The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Security on the forums?

4 posters

Go down

Security on the forums? Empty Security on the forums?

Post by michael.h.o Wed May 05, 2010 8:49 pm

My issue is simpel. I have a forum (http://kingsalliance.danskforum.net/) where some one apparently have access to my restrictet subforums. Even the onces that are admin only access the persons can get into (i have cheked it serval times to be sure that they should not be able to get in).

Therefore, i will ask you. 1 Is it posible to stop the person that can get in and 2 how to catch him it the act?
michael.h.o
Forumember

Male Posts : 85
Language : Danish

http://kingsalliance.danskforum.net

Back to top Go down

Security on the forums? Empty Re: Security on the forums?

Post by bernardus Wed May 05, 2010 10:33 pm

Apparently? What do you mean by that?
I know for sure that someone took screenshots of my MODBOX and then posted them on the net bragging about how good a hacker s/he was.
I've used a trick and spotted proxys inside the modbox but unfortunately you can only match an IP to a username if they post or if you stay 24/7 looking at the IPs/username of 'who is online'.
bernardus

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by michael.h.o Thu May 06, 2010 10:33 am

Your MODBOX? What is that?

Well that sentens made sence in danish, so i just translatede it into english, but somtimes misunderstandings come out of that Wink

I have seen some screenshots from the restricted parts of my forum, that he have made. But since i'm no computer expert i have no idea how to spot the way he get inside the forum Sad
michael.h.o
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 Thu May 06, 2010 12:10 pm

Hello,

does the user have sufficient permission to view the room/s?
Admin panel >> Users & Groups ( Tab ) >> Search for the known user > and check if they have permission to view the room/s
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by bernardus Thu May 06, 2010 10:10 pm

michael.h.o wrote:Your MODBOX? What is that?

Well that sentens made sence in danish, so i just translatede it into english, but somtimes misunderstandings come out of that Wink

I have seen some screenshots from the restricted parts of my forum, that he have made. But since i'm no computer expert i have no idea how to spot the way he get inside the forum Sad

Sorry, I meant a private forum restricted only to moderators. In my case I suspect It could be one of the moderators, or someone using a moderator password (hacked or not).
Proxys are used to access that area.
As you probably know several users can login simultaneously using the same username/password but with different IPs, so unless you keep an watchful eye on the users on line it's nearly impossible to know if the same user is logged simultaneously from two or more IPs.
Too bad FORUMOTION can't be bothered to implement this security feature in their forums.

http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/user_ip_logs

It would solve me a lot of problems related to hacked accounts and illegal accesses.
bernardus

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 Fri May 07, 2010 1:25 am

Bernardus,

Forumotion can't impliment just any PHPBB, IPB or PunBB features; they MUST be specifically coded, as forumotion doesn't use use php.
The techs must specifically code and design everything from scratch.
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by bernardus Fri May 07, 2010 2:16 am

Darren1 wrote:Bernardus,

Forumotion can't impliment just any PHPBB, IPB or PunBB features; they MUST be specifically coded, as forumotion doesn't use use php.
The techs must specifically code and design everything from scratch.
Fair enough.
It's just that I feel helpless when I see screen shots of the moderator's area on other websites.
I placed links on the moderators area pointing to non existant JPG files in one of my websites.
This generates a 404 error in my website error logs.
It logs the date/time, the IP (always proxys) and the referrer.
So, I know the IP, the date and the location in the forum. I just can't put a username on that IP.
So near, yet so far.
bernardus

Back to top Go down

Post by michael.h.o Fri May 07, 2010 9:27 am

The person who have gotten access have been banned on name and IP and the forum he gets information from have all rights removed, so that only admins can read it!

So the trouble is how is he getting into the forum and even more important, how he is getting into forums that no one but the admins can read (Mods can't see it either)

I just wish there where a way to make the forum secure again
michael.h.o
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray Wed May 12, 2010 7:56 am

Do you have more than one administrator? It could be an administrator's account has been hacked.

Security on the forums? Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51503

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down