The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Posting Time outs

3 posters

Go down

Posting Time outs Empty Posting Time outs

Post by RTHawk May 25th 2007, 11:44 pm

I can't find this topic no matter how I search the terms.

What is the time out period in minutes that a person must finish posting or replying to a posting before getting logged out of a forum? It seems quite short and I am losing my posts when I hit send because the system is making me log back in. (I now copy what I've posted in case this happens so I don't lose what I've written.) I can't find a place to change this within the administration area.

Put another way, how often must there be activity per forum member before being automatically logged out?

Thank you,
RTHawk
RTHawk
RTHawk
Forumember

Female Posts : 27
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Posting Time outs Empty Re: Posting Time outs

Post by GeoX May 26th 2007, 12:05 am

welcome abouard
no nothing soulds familiar actually,,,,,mm..there might be something wrong...do u mean that it logs you off or what?!

no there's no time limit or period required to do anything
GeoX

Back to top Go down

Post by RTHawk May 26th 2007, 1:23 am

Thank you for replying.

This was an annoying feature on another forum I was on from this same niceboard.com
It would happen quite often that people would take awhile to reply to a topic and when they hit send it would make them log back in and they would lose their posting.

Someone on my forum (16steps.niceboard.com) said she lost a lengthy posting she wrote too. I've never known exactly how long this time out was and today while I was using my forum it timed out way too often and way too quickly. So, yes, it logs you out while you're in the middle of posting replies and starting new topics, etc.
RTHawk
RTHawk
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by GeoX May 26th 2007, 1:35 am

actually i've never experienced anything like "time out" Very Happy..there's nothing like that..maybe u need a technician..so we just wait until a mod or admin arround here forwards your topic to the techys..hope soon!
GeoX

Back to top Go down

Post by RTHawk May 26th 2007, 3:11 am

Then I will post about this over there...thanks for replying.
RTHawk
RTHawk
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Kol Vol May 26th 2007, 9:19 am

NO DON'T I KNOW WHATS THE PROBLEM

Tick the log me on automatically box when you log in then your session can never timeout and you won't have to re-log
Kol Vol
Kol Vol
Forumember

Male Posts : 364

http://codes.eletronicsboard.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by GeoX May 26th 2007, 12:03 pm

but all his members are suffering the same Very Happy
GeoX

Back to top Go down

Post by RTHawk May 27th 2007, 12:57 am

Kol Vol wrote:NO DON'T I KNOW WHATS THE PROBLEM

Tick the log me on automatically box when you log in then your session can never timeout and you won't have to re-log

This happened in other forum when I had that automatically log in box checked. Therefore, I don't believe this is the a solution. I haven't checked it on my own forum since I want the choice of logging in as admin or a member each time. However, I will try it anyway.

Anyone else have any bright ideas?
RTHawk
RTHawk
RTHawk
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by GeoX May 27th 2007, 1:32 am

u just need a technician....we will just wait until someone moves this topic to the tech section!
GeoX

Back to top Go down

Post by RTHawk May 27th 2007, 1:39 am

GeoX wrote:u just need a technician....we will just wait until someone moves this topic to the tech section!

Is that how it works? It needs to be moved by someone in power?
RTHawk
RTHawk
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by GeoX May 27th 2007, 2:21 am

yes, moderators and admins are just allowed to move topics to the tech section..but we members cant Smile..sorry!
GeoX

Back to top Go down

Post by RTHawk May 27th 2007, 5:43 pm

Okay...the FAQ on my forum has this information:

"Why do I get logged off automatically?"
"If you do not check the Log me in automatically box when you log in, the board will only keep you logged in for a preset time. This prevents misuse of your account by anyone else. To stay logged in, check the box during login. This is not recommended if you access the board from a shared computer, e.g. library, internet cafe, university cluster, etc."

I imagine that this preset time is not changeable. So, no technician is needed. I've checked the box at log in and I am not getting the time-outs now.
Thanks Folks
RTHawk
RTHawk
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by NinjaNt May 27th 2007, 5:49 pm

It may also depend on what browser you are using to access the forum. It actually has come to my attention that using Mozilla Firefox tends to log out the user more so then Internet Explorer. If this is not the case, I may suggest making a post in the mean time to your members to copy their lengthier posts before posting. Until this case is solved.
NinjaNt
NinjaNt

Female Posts : 23

http://dogs-of-war.1talk.net

Back to top Go down

Post by GeoX May 27th 2007, 5:49 pm

but we thought that u did check it and u still have the problem Very Happy..that's why i suggested a techy..anyway it's very good that u've succeeded mam Smile, and we are sorry for the delay..the moderators are having exams and they just log in often ^^
GeoX

Back to top Go down

Post by RTHawk May 27th 2007, 5:59 pm

GeoX wrote:but we thought that u did check it and u still have the problem Very Happy..that's why i suggested a techy..anyway it's very good that u've succeeded mam Smile, and we are sorry for the delay..the moderators are having exams and they just log in often ^^

Not to belabor the point, but I did think I had this problem when I had the box checked when I was on a previous forum! shakng2 Maybe it's just early onset of Alzheimer's...Sorry for confusion.

I have posted to members how to avoid the problem.

An aside...I categorized my issue as a posting time out....the FAQ called it a Logging Out Automatically problem. Shows how it can be difficult to do a search here if you don't use the correct keywords or terminology.
Thanks again.
RTHawk
RTHawk
Forumember

Back to top Go down