The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time restriction on editing own posts

5 posters

Go down

Solved Time restriction on editing own posts

Post by fionnghal August 14th 2013, 2:54 pm

Is it possible to put  time restriction  on to posts so that a member cannot go back and edit a post after a defined time - e.g. one hour?

If so, how do I do this for my forum and would it affect Moderators'/Admins' ability to go in an edit members' posts?

Forum is http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/forum
fionnghal
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Time restriction on editing own posts

Post by Guest August 14th 2013, 4:05 pm

Yes certainly,In forum post settings in admin panel set the time limit you want for members to edit their posts. You may also wish to disable the option for members to delete their posts. Though to do this you need to go to"Configure Forums" and untick the option forum members to delete in each forum.

Back to top Go down

Post by levy August 14th 2013, 4:11 pm

No you can't do that ,my suggestion is to disable the edit button , go in Admistration Panel -> General -> Categories and Forums -> Press that :Time restriction on editing own posts Perms -> Advanced Mode -> Edit its own messages -> Untick from members , if untick all groups , just tick for what you want , for example , moderators.
levy
levy
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2632
Language : English, Romanian

https://portofolio.goodforum.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri August 14th 2013, 4:25 pm

candy_fear wrote:No you can't do that ,my suggestion is to disable the edit button , go in Admistration Panel -> General -> Categories and Forums -> Press that :Time restriction on editing own posts Perms -> Advanced Mode -> Edit its own messages -> Untick from members , if untick all groups , just tick for what you want , for example , moderators.
It is possible to do exactly that as Andrea said above

ACP --> General --> Messages and Emails --> Post edit duration limit for a member : --> Set it to whatever you want --> Save

You don't have to restrict members all together and admins and mods can still edit their posts and others at any time.
Derri
Derri
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 8755
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest August 14th 2013, 4:26 pm

candy_fear wrote:No you can't do that ,my suggestion is to disable the edit button , go in Admistration Panel -> General -> Categories and Forums -> Press that :Time restriction on editing own posts Perms -> Advanced Mode -> Edit its own messages -> Untick from members , if untick all groups , just tick for what you want , for example , moderators.
You could but then members won't be able to edit their posts at all. On my forum I set the post edit time limit to 20 minutes. After that time members could not edit, most members only want to go back to correct spelling and typing mistakes. And 15 to 20 minutes is more than enough time to do that.

Back to top Go down

Post by fionnghal August 14th 2013, 5:24 pm

Thanks, guys. Am currently experimenting with Andrea's method. Can we keep this thread live until I am sure I've got it right just in case I have a follow-up question?  I'll let you know as soon as I'm sure I've got it sorted.

Thanks

Fiona
fionnghal
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by fionnghal August 16th 2013, 11:54 am

Okay, andrea's method works fine and with no consequent lack of moderator//admin ability to go in and edit their own or members' posts at any time.

Thanks for everyone's help.  The issue is now resolved as far as I am concerned.
fionnghal
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Kralj August 16th 2013, 11:57 am

If this is solved please edit first post, and mark solved.

This is your 5th reminder that you have been reminder to not backseat moderate. Therefore, you've been banned ~ Sir Chivas.
Kralj
Kralj
Forumember

Male Posts : 128
Language : Croatian || English || HTML

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest August 16th 2013, 12:17 pm

fionnghal wrote:Okay, andrea's method works fine and with no consequent lack of moderator//admin ability to go in and edit their own or members' posts at any time.

Thanks for everyone's help.  The issue is now resolved as far as I am concerned.
That's right, all moderators and admins can edit and delete theirs or other members posts.It's only the members that can't unless you put the members you want to edit/delete in different usergroups though that's another topic. If you need any more help from us, just start a new thread they are quite quick to respond to any problems here.

Back to top Go down

Post by fionnghal August 16th 2013, 12:40 pm

Andrea, just a wee quick question: can you exclude certain of the forum boards from the edit time restriction?  We have one forum board (out of about 8)where it would be an advantage if people were able to edit their own posts at any time.
fionnghal
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest August 16th 2013, 2:20 pm

No you can't. When you set the post edit time it is for all forums and sub-forums. The only other option is to untick the post edit option for the forum or section where you don't want your members to edit. But then they won't be able to edit their posts in that section. I say you can either set it so that members cannot edit their posts at all or set it to a short post edit time from 10 to 20 minutes. You or your moderators can always correct any spelling or typing errors that you see in members posts for them.

Last edited by Andrea Borman on August 16th 2013, 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by fionnghal August 16th 2013, 2:21 pm

Thanks. That's the topic resolved for me.
fionnghal
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray August 16th 2013, 8:47 pm

Topic Solved & Locked

Time restriction on editing own posts Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51481

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down