The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to make a forum viewable only by groups

2 posters

Go down

How to make a forum viewable only by groups Empty How to make a forum viewable only by groups

Post by itpcruz08 August 4th 2010, 1:50 pm

I want to make a forum that only members of a special group can view. Members should join the group first. I've tried setting the 'special group's' forum permission to YES ALL and removed all for the 'members'. Of course, ordinary members won't be able to view the group and members of that 'special group' can. The problem is, since, the users who joined that 'special group' are also 'members', they too can't view the special forum. @_@

I need help. :<
itpcruz08

Language : English

Back to top Go down

How to make a forum viewable only by groups Empty Re: How to make a forum viewable only by groups

Post by kirk August 4th 2010, 1:55 pm

Well it sounds like you have the group permissions set.
so then all you have to do is set the groups permissions for no one to join the group automatically?

i9 guess thats what you me4an the way you have it explained it seems you have everything right so i am not sure what your asking?
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

How to make a forum viewable only by groups Empty Re: How to make a forum viewable only by groups

Post by itpcruz08 August 4th 2010, 2:05 pm

This is what I want to do:

Special Forum should be:
- invisible to 'Ordinary members'.
- visible to members of the 'Special Group'.

Changed the Special Forum's permissions:
- Removed access (view, read, etc) for Ordinary Members.
- ALL access for members of the Special Group.

Yes, It worked. Members can't view the Special Forum. But also for the members of that Special Group because they are also 'ordinary members'.

I'm asking if there might be another solution to this aside from Forum Permissions.
itpcruz08

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk August 4th 2010, 2:10 pm

what do you mean by they are ordinary members if the are in a group.
You are confusing me. all you do is set the groups permissions and that will do it.
once again it sounds like you have them set.

you can always have members in there own hidden group and set permissions accordingly too.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by itpcruz08 August 4th 2010, 3:06 pm

Ordinary member = Registered user. He is a MEMBER not an Admin nor a Mod.

Now, in my ACP:

FORUM PERMISSION CONTROL:
Members: can't view the forum - can't read topics - can't reply to a message, etc...
Administrators Group: can view the forum - can read topics - can reply to a message, etc...
Moderators Group: can view the forum - can read topics - can reply to a message, etc...
Special Group: can view the forum - can read topics - can reply to a message, etc...

So, members of the SPECIAL GROUP should be able to view the special forum. But they can't since they are still under the MEMBERS position. Check my setting again. MEMBERS can't view the forum. ADMINS & MODS can.
itpcruz08

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk August 4th 2010, 3:22 pm

you have to put the members in the special group.
then they will have the permissions for that group and will no longer be a regular member.

read more here
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down