The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Domain

4 posters

Go down

Solved New Domain

Post by Donut November 4th 2012, 3:22 pm

I'd like to use a new domain that I've bought with my forum. Is it possible to use two domains at once? If not, I'd like to redirect the domain I've bought from Forumotion to the domain that I just bought.

Here's my site: http://pandandaforum.com

Here's the domain I'd like to use: http://virtualkidsbase.com


Thanks
Donut
Donut
Forumember

Male Posts : 44
Reputation : 0
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: New Domain

Post by SLGray November 4th 2012, 3:55 pm



New Domain Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51515
Reputation : 3519
Language : English
Location : United States

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: New Domain

Post by Donut November 4th 2012, 4:17 pm

You didn't answer my question. I really need some help, I think this would be an admins job, Sanket told me to make a thread.
Donut
Donut
Forumember

Male Posts : 44
Reputation : 0
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: New Domain

Post by SLGray November 4th 2012, 4:31 pm

So you want to redirect your forum to a domain name you bought somewhere else?


New Domain Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51515
Reputation : 3519
Language : English
Location : United States

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: New Domain

Post by Donut November 4th 2012, 4:34 pm

slg wrote:So you want to redirect your forum to a domain name you bought somewhere else?
Yes. How can I do so?
Donut
Donut
Forumember

Male Posts : 44
Reputation : 0
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: New Domain

Post by SLGray November 4th 2012, 4:35 pm

https://help.forumotion.com/t7021-redirect-an-extern-domain-name-that-you-own-to-your-board

**Note**
Buying a external domain name will not allow you to redirect your Forumotion sub domain to your external domain.


New Domain Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51515
Reputation : 3519
Language : English
Location : United States

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: New Domain

Post by Donut November 4th 2012, 4:39 pm

slg wrote:https://help.forumotion.com/t7021-redirect-an-extern-domain-name-that-you-own-to-your-board

**Note**
Buying a external domain name will not allow you to redirect your Forumotion sub domain to your external domain.
What do you mean?
Donut
Donut
Forumember

Male Posts : 44
Reputation : 0
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: New Domain

Post by SLGray November 4th 2012, 4:44 pm

You can not redirect your forum to a domain you bought outside of Forumotion. You can redirect an external domain name to your forum.


New Domain Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51515
Reputation : 3519
Language : English
Location : United States

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: New Domain

Post by Donut November 4th 2012, 4:53 pm

No, sorry if you do not understand me. I want to use VirtualKidsBase.com with pandandacommunity.forumotion.com.
Donut
Donut
Forumember

Male Posts : 44
Reputation : 0
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: New Domain

Post by SLGray November 4th 2012, 6:06 pm

Have you tried changing the forum's address here?
Administration Panel > General > Forum > Forum Address


New Domain Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51515
Reputation : 3519
Language : English
Location : United States

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: New Domain

Post by Donut November 4th 2012, 6:13 pm

slg wrote:Have you tried changing the forum's address here?
Administration Panel > General > Forum > Forum Address
Yes, and I get this error:
Unable to update forum url.

Btw, PandandaForum.com is used on the pandandacommunity.forumotion.com forum. I want to use the VirtualKidsBase.com domain and redirect PandandaForum.com to it.
Donut
Donut
Forumember

Male Posts : 44
Reputation : 0
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: New Domain

Post by Sanket November 6th 2012, 7:52 am

It cannot be redirected to the external domain name you brought.

pandandacommunity.forumotion.com can only be redirected to VirtualKidsBase.com after making the settings as mentioned in the tutorial slg posted above.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766
Reputation : 2830
Language : English
Location : Mumbai

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: New Domain

Post by Donut November 6th 2012, 7:54 pm

Sanket wrote:It cannot be redirected to the external domain name you brought.

pandandacommunity.forumotion.com can only be redirected to VirtualKidsBase.com after making the settings as mentioned in the tutorial slg posted above.
You are not understanding me.

pandandacommunity.forumotion.com is already using a domain that I've bought through Forumotion which is PandandaForum.com. However, I want to use VirtualKidsBase.com for pandandacommunity.forumotion.com instead of PandandaForum.com.

I then want the domain that I own, PandandaForum.com to be redirected to VirtualKidsBase.com. I can not edit my forum address as I have a domain and it gives me a unable to update forum url error.

Please change my domain to VirtualKidsBase.com and give me the DNS details to configure it. Then I'd like PandandaForum.com to be redirected to it.
Donut
Donut
Forumember

Male Posts : 44
Reputation : 0
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: New Domain

Post by Shadow November 7th 2012, 12:12 pm

Hello,

No, you can't do this.
When you buy a domain name through Forumotion, it can only be attached to your forum.

What you want is impossible because you can configure only one domain name in your Admin Panel.
So, if you want your forum to be available on VirtualKidsBase.com, you need to remove PandandaForum.com (which is the domain name bought through Forumotion).
Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 16217
Reputation : 1831
Language : French, English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: New Domain

Post by Donut November 7th 2012, 7:57 pm

Leeloo wrote:Hello,

No, you can't do this.
When you buy a domain name through Forumotion, it can only be attached to your forum.

What you want is impossible because you can configure only one domain name in your Admin Panel.
So, if you want your forum to be available on VirtualKidsBase.com, you need to remove PandandaForum.com (which is the domain name bought through Forumotion).
Please remove PandandaForum.com and use it on vbktest.forumotion.com.
Please add VirtualKidsBase.com to pandandacommunity.forumotion.com.

What are the DNS for Forumotion to configure VirtualKidsBase.com?
Donut
Donut
Forumember

Male Posts : 44
Reputation : 0
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: New Domain

Post by Shadow November 8th 2012, 9:23 am

You can only remove the domain name from the forum and not transfer it to the forum of your choice.
Each forum is independent.

Here's the link to know how to remove a personalized domain name : https://help.forumotion.com/t105014-remove-transfer-a-personalized-domain-name

And here's the link to know how to redirects your external domain name to your forum : https://help.forumotion.com/t7021-redirect-an-extern-domain-name-that-you-own-to-your-board

You don't need to know the DNS, you need to make a CNAME record.
Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 16217
Reputation : 1831
Language : French, English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: New Domain

Post by Donut November 8th 2012, 8:07 pm

Leeloo wrote:You can only remove the domain name from the forum and not transfer it to the forum of your choice.
Each forum is independent.

Here's the link to know how to remove a personalized domain name : https://help.forumotion.com/t105014-remove-transfer-a-personalized-domain-name

And here's the link to know how to redirects your external domain name to your forum : https://help.forumotion.com/t7021-redirect-an-extern-domain-name-that-you-own-to-your-board

You don't need to know the DNS, you need to make a CNAME record.
Thank you. I have sent you a PM.
Donut
Donut
Forumember

Male Posts : 44
Reputation : 0
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: New Domain

Post by Shadow November 9th 2012, 9:33 am

Handled via PM.
Once again : removing a personalized domain name is possible, but attaching it to another forum is impossible.
Topic Solved & Locked
Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 16217
Reputation : 1831
Language : French, English

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum