The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transfer an external domain name to my website

2 posters

Go down

Transfer an external domain name to my website Empty Transfer an external domain name to my website

Post by Guest August 18th 2014, 11:21 pm

Hi all.

I'm not sure if I'm in the right section here for this section and excuse me if I'm not, but I'm about to purchase an existing external domain name from a friend. How can I transfer it to my current website (http://www.game-xtreme.com) or should I be making a new website instead and then transfer it?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Regards,

Samantha.

Back to top Go down

Transfer an external domain name to my website Empty Re: Transfer an external domain name to my website

Post by Derri August 18th 2014, 11:30 pm

You'd have to delete your current domain name on your forum then follow this tutorial. https://help.forumotion.com/t7021-redirect-an-extern-domain-name-that-you-own-to-your-board
Derri
Derri
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 8755
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Transfer an external domain name to my website Empty Re: Transfer an external domain name to my website

Post by Guest August 18th 2014, 11:35 pm

Oh, thanks! Great, Derri. So, actually I got 3 options:

1. Keep both domain names and link the new domain name to the same site
2. Replace the existing domain name by the new one
3. Build my own new website and link it to the new domain name and keep the current one

Right?

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri August 18th 2014, 11:38 pm

SamanthaS wrote:Oh, thanks! Great, Derri. So, actually I got 3 options:

1. Keep both domain names and link the new domain name to the same site
2. Replace the existing domain name by the new one
3. Build my own new website and link it to the new domain name and keep the current one

Right?

Your forum can't have two domain names, so option 1 cannot happen.
Option 2 and 3 are valid.
Derri
Derri
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 8755
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest August 18th 2014, 11:44 pm

I think with a redirect it can be done. However, I made up my mind now that I got the right information and stick to #3. Since the board language will be different, I think the best way to go is to set up a new site from scratch and "offline" at first, with what I've learned so far using phpBB3 and then hook it up to the new domain name. After that I'll bring back my http://www.game-xtreme.com to life again. It will be a bit of a struggle deviding my time between two websites, but, hey, I've come a long way being an admin on other sites as well, next to mine, so it won't be entirely impossible, I know!

Thanks again, Derri! Smile You can close the topic. I e-mailed myself the link to this topic to archive it.

Warm regards,

Samantha.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape August 18th 2014, 11:57 pm

Topic solved and archived

Transfer an external domain name to my website Left1212Transfer an external domain name to my website Center11Transfer an external domain name to my website Right112
Transfer an external domain name to my website Ape_b110
Transfer an external domain name to my website Ape1010
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 19122
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down