The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New timezone management

+14
Dachone
lightfootfan
SarkZKalie
Glad E Olah
Garland
TheCrow
zaphod99
SLGray
Neymar1
Tonight
laurielurcher
Ape
Ramdaman
The Godfather
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

timezone - New timezone management - Page 2 Empty New timezone management

Post by The Godfather October 27th 2014, 4:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

Dear members !

We are very happy to announce an update of the timezone management on Forumotion forums.

The timezone settings are much more precise now :  you can be sure that  the forum will show the right time according to your location.
However, you will see, as the choice of locations is much larger than it was before, you and your members have to make some little adjustments.

It is important to choose a Timezone which corresponds most closely to your geographical location.  

Don’t forget, there are 2 different Timezone settings to consider on your forum:

• The forum's default Timezone

• The personal Timezone in the profile of the user

So, if you are the founder of the forum you have to check both of them.  The members of your forum have to adjust the second one, in their profiles.

1. Forum Timezone

This is the Timezone set by default in members profiles. It's also the Timezone used when non-registered users see the forum.

Admin panel >> General >> Forum >> Configuration

timezone - New timezone management - Page 2 Timezo10

2. Personal Timezone
When you are logged in, click on "Profile" on the top of your forum
timezone - New timezone management - Page 2 118

Click on "Preferences" tab, just above the frame.
click here to see the picture:

Go down and stop just before the Save button and choose the Timezone according to your country/area

click here to see the picture:

ForuMotion Team king

Last edited by APE on October 27th 2014, 6:19 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Fixed spoiler and changed some text for spelling)
The Godfather
The Godfather
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

timezone - New timezone management - Page 2 Empty Re: New timezone management

Post by Marvin November 1st 2014, 9:54 pm

Ramdaman wrote:The language names are translated into its language.

For example, Albanian is stated as Shqip, which means Albanian language in albanian.
Hi,
my board language and profile language is german but the names are stated in english.
They are even in english in the german support forum of forumotion.
Marvin
Marvin
Forumember

Male Posts : 320
Language : German, basic English, Spanish, basic Bavarian, broken Italian

http://www.schiggysboard.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramdaman November 1st 2014, 9:59 pm

Are you talking about the names of the languages?
Ramdaman
Ramdaman
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1615
Language : English, Albanian, Macedonian, Russian | HTML, CSS

http://ndihme.forumotion.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Marvin November 1st 2014, 10:03 pm

Ramdaman wrote:Are you talking about the names of the languages?
No about the names of the cities. This is an example from the german support forum.
The language is "Deutsch" means "german" in english but alle names of the cities are not german but english.
http://abload.de/img/unbenannt25uz5.png
Marvin
Marvin
Forumember

Male Posts : 320
Language : German, basic English, Spanish, basic Bavarian, broken Italian

http://www.schiggysboard.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramdaman November 1st 2014, 10:05 pm

Ohh I see. Well you have a good point there, though it might take forever to never to get that implemented. Post a suggestion if you wish to.
Ramdaman
Ramdaman
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1615
Language : English, Albanian, Macedonian, Russian | HTML, CSS

http://ndihme.forumotion.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by rivperformance November 5th 2014, 6:00 pm

SLGray wrote:To everyone:  This was an update that effected every forum's timezone management which means you have to change it in the administration panel and every member has to change it in their profiles.  You need to pick the nearest city to your location.

As a 7-year paying customer with Forumotion, this is completely unacceptable! I have over 2000 members who will now need to complete a random and unnecessary task!

As admin, I am perfectly fine making needed adjustments, even if inconvenient for me. But members of my forums should not be required to deal with such inconveniences. It reflects very poorly on me as administrator. This is not a small issue - this is a major problem and should not be repeated!

What's done is done. I understand that sometimes changes are needed, but Forumotion needs to be more forward-thinking and not institute solutions that cause inconvenience for members. There must me a different (better) way to correct the timezone issue in the future. This goes for any/all future changes to the forums: let the admin take care of changes in settings. Do not require members to be administrators.

Thank you,
Aaron

Link removed
rivperformance
rivperformance
Forumember

Male Posts : 66
Language : English

http://www.rivperformance.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Base November 5th 2014, 6:25 pm

@rivperformance There was no need to post your forum URL. This is considered as advertising. Please do not do this again, thank you.
Base
Base
Forumaster

Male Posts : 10386
Language : English and French

http://forumotionhub.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape November 5th 2014, 6:32 pm

Dear rivperformance,

We understand you are frustrated about the change to the timezone system but as you will understand all members come from all around the world and we do not know every members timezone so we can not change them for the members. The old system was not working right so we had to fix this as soon as we could.

out tech team then made the change and out it in place. The problem was we could only set the new system to a default of one place in the world and i think but not sure but the software makes it own default setting and has nothing to do with us picking the times and dates.

The time zones on the profiles would have had to be changed by the members when they made there accounts on the forum in the first place and to ask your members to change them again will take no more then 3 seconds to do.

as i have already said i know this is a pain but there is no other way around this and we are sorry it has come to this but it was something that we could not help at this time.

I really hope you understand.

APE

timezone - New timezone management - Page 2 Left1212timezone - New timezone management - Page 2 Center11timezone - New timezone management - Page 2 Right112
timezone - New timezone management - Page 2 Ape_b110
timezone - New timezone management - Page 2 Ape1010
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 19161
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray November 5th 2014, 8:08 pm

You need to remember Forumotion offers forum hosting for freeYou pay for optional things, not for forum hosting.

timezone - New timezone management - Page 2 Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51512

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Hunk November 5th 2014, 8:56 pm

rivperformance wrote:
SLGray wrote:To everyone:  This was an update that effected every forum's timezone management which means you have to change it in the administration panel and every member has to change it in their profiles.  You need to pick the nearest city to your location.

As a 7-year paying customer with Forumotion, this is completely unacceptable! I have over 2000 members who will now need to complete a random and unnecessary task!

As admin, I am perfectly fine making needed adjustments, even if inconvenient for me. But members of my forums should not be required to deal with such inconveniences. It reflects very poorly on me as administrator. This is not a small issue - this is a major problem and should not be repeated!

What's done is done. I understand that sometimes changes are needed, but Forumotion needs to be more forward-thinking and not institute solutions that cause inconvenience for members. There must me a different (better) way to correct the timezone issue in the future. This goes for any/all future changes to the forums: let the admin take care of changes in settings. Do not require members to be administrators.

Thank you,
Aaron

Link removed
I see nothing wrong with the way they handled this particular bug. If the best solution is to replace it with a better code, then I'm all for it. Your members can easily update their personal clocks once you notify them about the change and instruct them how to update their own. I'm sure they are capable of doing that all by themselves.

Good job, Devs. I had no problem doing both.  cool-blue
Captain Hunk
Captain Hunk
Forumember

Male Posts : 130

Back to top Go down

Post by rivperformance November 7th 2014, 11:11 pm

Base wrote:There was no need to post your forum URL. This is considered as advertising. Please do not do this again, thank you.
The URL is for identification and troubleshooting purposes - not advertizing. My forums are interest-based, for owners of a specific automobile. There is no incentive for me to advertise here. This is a support form, is it not?. Please be sensitive to context.

In the past I have seen other members' posts with URL for forum ID. If this is a new rule, sorry I am not aware of it.

APE wrote:We understand you are frustrated about the change to the timezone system but as you will understand all members come from all around the world and we do not know every members timezone so we can not change them for the members. The old system was not working right so we had to fix this as soon as we could.

out tech team then made the change and out it in place. The problem was we could only set the new system to a default of one place in the world and i think but not sure but the software makes it own default setting and has nothing to do with us picking the times and dates.

The time zones on the profiles would have had to be changed by the members when they made there accounts on the forum in the first place and to ask your members to change them again will take no more then 3 seconds to do.
Thank you for the reply. I understand that things can happen with unexpected results.

I expressed my displeasure with the update in order to convey my membership's feeling on this - so that Forumotion management can know how a seemingly insignificant thing like a time zone update, which may take 3 secs for a moderator or expert user, can be a burden for members who are not savvy with profile operation. Most of my members would rather "set-and-forget" their profile settings after registering, rather than be bothered with periodic maintenance updates.

When something like this happens (which is not often) the perception from members at my board is that something is faulty. My explaining how to fix is viewed as an excuse for the fault. This is the point I want to make.

I am not angry or dissatisfied with the forums in general. Overall my experience here has been very good for quite some time.

SLGray wrote:You need to remember Forumotion offers forum hosting for freeYou pay for optional things, not for forum hosting.
I hope you are not implying 'free' means poor service is acceptable. I pay for the ad-free service option. I do this this largely because the free hosting service performs correctly.

Thanks to mod/admin/manager for help with this issue. I am glad the time problem is fixed and hope it will remain working properly in the future.

Aaron
rivperformance
rivperformance
Forumember

Male Posts : 66

http://www.rivperformance.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray November 8th 2014, 3:08 am

Before this topic gets out of hand, I will locked it.  If you need help with it, please start a topic in the support section.

timezone - New timezone management - Page 2 Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51512

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2