The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Don't mark old unread private messages as new

3 posters

Go down

In progress Don't mark old unread private messages as new

Post by Wecoc August 1st 2020, 10:21 pm

I like the new PM system to mark private messages as read / unread, but I have a little problem with that.

As many others, I use buttons on the navbar of my forum, and this one changes if you have new messages. The problem is it also displays the "New messages" button if you have unread messages, even if they are very old, so it's a bit confusing. Some people may want to have unread messages but that makes that button useless since it will always look the same. This didn't happen before.

I was wondering if there's an easy way to change that. I'm not sure if it's a bug of the new system, or it was meant to be like that; in the last case maybe a Javascript for those who prefer the old button behavior may be the way to go.

With Javascript you can store in the cache the date of your last visit, and use that to check if the unread messages are new or not, but I'm not sure what's the best way to do that.
Wecoc
Wecoc
Forumember

Male Posts : 144
Language : Catalan, Spanish, English

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: Don't mark old unread private messages as new

Post by SLGray August 2nd 2020, 5:19 am

Please post screenshots with the issue you are referring to marked.

Don't mark old unread private messages as new Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51489
Language : English

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by skouliki August 2nd 2020, 8:54 am

hello

@Wecoc means that if you have 20 inbox messages and one of them is unread even if that pm is dated last year the system shows that you have New messages
for the system to shows No new messages all inbox messages must be read (new and old)

@jkh also said that

the 'New PM' now flashes when you also have a PM in your outbox - that didn't happen before, it only used to happen when there was a new PM in your inbox. I
skouliki
skouliki
Manager
Manager

Female Posts : 15133
Language : English,Greek

http://iconskouliki.forumgreek.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wecoc August 2nd 2020, 11:11 pm

@Wecoc means that if you have 20 inbox messages and one of them is unread even if that pm is dated last year the system shows that you have New messages
for the system to shows No new messages all inbox messages must be read (new and old)

Exactly. It worked fine until that last update on the PM.

the 'New PM' now flashes when you also have a PM in your outbox

I thought that could be the problem at first, but as far as I tested I don't think that's right. The problem is only in the inbox.

Screenshots:

As I said maybe it's not a bug and it was meant to behave this way, but I would prefer to have the old behaviour instead, even if I have to modify a template or add a Javascript for that.
Wecoc
Wecoc
Forumember

Male Posts : 144
Language : Catalan, Spanish, English

Back to top Go down