The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CSS code too long, even after compression.

4 posters

Go down

Solved CSS code too long, even after compression.

Post by Jubbahey#2 May 6th 2012, 21:57

Could someone point me to the location of the raw CSS code, I need to delete it and rebuild it from a backup.

At the moment, after compression I have these stats...

Input: 92.67KB, Output:62.418KB, Compression Ratio: 32.6% (-30252 Bytes)

I've tried the most stringent compression levels, but this is as small as I can get it.

I'm desperate to change some background pics that are not in the pic management section, but I have no CCS code to edit, I think it was because I installed a Hitskin theme, changed a few things then reverted to the original. Ever since then, I can't get the basic code to save without the "Code Too Long" message.

http://andymurray.forumotion.co.uk/

thanks for any help peeps.

-----------------------------
EDIT
-----------------------------

So, hopefully this isn't going to be confusing. I know where the Basic CSS code can be copied from, I know how to compress it using the compress tool, I can't get it compressed enough without corrupting the original look of the site. I can't edit the code as it won't save into the CSS window, because it is too long. I need to edit some parameters that the normal Admin panel wont allow. I have probably got some dross left over from two installs of HitSkin themes I did last month, and so now I need to either start from scratch or delete the Basic CSS and rebuild from a previous version backup, before the HitSkin installs.

Does anyone know where I can access the raw data for the Basic CSS, as I think I need to delete it. I seem to remember from a post in this section somewhere, that it is possible. (actually, its here.. https://help.forumotion.com/t93228-my-css-when-saved-is-half-lost#601292 )

OR...... will it revert to its original code without the underlying additions, if I was to install a very old version, maybe 4 months old and begin the process of updating the site to what it is now. Will the code still contain all the additional dross from the HitSkin installs ?

Last edited by Jubbahey#2 on May 7th 2012, 15:43; edited 3 times in total
Jubbahey#2

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: CSS code too long, even after compression.

Post by SLGray May 6th 2012, 22:53

Administration Panel > Display > Colors & Pictures > Colors
CSS Stylesheet Tab
There is a clickable text in blue at the top that says, "See Basic CSS."

CSS code too long, even after compression. Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51463

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Marvin May 6th 2012, 23:04

I Guess: the default CSS for Phpbb3 is too long.

https://help.forumotion.com/t107236-bb3-more-space-in-your-personal-css
Marvin
Marvin
Forumember

Male Posts : 320
Language : German, basic English, Spanish, basic Bavarian, broken Italian

http://www.schiggysboard.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey#2 May 6th 2012, 23:44

slg wrote:Administration Panel > Display > Colors & Pictures > Colors
CSS Stylesheet Tab
There is a clickable text in blue at the top that says, "See Basic CSS."

That is how I got the code to be compressed in the first place. ATM the window is clear, with no code in it to be edited.
Jubbahey#2

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey#2 May 6th 2012, 23:49

Marvin wrote:I Guess: the default CSS for Phpbb3 is too long.

https://help.forumotion.com/t107236-bb3-more-space-in-your-personal-css

When it displays the basic code, is that the default or the actual code for the site.

I have managed to compress it down to 63K, but the graphics on the pages are corrupted and it doesnt look nice.

I read somewhere that you can delete the code and start from scratch with a backup from a previous date. It seems to me that I've got clutter from previous installs with Hitskins that are making the code too long.
Jubbahey#2

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray May 7th 2012, 04:05

Jubbahey#2:
Please don't double/triple post. Your post need to be separated by 24 hours before bumping, replying or adding more information. Please use the edit button instead!

CSS code too long, even after compression. Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51463

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey#2 May 8th 2012, 20:54

Bumping this as I've edited the OP.

Further to that edit, is there somewhere to delete the Basic CSS or will it clear itself if installing an old backup ?

Trying to work out why or how the CSS will keep old scripts from bloated Hitskins and only update any changes to the basic CSS.

EDIT

Hi Kirk. Thanks for the reply.

My problem is that the Basic CSS is too big to be displayed and edited on the CSS Stylesheet page. I've tried to compress it, but the graphics become corrupted when compressed to below 64K. I have read that some Hitskins have bloated CSS which you inherit when you install a skin and change some pics etc. At the moment, I like my website, but need to change a few bits like the chatbox background colour etc, but I can't because I cant load the Basic CSS. I have tried to revert to a previous backup, hoping it would rewrite the Basic CSS, but I can't go far enough back without losing all the changes.

Either I revert to an old backup of the site before any changes were made (like 4 months ago) and re-do the whole thing again (if that works by clearing/deleting the cluttered CSS and loading the old, uncluttered CSS, I dont know) or I try to edit/delete the bloated CSS in situ.

I have done some research and it seems that the Stylesheets are saved in the root directory of the website as Basic CSS, between the STYLE tags. Then there is a link that refers to that Stylesheet between the Head tags of the web page. Is there access to this root directory and can it be edited ?

EDIT

Thanks Kirk, I understand it a bit more now.

I didn't realise you could start from a blank canvas and just add a few lines of script to change some of the parts that the Admin panel doesn't reach. I thought you had to load the Basic CSS and edit it from there. tjhats how I have been doing it in the past. The Basic CSS is over 90K atm, so like you say, forget that and just create what I need into the style sheet window.

Thanks for clearing that up Kirk.

Solved

Last edited by Jubbahey#2 on May 8th 2012, 23:08; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : no bumping allowed)
Jubbahey#2

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk May 8th 2012, 22:52

kirk wrote:it will depend what skin you are using.
some skins may not have a lot of css to where others might have large css.

other then that i really do not understand what you mean.
the css will be however you adjust it, add or take away from it.. It has nothing to do with a old or new script, it only has to do with what css you are using and if you need all of what you may have in it or not?

what source are you using, the css should not exceed the limits if you have gotten it from a hitskin, as far as style tags they are not going to work in your css sheet and this would be used for like html pages, or if you was hosting a very large css code that you was then importing to a certain html page or other web page.

then as far as compressing a css code, that dont sound as if it will work as you have pointed out.

what do you want to do, you said you imported two hitskins, you can only use one. so decide what you want to go with and adjust things from that as needed.

Or dont use any css, start from scratch and just add css for what you need.
But i really do not understand about this whole css compressions thing?

The only thing i can think of if your css is too large and exceeding the limit is you are getting it from a wrong source. Just use css for what you need. Most colors and images can all be set within the admin panel without css.

But if you are installing hitskins with their own css, then you have to know what you need and or dont need in it.. That's about all i can suggested, Honestly i am having a hard time trying to understand what your even trying to do.

You can always go back in your theme managements and restore themes to previous dates if that helps any?

Admin panel>display>theme management >Restore the skin

Select a date to a skin or theme you may have used then hit restore.

Info added
Are you talking about importing themes, You know you would first have to export things,
And say you are exporting two whole themes saved in the same file, then of course it would exceed the limits, if it is possible to even save two themes in one file?

If this is what your talking about then i will have to get more info on exactly how that works and what the limitations are on the file sizes, I for one have never used this feature, I never really had a need for it, unless say you had holiday themes you wanted to import time to time or something like that.. So i will have to see if there is more info on exactly how large file can be, basically you export certain parts or the whole thing then import at a latter time.. or to use as backup..

kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum