The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My moderators are allowed to reply to locked topics

5 posters

Go down

Solved My moderators are allowed to reply to locked topics

Post by Wolf the Wolf November 27th 2009, 10:59 pm

I searched for this, but mostly it was button topics and other things. Please point me in the correct direction is this has been asked.

So, on my forum, there is a locked topic. Then one of my fellow moderators comes along and posts on it. Which means they posted on a topic after it was locked. So, I was wondering, if anyone had an explanation? As to why they can post on locked topics? Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you! I also found out that they do it by clicking the 'locked' button. I think it is the same thing as the post reply, just a different look. But members on the site cannot reply to locked topics.

By the way, this is happening on my friend's site. Her mom won't let her join forumotion forum(this big forum right here, with many members) so she asked me to ask it. I don't know if I should put up a link to it.

Here is a picture:
https://2img.net/h/oi46.tinypic.com/71plhz.jpg

Thanks again, sorry if this was already asked before.

Last edited by Wolf the Wolf on November 28th 2009, 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wolf the Wolf
Wolf the Wolf
Forumember

Female Posts : 45
Language : English

http://www.yourpal.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: My moderators are allowed to reply to locked topics

Post by Darren1 November 27th 2009, 11:09 pm

My moderators are allowed to reply to locked topics Hello

A moderator can reply to a thread by simply unlocking it then re-locking it, as they have permissions to lock/unlock threads.

As for why it is working when the moderator hits the locked thread button, I am unsure, as they shouldn't be able to...I suppose it's a quicker way that unlocking/relocking?

Admins will always be able to reply to locked topics, as they will always have the quick reply (If enabled) or otherwise hitting the locked/closed thread.
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf the Wolf November 27th 2009, 11:50 pm

Well, since I am a moderator on that site, you do not need to un-lock and re-lock. I've tried it. I think it may be a 'shortcut' to un-locking and and re-locking as you said. I think when it is locked, it just replaces the post reply button for moderators. I am going to ask the admin(good friend of mine) to check the permissions and buttons, then check back here. Whoa, never knew Admins could do it no matter what, but seems obvious since moderators can.

Thank you!
Wolf the Wolf
Wolf the Wolf
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SophieDophs November 28th 2009, 12:51 am

As well as running my own forum, I am a moderator on another forum and I have found that this has always been the case. All moderators can reply to locked topics simply by clicking on the 'Locked' post icon.

I don't believe there is any way you can turn this off, unless you go to the permissions for each section of the forum and change the individual permissions.

But then your mods wouldn't be able to moderate properly or reply to topics etc.

Maybe the best way to tackle this is to communicate to all the moderators that they are not to reply in any topic that is locked, unless specifically requested to do so.
SophieDophs
SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 375

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf the Wolf November 28th 2009, 3:20 am

SophieDophs wrote:As well as running my own forum, I am a moderator on another forum and I have found that this has always been the case. All moderators can reply to locked topics simply by clicking on the 'Locked' post icon.

I don't believe there is any way you can turn this off, unless you go to the permissions for each section of the forum and change the individual permissions.

But then your mods wouldn't be able to moderate properly or reply to topics etc.

Maybe the best way to tackle this is to communicate to all the moderators that they are not to reply in any topic that is locked, unless specifically requested to do so.

I guess so. I'll contact the forum's admin and tell her that, thank you. I guess there really is nothing to do.

Thank you everyone, and the forum admin thanks you as well.
Wolf the Wolf
Wolf the Wolf
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by FlamingToaster November 28th 2009, 3:33 am

I don't understand why this is an issue though because as darren explained they could just unlock it and lock it again.
FlamingToaster
FlamingToaster
Forumember

Male Posts : 183
Language : English and BBCode

http://final-legendaries.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf the Wolf November 28th 2009, 3:19 pm

Yes, but they don't need to. I'm pretty sure someone would notice that. And it is sort of bad because someone could lock something for bad language or behavior- then some moderator can post on their adding something else completely irrelevant. It's happened before. But anyway thanks for the help!
Wolf the Wolf
Wolf the Wolf
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by ankillien November 28th 2009, 3:30 pm

Solved > Locked
ankillien
ankillien