets banned, then make a bunch (around 10) of new users and only use one to start spam.
Usually there are about 3 spammers online at once.
I disabled new memberships and banned all the online spammers, this stopped the spamming.

Last edited by scripttester123 on April 23rd 2009, 7:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
scripttester123
scripttester123
Forumember

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: The spam problem isn't fixed ;(

Post by MrMario April 22nd 2009, 11:03 pm

So what are you asking as I dont see any more info needed?
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

Back to top Go down

Post by scripttester123 April 22nd 2009, 11:09 pm

Just if anyone has any information about this guy, or more suggestions. I've seen many fan sites for this game infected by the same spammer. I don't know if this is just game wide, or if it has spread to other games. Does anyone have any information, suggestions or is anyone experiencing something similar? Thanks.

Even more info:

I've been playing around with this and I am now pretty much convinced that it is a robot. After disabling new registrations, it seems to be stuck. At first, the guests number was at 5, then it rose to 6, then 7, etc. it is now at 10 and still rising. Also, every member has a unique, verified email address, so there are over 160 fake emails. Either it's a robot, or this kid has way to much time on his hands.
scripttester123
scripttester123
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk April 23rd 2009, 12:03 am

scripttester123 wrote:OK thanks, I got rid of the spam for now. Hope this guy doesn't come back!

scripttester123 my friend above is your quote from yesterday.That is why i have locked the topic and moved on.Have you tried what i have suggested? I have had something similar like this in the past happen to me.No matter what i did certain people seemed to keep getting around the Ban and continued to post illegal material to try to have me shut down.

when i created this DOG HOUSE GROUP.I placed them in there and designated them to this board ware they had no permissions at all.So they were just stuck in there and finally got sick of trying new accounts and just left.

now if you do not want to do this.Trace there ip's and try to narrow it down to what service/server there provider is.You might be able to contact the server or your server to have them look into it to see if you can get this to stop?This is a long shot but it seems like your only other option. Or you can move your forum link and send all your members the new link excluding the spammer of course. Or you can perhaps move your link and close for a few days then move the link back? i mean i dont know what else you could do? this really sux for you and i understand why you would be so upset as i would be my self.

but like i said i have had something similar like this happen to me in the past and my conclusion was creating the dog house.It took about a week but ended up being most effective.

so that's about all i can suggest at this point.i would suggest a spam filter but this will not work for what you are explaining.

This is actually a form of hacking. The SOB keeps coming back with different ip's proxies and emails. it's not just spamming. let me try to get more info on this from a friend of mine. if there is a way to ban/block his macromedia file on his computer then a computer ban would be in place.. but this is forumotion and i really do not think it's possible. what exactly is he spamming anyway? are post leading to sites.or is it nonsense or places for things to be sold?

anyone else have any suggestions that were not already stated in the thread form yesterday? https://help.forumotion.com/other-problems-f46/we-have-a-major-spam-problem-t41504.htm
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by scripttester123 April 23rd 2009, 7:07 pm

Thanks again for your help. I tried your doghouse method and it seemed to slow them down, but some are getting around it somehow. I figured out that what they're posting is a referral link to a game. Every time someone clicks it they get a certain amount of the game currency. Someone on another forum suggested I turn off HTML on posts, this way they can't post their link. This worked. I also sent an e-mail to the game and told them what was happening. They replied back and said they'd look into it. They seemed concerned so my hopes are high. Thanks again for your help.
scripttester123
scripttester123
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk April 23rd 2009, 7:28 pm

Just remember to keep putting who ever dose this in the dog house and make sure they have no permissions to do anything.They will get the hint and just go somewhere else.

So is this solved now?Everything that could possibly be down or suggested has bin stated.I'll give you time to respond here or click the solved option in your first post. then i'll lock it.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by scripttester123 April 23rd 2009, 7:30 pm

Yep solved thanks for the help everyone!
scripttester123
scripttester123
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk April 23rd 2009, 7:32 pm

scripttester123 wrote:Yep solved thanks for the help everyone!

Thanks for clicking the solved option.
Thread is now locked
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down