The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can admin read members P.M.S ?

+7
SweetMysty
--kml--
Sweetheart1
shamzblueworld
dotDavid
Xenos
davidl
11 posters

Go down

Can admin read members P.M.S ? Empty Can admin read members P.M.S ?

Post by davidl Sat 15 Aug - 7:47

dont know if this is the right place for this, but is it possible for admin to read pms between members ?
thanks........
davidl
davidl
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Can admin read members P.M.S ? Empty Re: Can admin read members P.M.S ?

Post by Xenos Sat 15 Aug - 7:53

No, Admin cant read other members PMs.

PM = PRIVATE message
Xenos
Xenos
Forumember

Male Posts : 231

Back to top Go down

Post by dotDavid Sat 15 Aug - 8:00

Xenos, Admins should be able to as they control the forum. What if someone was planning to spam the forum and was sending messages to other users. Shouldn't the admin know about it?

This would be a good idea, if its not possible, for security reasons.
dotDavid
dotDavid
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2404

https://help.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl Sat 15 Aug - 8:04

thanks for the info, i know pm means private message.....but on other forums hosted by other hosts it is possible for admin to read them. just wondered if it was possible on forumotion. also like ddwl says in cases like spaming etc it would be helpful for admin to know about it....
davidl
davidl
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by shamzblueworld Sat 15 Aug - 8:35

yea i also think this should be on here too. admin should be able ro read pmz
shamzblueworld
shamzblueworld
Forumember

Male Posts : 568
Language : English,urdu,hindi,arabic, basic html, css... will learn xml,javascript and jscript

http://www.funstopforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweetheart1 Sat 15 Aug - 8:38

i don't think it should be allowed...that's the same as reading someone else's emails right from thier email inbox..or going to your neighbours house to read thier mail...invasion of privacy...how could your members trust you if they know you will be reading thier PM's??
Sweetheart1
Sweetheart1
Forumember

Female Posts : 146

http://copyrightcorner.aforumfree.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by --kml-- Sat 15 Aug - 8:49

how about only owners? Lol
--kml--
--kml--
Forumember

Male Posts : 456
Language : english

http://kmlforumhl.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetMysty Sat 15 Aug - 11:07

Wow bwi No, I dont think it is right that Admins should be able to read other members PMs. If you have spamming on your forum, then you can delete the posts/ threads, and can even ban your members.

Edit to say.... Dun be nosey Razz
SweetMysty
Forumember

Language : Enlgish

http://www.abclounge.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessa Sat 15 Aug - 13:17

As already stated in this topic it is not permitted for Admin to read members PM's because it is a violation of ones privacy. While It may be an availble feature on other forum hosts I don't believe forumotion will ever make members private messages publicly available like that for staff.

But its very easy to create or add a rule for your forum stating :: Advertisng or Spamming via pm is not permitted nor tolerated. If any member receives PM's of this nature, please contact a member of staff immediately and we will rectify the situation accordingly. :: Smile

Or even create and sticky an Only Topic on your forum for members to notify staff of strange pm's received.

I believe those suggestions would work out well on your forum, as it also does on mine. Very Happy
Nessa
Nessa
Energetic

Female Posts : 6203

Back to top Go down

Post by Cutekittycutecat Mon 21 Sep - 19:25

That's weird. One of my favorite forums to go on is hosted by forumotion, and the staff say that the admins can read PMs. Can admin read members P.M.S ? Icon_scratch
Cutekittycutecat

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray Wed 23 Sep - 3:47

Cutekittycutecat wrote:That's weird. One of my favorite forums to go on is hosted by forumotion, and the staff say that the admins can read PMs. Can admin read members P.M.S ? Icon_scratch

Can we have the link to the site that says that?

Can admin read members P.M.S ? Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51452

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk Wed 23 Sep - 4:19

All i have to say is if the word gets out that admins are reading members Pm's they will most likely lose all respect and credibility from there members.
Long ago i have had a pretty serious legal matter that i had to further investigate on one of my paid forums.I had discussed this with staff whether to go into the parties that where involved and read the pm's and then report it to the appropriate authorities.I have made the decision to do so and much to my surprise it was the right thing to do.

I mean i feel as a responsible adminastrator running my forum paid or free.i have the duty to make sure nothing illegal or corrupt is going on and everthing that is said or done on one of my forums is my business and have the right to know what is going on at all times.

How ever dose this mean that you have the right to go snooping around in members private messages. No this dose not.The situation i have encountered was of a very serious matter and i have evaluated the situation very carefully before even considering to go into the people involved pm's.
Once again this happened to be the right choice. but all i have to say is that it better be a serious matter and you better have all your facts right before ever doing such a thing.

I would never go into any of my members pm's. And other then this one situation i have never had to again.I would have felt terrible if i went into there pm's and there was nothing going on.i do feel that it is IN a sense of invasion of privacy. But considering the allegations and the serious nature of the situation i encountered. if i have come across something that again your damn right i would do it all over again and hope the SOB's involved where sent away for long long time and justice served.

So to reiterate.
you better know what you are doing before you take any such actions,spam or just plain snooping around. NO!!! that is unacceptable and any administrator doing so should lose there forum in my opinion.Once again if word got out you where doing this you would lose all members and respect for you,your staff and your forum.Once again in the very odd situation and serious matter as mine. Lets just say. people don't even want to try that crap at one of my places. Homey don't play!!!

that's all i have to say about this thread.I do not want to get into details about what has happened in my situation. Only that it was in the utmost serious manner and i did the right thing.

Since this questions was looked upon by a few different staff,members, perspectives and opinions.I feel that i have pretty much summed it up from two points.One being unacceptable and an invasion of privacy for nothing more then just snooping.And the other of being series and justified for taking such actions.So what ever you may do be sure to look at it from all sides before ever considering reading members pm's.And know the consequences if such a thing were to ever back fire on you,your staff or your forum.

thread now locked

Last edited by kirk on Wed 23 Sep - 4:37; edited 4 times in total
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray Wed 23 Sep - 4:27

It sounds like it was the right decision Kirk. I too would only look at members' pms if they were doing something illegal.

Can admin read members P.M.S ? Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51452

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down