The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.



Create a free forum like this one.

Moderator ban rights

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solved Moderator ban rights

Post by Games4theworld on June 2nd 2015, 11:33 am

Hello all,

In the Administration Panel there's this option that allows moderators to ban users too.
Now, when that option is enabled, also "moderators" that only moderate a specific part of the forum are given ban rights. Is it possible to only give the "global" moderators ban rights?

Thank you!

Kind regards,

G4TW


Last edited by Games4theworld on June 3rd 2015, 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Games4theworld
Forumember

Posts : 53
Reputation : 0
Language : English

http://www.games4theworld.bestgoo.com

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Moderator ban rights

Post by SLGray on June 2nd 2015, 11:38 am

That option will be given to any group that has moderation privileges on the forum.


When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.

avatar
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 41148
Reputation : 2811
Language : English
Location : United States

https://fmthemes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Moderator ban rights

Post by Games4theworld on June 2nd 2015, 2:34 pm

@SLGray wrote:That option will be given to any group that has moderation privileges on the forum.
Thank you for your helpful reply, Sherlock.

Games4theworld
Forumember

Posts : 53
Reputation : 0
Language : English

http://www.games4theworld.bestgoo.com

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Moderator ban rights

Post by SLGray on June 2nd 2015, 8:32 pm

@Games4theworld wrote: Is it possible to only give the "global" moderators ban rights?
There is not an option for this, but there could be a code maybe.


Last edited by SLGray on June 2nd 2015, 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total


When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.

avatar
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 41148
Reputation : 2811
Language : English
Location : United States

https://fmthemes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Moderator ban rights

Post by Mike on June 2nd 2015, 8:33 pm

If you're okay with your moderators being administrators of the forum too, then you can go into your forum security panel and check the box that says disallow moderators to ban members. This will only allow Admins to ban members. Im not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but other than that answer I personally don't know of any other ways. You can always double check who's banning people in your Forum -> Security -> Moderation panel.
avatar
Mike
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 4243
Reputation : 468
Language : English, HTML, CSS
Location : Loveland, Colorado

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Moderator ban rights

Post by brandon_g on June 2nd 2015, 9:23 pm

You can also make sure you can trust all your staff (even the ones in small usergroups) to use their power for good and not ban without good reason or without following any procedures you may have in place. I know I try and follow all the time on my forum, if I can't trust you 100% enough to comfortably allow the staff to ban, then you probably will be a staff to begin with then.


Remember to mark your topic when a solution is found.
avatar
brandon_g
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Male Posts : 6180
Reputation : 562
Language : English
Location : USA

http://broadcastingduo.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Moderator ban rights

Post by Games4theworld on June 3rd 2015, 8:22 pm

@SLGray wrote:
@Games4theworld wrote: Is it possible to only give the "global" moderators ban rights?
There is not an option for this, but there could be a code maybe.
I see. Thank you.

@Mike wrote:If you're okay with your moderators being administrators of the forum too, then you can go into your forum security panel and check the box that says disallow moderators to ban members. This will only allow Admins to ban members. Im not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but other than that answer I personally don't know of any other ways. You can always double check who's banning people in your Forum -> Security -> Moderation panel.
Yes, it's currently turned off, so technically Administrator-only, but I was considering giving ban right to moderators and "semi-"moderators too.

@brandon_g wrote:You can also make sure you can trust all your staff (even the ones in small usergroups) to use their power for good and not ban without good reason or without following any procedures you may have in place. I know I try and follow all the time on my forum, if I can't trust you 100% enough to comfortably allow the staff to ban, then you probably will be a staff to begin with then.
It's not a trust issue per se, but also about making right decisions. It's easier to prevent bad situations, than having to fix that.
I trust my moderators with their decisions, but I don't think the "semi-"moderators can make a good decision (yet) when it comes to banning. Hence I was looking for a way to only allow global moderators to ban.

Games4theworld
Forumember

Posts : 53
Reputation : 0
Language : English

http://www.games4theworld.bestgoo.com

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Moderator ban rights

Post by Derri on June 3rd 2015, 8:24 pm

Unfortunately like others have said its not possible to distinguish certain groups the right to ban. If someone has moderation powers then they can ban.


Forum Rules: :Forumotion Staff: :Appeal A Warning: :FAQ: :Tips & Tricks: :Forgotten Password/Login Issues
You need one post to send a PM
When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved
Never post your email in public

avatar
Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8641
Reputation : 614
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Moderator ban rights

Post by Games4theworld on June 3rd 2015, 8:26 pm

@Derri wrote:Unfortunately like others have said its not possible to distinguish certain groups the right to ban. If someone has moderation powers then they can ban.
Unfortunately, yes. Then so be it.

Thank you all for replying! I'll consider this "solved". Hello

Games4theworld
Forumember

Posts : 53
Reputation : 0
Language : English

http://www.games4theworld.bestgoo.com

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Moderator ban rights

Post by SLGray on June 3rd 2015, 8:48 pm

Topic solved and archived


When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.

avatar
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 41148
Reputation : 2811
Language : English
Location : United States

https://fmthemes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum