The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Virus on Forum **

+5
musket
SLGray
Faerielass
MrMario
Starseeds
9 posters

Go down

Virus on Forum ** Empty Virus on Forum **

Post by Starseeds January 27th 2011, 8:36 pm

Well we've had another topic, but some moderator immediately closed/solved it like 2 minutes after we said our thank you for the help. Now we have to make another... Razz

Okay, We've had problems from another forum for months now.. They will not leave us alone, and now we have a virus on the site. .

Here is the virus warning:

Virus on Forum ** Virus
Our forum name is http://www.mysticallodge.forumotions.net *only go there if you got virus protection*

We'd like to know if a REAL Forumotion Technical Support Member can quickly scan the forum and see where exactly the virus is located, because I can not find it.

I'm trying to dis-able some links, but that will take months since we have over 2000 posts on the forum.

Please let me know of anything. And PLEASE do not marked as "Solved" until the issue is solved.

- Starseed / Mystical Lodge Forum Admin/-Tech

Here are some results from that I.P. Address:
Virus on Forum ** Ip
Virus on Forum ** Ip2

Last edited by Starseeds on January 27th 2011, 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added IP Info)
Starseeds

Male Posts : 4
Language : English

http://www.mysticallodge.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

Virus on Forum ** Empty Re: Virus on Forum **

Post by MrMario January 27th 2011, 8:57 pm

Software does this a lot with Forumotion forums. I have yet to see a real virus on a Forumotion forum since I've been here in 07.

I went to the forum and found nothing or got any message from Chrome or even my security software. You sometimes need to wait a coupe of days and see if this problem continues. It could of been a random ad or link that goes to a site that has a virus. I would check recent topic links just in case.
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

Back to top Go down

Post by Starseeds January 27th 2011, 9:05 pm

MrMario wrote:Software does this a lot with Forumotion forums. I have yet to see a real virus on a Forumotion forum since I've been here in 07.

I went to the forum and found nothing or got any message from Chrome or even my security software. You sometimes need to wait a coupe of days and see if this problem continues. It could of been a random ad or link that goes to a site that has a virus. I would check recent topic links just in case.

Thanks for your response,

Well, since we are new and the forum has a virus, either from a link that is posted, etc. It has a virus. And that will jeopardized the forum from any new members registering.. because of that pop up when you enter the forum. I have to turn my internet security off to get in.
Starseeds

Back to top Go down

Post by Faerielass January 27th 2011, 9:13 pm

Thank You MrMario,

For the swift reply , we greatly appreciate the effort you are making on our behalf , is there any other way the guys can eliminate this from the forum, as im an IT disaster , I dont have one iota Sad

Respectfully

Faerielass
Faerielass

Female Posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray January 27th 2011, 10:41 pm

I also went to your forum and got no message about a virus. It might be your browser you are using.

Virus on Forum ** Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51489

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Starseeds January 27th 2011, 10:53 pm

Nope, The Virus message shows up in :

• Mozilla Firefox
• Internet Explorer
• Google Chrome
• AOL Internet Browser
• OPERA Internet Browser

Seems, AVG is picking up on it mostly than other virus programs.. AVG customers had an update shortly ago about 2-4 days??, so you all might want to update your virus/trojan protection too.

And the virus has not been solved yet, and we don't know where to look at a source of the virus.

I've provided screen shots of the the warning message, if anyone can help me get to the bottom of this, that will be great. Smile

Now this is a concern too, we don't want to delete anything, we could've linked back to a site with a virus on it... but we're not sure if not linking back could result in a penalty of the forum rules.. Please shed some light on this too.. If we have to disable the links to see if that virus is contained in our link back then i guess we shall do that.. gonna take forever.. lol

Thanks for your responses, let me know what I should do from here. We do not like that warning message Razz
Starseeds

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray January 27th 2011, 10:58 pm

Does the warning come up every time you to your forum or sometimes?

Virus on Forum ** Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51489

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Starseeds January 27th 2011, 11:01 pm

Everyone who updated AVG Anti-Virus has this warning message from the forum. Not sure if it is happening to anyone else, possibly some versions of Norton as well.

That is what I think.

Now, Since you have to link-back to sources if you like what someone posted on a different site and you wanted to share it on the forum, you need that link-back link.. so it might be from a "third party" source?
Starseeds

Back to top Go down

Post by musket January 28th 2011, 12:20 am

It's OK with McAfee Smile Don't you read your mail this was sent to you earlier ?

But I suppose it can only check the welcome page as your site is not open. Confused

I would suggest that you add all these Mallicious IP numbers that come up to your banned IP list in the ACP :wouhou:

Virus on Forum ** Site_c10
musket
musket
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 1130

http://hemmingsdaman2.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 January 28th 2011, 12:49 am

Me again Razz

Ive got an odd feeling here it's not what meets the eye (is that pretty obvious? I dont know...)

Can you clear the Cache & Cookies of your browsers - Then try again - I have a feeling that AVG is blocking the site due to the links being on ur site the other day that you've now removed - But AVG is a bit....tediously slow like that.

I would also like to ask, does it occur only on the index page, or if you go to a thread, rather than the index does it show up there as well?
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by Faerielass January 28th 2011, 12:58 am

Hi Darren ,

Autumn is opening up the forums for you guys so you can have a good look around, Im so sorry for this inconvenience , its very annoying to everyone involved ...

Thank You for Your Patience and Understanding ..

Respectfully

Faerielass
Faerielass

Back to top Go down

Post by musket January 28th 2011, 1:21 am

I looked through the site briefly and didn't get any warnings site test and report But maybe my Antivirus version doesn't include download and link checking
musket
musket
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 1130

http://hemmingsdaman2.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Faerielass January 28th 2011, 1:28 am

Thank You Musket ,

Appreciate the time taken by all of you , Autumn is in Admin at the moment , just waiting to hear from her I love you

Faerielass
Faerielass

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumn01 January 28th 2011, 1:53 am

Hi everyone,
I am sorry its taken me so long to reply here...i just now finished opening all of the forum....it took a little while to do. Wink

Any help anyone can give us would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you! Very Happy
Sincerely,
Autumn
Autumn01

Female Posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by patiogardener January 28th 2011, 4:46 am

Sorry to say but in our experience AVG can have an alarming tendency to give false positives re viruses. Checked out your forum & was given no virus alert. We use Microsoft Security Essentials which is regarded as one of the best AV protectors & is totally free. Our browser is Chrome.

While I know we are here to try & help one another, I am afraid I cannot see how this is a problem for Forumotion & its techs to solve. This is more a problem for AVG to try & solve. The IP address you found would just be another spammer. Just ban that IP address in your Ban Control.

Last edited by joybells on January 28th 2011, 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total
patiogardener
patiogardener
Forumember

Female Posts : 351

http://apatiogarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk January 28th 2011, 4:50 am

well one positive thing is.

Thats a cool looking forum.. hehe

But i am getting nothing, went on all with Firefox,safari,chrome,flock,opera and IE.
It's probly a false positive.. Honestly it would have nothing to do with what browser you are using anyway.it comes down to your virus protection these things happen at times.. go to your vault and see if you can track it through there.. and get rid of that AVG.. AVG used to be great and thats all i would ever use.. that is until avast came along Smile

But virus protection is just another one of those things that someone prefers to their liking.
but, other then that i am getting nothing what so ever.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumn01 January 28th 2011, 5:10 am

joybells wrote:Sorry to say but in our experience AVG can have an alarming tendency to give false positives re viruses. Checked out your forum & was given no virus alert. We use Microsoft Security Essentials which is regarded as one of the best AV protectors & is totally free. Our browser is Chrome.

While I know we are here to try & help one another, I am afraid I cannot see how this is a problem for Forumotion & its techs to solve. This is more a problem for AVG to try & solve. The IP address you found would just be another spammer. Just ban that IP address in your Ban Control.

Thank you for your reply.
We brought this up here originally because we were getting threats and harassment from another site saying they would hack our forum...send viruses etc...and we were trying to see if thats what had happened.
Thank you for your time and your help joybells.
Sincerely,
Autumn
Autumn01

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumn01 January 28th 2011, 5:13 am

kirk wrote:well one positive thing is.

Thats a cool looking forum.. hehe

But i am getting nothing, went on all with Firefox,safari,chrome,flock,opera and IE.
It's probly a false positive.. Honestly it would have nothing to do with what browser you are using anyway.it comes down to your virus protection these things happen at times.. go to your vault and see if you can track it through there.. and get rid of that AVG.. AVG used to be great and thats all i would ever use.. that is until avast came along Smile

But virus protection is just another one of those things that someone prefers to their liking.
but, other then that i am getting nothing what so ever.

Thank you for the compliment Kirk. Very Happy
And thank you for your help, and checking that for us.. its greatly appreciated. Very Happy
Sincerely,
Autumn
Autumn01

Back to top Go down

Post by patiogardener January 28th 2011, 5:20 am

Autumn01 wrote:

Thank you for your reply.
We brought this up here originally because we were getting threats and harassment from another site saying they would hack our forum...send viruses etc...and we were trying to see if thats what had happened.
Thank you for your time and your help joybells.
Sincerely,
Autumn

Yes, I understand, Autumn. These types of "threats" can be very disturbing. Just felt that maybe AVG would be better able to assist you in some way. Actually, my advice would be the same as Kirk's & give AVG the flick. There are many much superior (& free) AV protectors around.
patiogardener
patiogardener
Forumember

Female Posts : 351

http://apatiogarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumn01 January 28th 2011, 5:23 am

ok thank you...we will look into that! Very Happy
Autumn01