The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hacked and Powerless

5 posters

Go down

Solved Hacked and Powerless

Post by Chimitsu June 27th 2012, 6:22 pm

Hello,
My name is Chimitsu; I’m an administrator on Lost Generations (link to be provided for any forum motion administrators who can help; I don’t want to inadvertently advertise). Last night around 10:30pm PST, our forum was hacked. I was not online at the time, but I was on the phone with Exodus, the only administrator who was currently online. Neither of us were prepared, and the only two administrators who could help us were out of contact (Kuroshinryu, founder; absent for quite some time, no computer access, ceased to answer his phone after one call | Leam, co-founder (lacking founder powers) and currently lead administrator; asleep and unable to be woken).

The hacking began with a redirect to a Rickroll’d site (http://www.dafk.net/what/), and was originally confined to the home page. Our banner was replaced with the troll face, and our background with the nyan cat, as seen below in a screenshot I took this morning:
Spoiler:

In an effort to minimize the damage seen by the members and to temporarily shut down our site to deal with the problem, I advised Exodus to set the site to maintenance mode. By this time he had found the coding to remove the redirect, but by the time he found the way to set the site to maintenance, the hacker had replaced the redirect and moved the coding. We do not, at this time, know where it is. In retrospect, the maintenance was a bad idea because now, it looks like the hacker has removed the administrative powers of the majority of our staff. Leam, Exodus, myself, Rogue, and Toby (our two remaining administrators) all lack powers, and now we can’t see if anything more has been done to our beloved site. Kuroshinryu is still out of reach at this time in spite of all attempts to contact him.

Please, if anyone can help us, we desperately need it. Without our powers, we can’t see what’s going on, much less fix this mess. I don’t know if there’s a way to prove that we’re admins by backdating on the forum, or simply looking at the posts we’ve made to moderate the forum and accept members, but we’re still colored as staff members on the site. The only problem is that none of us have access to the Admin Panel anymore. Not even our alternate accounts.

I really don’t know what to do any more, and this is the last thing our site needed right now. Ever since our founder disappeared for personal reasons, it’s been going through some severe ups and downs and even died for a while. It’s been looking like it might die again with some low activity levels, and if we can’t fix this soon, I’m afraid this might just be the end of all our hard work.

Desperately seeking help,

Chimitsu Zetsumei.

Last edited by Chimitsu on June 27th 2012, 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chimitsu

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Hacked and Powerless

Post by SLGray June 27th 2012, 7:45 pm

You could do a forum restore to an earlier date if you know the email address and password used to create the forum (only the founder should know these things).

Hacked and Powerless Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51489

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chimitsu June 27th 2012, 7:50 pm

We figured a restore would have to be a part of it. Thank you for that. We'll continue trying to get into contact with our founder. Is there anything that could be done in the mean time to possibly get powers back to some of the staff, or are we better off waiting for our founder?
Chimitsu

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk June 27th 2012, 8:39 pm

No i am sorry , only admin or founder will be able to give the powers back.
How long has the founder been gone?
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Chimitsu June 27th 2012, 8:50 pm

A very very long time. I'll occasionally see an update on his "last logged in" thing, as if he comes around to check on us, but he hasn't been active on our site for a long time. I can't even remember the last time he was in a chatbox. We've been struggling to contact him today, but it seems like his phone is either dead or off. We haven't heard from him since last night when he told one of us what we were looking for in order to remove the redirect; since then, he's been out of contact again.
Chimitsu

Back to top Go down

Post by Wraistlin June 27th 2012, 9:19 pm

I am the founder of site in question.

I cannot log in to correct it because, when I try, I get bounced to the linked site automatically before I get to even type out my username.

*edit*
Ah, I've managed to get to the admins panel and get to the utilities section for my site backup restore. I sumbitted a query to restore it but it doesn't seem like the power to actually do so is in my hands. do I have to wait for Forumotion staff to do it?

Also I have made Exo, Leam, and Chimitsu Admins
Wraistlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chimitsu June 27th 2012, 9:44 pm

Oh, thank goodness you're here. >_<
I'm able to get on the site now that I've got powers back, but The redirect's slamming me when I try to type in my password to the admin panel. I'm not fast enough to stop it. What should I be doing once I get onto the panel? Fixing graphics, or trying to stop the redirect?

Please tell me that you're going to stay around to help with this ...

*Edit*

On the panel, whoop. Anyone able to tell me what I'm looking for or should be doing?

*Edit again*
(MSN convo)
Nyx says:
It might. For all I know, the site is rigged.
And if you change it now, it'll be hacked again.
Nobody touch anything.
Tell Kuro that.
I'm fixing it

Don't know how, but that's what she said.

*Edit Part 3, sigh*
Kuro, response requested please? Nyx wants us to make her friend a moderator in the site in exchange for her helping fix it. I suppose that if we don't, she won't fix the site.
Chimitsu

Back to top Go down

Post by JadeMehBoi June 27th 2012, 10:23 pm

Stoping the redirect
JadeMehBoi
JadeMehBoi
Forumember

Male Posts : 64
Language : HTML/CSS

http://jademotion.forum.st/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Chimitsu June 27th 2012, 10:34 pm

*EDIT*
Problem solved for now! Looks like everything's working and I just need to find out how to take the site out of maintenance mode. Thank you so much everyone for helping!
Chimitsu

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray June 28th 2012, 7:27 am

Topic Solved & Locked

Hacked and Powerless Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51489

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down