The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Information about new secure connection protocol standards

+15
Dr Jay
Swedegfx
ZuniThoang
Flappypaddles
Van-Helsing
Lorem
Beyonder
SarkZKalie
jucarese
OLC CREATORS
SLGray
YoshiGM
Derri
Ape
The Godfather
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Information about new secure connection protocol standards - Page 2 Empty Information about new secure connection protocol standards

Post by The Godfather Fri 6 Jan - 12:43

First topic message reminder :

Information about new secure connection protocol standards - Page 2 Https-11

Dear users,

Since 2016, Google has decided to accelerate the transition to a more secure web by imposing the HTTPS standard. This is a good thing for Internet users but is really complex to set up technically on big services like Forumotion ! Confused

Google Chrome will display an alert for HTTP pages

Note that since January 2017, Google Chrome browser (version 56) could display a security alert on HTTP pages including a "Password" field. This will be a discrete indication with "Not secure" message that will be displayed in the address bar. Here's what it will look like:

Information about new secure connection protocol standards - Page 2 Http-h10

How does this affect Forumotion Forums ?

On the discussion forums, members must log in by entering their username and password. This alert will not affect all HTTP pages, but only those that display a "password" field.

For Forumotion forums, this could typically occur on pages with a field asking to enter a password (Login widget, Quick login display, ...).

Don't be afraid, having this alert does not mean that your forum is not secure. This is a simple indication dictated by the new standards imposed by the use of a secure connection protocol between the web server that hosts your forum and your web browser.

The HTTPS protocol will be soon available for Forumotion Forums

Although there is no obligation to adopt this new protocol, the best solution, which will soon be available on all Forumotion forums, is to have the possibility to put the forum in HTTPS mode. In addition to providing a secure web space for your members, your forum will display a "Secure" message. Cool

Nevertheless, be aware that the complete transition of your forum in HTTPS mode will require some modifications in the templates. All resources (images, JS, CSS, external services, ...) must be called in HTTPS mode. Otherwise, the forum will not be considered secure.

In any way, we will provide you with more information on this as soon as all technical modifications are ready on our side.

Regards

Forumotion Staff

The Godfather
The Godfather
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Information about new secure connection protocol standards - Page 2 Empty Re: Information about new secure connection protocol standards

Post by YoshiGM Wed 1 Feb - 20:55

No problem.. it's a good idea to pay for this option hehe.. Thanks for the answer Very good
YoshiGM
YoshiGM
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1501
Language : Spanish & English

http://asistencia.foroactivo.com/u21373

Back to top Go down

Information about new secure connection protocol standards - Page 2 Empty Re: Information about new secure connection protocol standards

Post by Ape Wed 1 Feb - 21:01

your welcome anytime @YoshiGM Please have a great day Doff

Information about new secure connection protocol standards - Page 2 Left1212Information about new secure connection protocol standards - Page 2 Center11Information about new secure connection protocol standards - Page 2 Right112
Information about new secure connection protocol standards - Page 2 Ape_b110
Information about new secure connection protocol standards - Page 2 Ape1010
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 19144
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill Tue 11 Apr - 2:08

Anaya DeLaRose wrote:my spend credits area does not have the icon for the SSL Certificate

I am not computer savvy. I had the forum given to me several years ago. I'm not sure how to do this, or, take care of some other troubles. But, I think the idea of a secure forum is good.
Bill Cahill
Bill Cahill

Male Posts : 15
Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by VestaAdmin Wed 10 May - 6:51

Yeah I have no idea what this means as far as affecting my forum. I would have to change the images or something to make them secure?? what does that mean?? I use lots of images in the backgrounds the skin etc. that I make in Paint Shop Pro. Sorry I am not real tech savvy either. That's why I use forumotion cuase it was not too complicated.
VestaAdmin
VestaAdmin

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape Wed 10 May - 18:24

Okay this is how it works.
Without this SSL certificate Your forum will show up a little padlock on the top of your browser,
Now when you go to log in to your forum you will see a small popup saying your log in data is not safe.

Now if your buy a SSL certificate the padlock will go green and show your forum as safe and the warning will go away from your login page.

Now there is a lot of worry of our members about changing over to this new SSL certificate.

Trust me it looks and sound really hard to do but thanks to our really fabulous Forum system we have made this much more easy to do.

when changing over our system will look at your CSS files and your images and if they are hosted by servimg.com most of the items will be changed over by us so there is no big worry there.

Now if your images are hosted by tinypic or photobucket then you will have to change them all over by hand and that will be a little harder to do.

This is why we advice all members to host them with servimg.com but don't worry
with the new cool tool we have in servimg there is a tool that will let your host your items with the URL so all you have to do is copy the URL in the box and re-host it with us.

Now what dose it mean if you don't buy a SSL certificate ?

NOTHING you don't have to buy it all it is just really made to forums and sites that you have to add your bank account info to the sites database and to make your login info more safe.
And the other thing it dose is makes the search engines know your forum is marked as safe and gives you a good report. (That's about all it is)

Information about new secure connection protocol standards - Page 2 Left1212Information about new secure connection protocol standards - Page 2 Center11Information about new secure connection protocol standards - Page 2 Right112
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Flappypaddles Sat 13 May - 9:54

is this just a scheme to make money out of us?
Flappypaddles
Flappypaddles
Forumember

Language : english

http://inaflap.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 May - 10:26

@Flappypaddles, of course forumotion gets money when you buy a ssl certificate, but you're forum gains a better security. It's like locking a door with 2 locks instead of 1. You pay more, but have less things to worry about.

Back to top Go down

Post by Anaya DeLaRose Wed 24 May - 6:27

for the price it is not bad at all, I say it is worth it and i got it and all is fixed up and working wonderfully. i had a couple images and some junk I had to fix for the code to get it to be flipped over but it was not a big deal.
Anaya DeLaRose
Anaya DeLaRose
Forumember

Female Posts : 97
Language : Fluent in Sarcasm, Backtalk, and English as my third Language.

http://www.delaroseroleplay.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape Wed 24 May - 16:38

yeah with small forums it's worth going over our system dose most of it for you anyway that is why there is a little charge to the founders for this service we also have to pay to be on this our self.
and no its not just a way to make money out of everyone all sites all over the world should have it but they don't if they don't have a log in system.

but all big sites that have login systems will have it to be more safe than sorry.

Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by skouliki Sat 27 May - 11:14

can i ask something 
if i visit my forum only as a guest every ad that links to not secure address i have a pop-up warning window 
is this going to happen to all similar ads ?

thanks 

example 
Information about new secure connection protocol standards - Page 2 Scree221
skouliki
skouliki
Manager
Manager

Female Posts : 15153
Language : English,Greek

http://iconskouliki.forumgreek.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Van-Helsing Sat 27 May - 16:13

Hello @skouliki,
I think this is happening due ads calls on external ads servers. Kaspersky products detecting these type of ads calls on external and possible non-secure servers and due its property to scan the whole website for any external resources calls like images, data, videos, js etc., if are they secure and displays this message on any suspicious content, such some of these ads servers aren't secure or might be suspicious. As you can see on your screenshot the ad url is not secure (not using https) and for this reason kaspersky gives you this alert and warns you to disconnect from the forum. The only solution is to use some credits to disable the ads from forum's ACP. I don't know if our technicians can be fix this issue by using ads which are hosting only on https domains.
Van-Helsing
Van-Helsing
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2431
Language : English, Greek

http://itexperts.forumgreek.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by skouliki Sat 27 May - 17:17

thanks for your answer @Van-Helsing
yes exactly this is my question is forumotion going to use ads which are hosting only on https domains or i need to buy credits
skouliki
skouliki
Manager
Manager

Female Posts : 15153
Language : English,Greek

http://iconskouliki.forumgreek.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape Sat 27 May - 19:31

both of my forums use credits to remove ad's but i know that i can not keep getting credits for both of my forums so i removed ad's only on one and will not go over to the SSL certificate for missing people forum as i don't see the need to right now.

Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2