The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IP of registered user

5 posters

Go down

In progress IP of registered user

Post by koimaster April 25th 2013, 2:42 am

Ok, so we want to stop trolls. Is there a way for an admin to discover the iP of a new registration without the user logging in or being viewed in the "who is on-line" section. We cannot tell who the people are that are on line without a name or IP association. I would think there would be a log file available for admin to see the IP of a newly registered user.
koimaster
koimaster
Forumember

Male Posts : 162
Language : english

http://watchlords.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: IP of registered user

Post by kirk April 25th 2013, 3:02 am

koimaster wrote:Ok, so we want to stop trolls. Is there a way for an admin to discover the iP of a new registration without the user logging in or being viewed in the "who is on-line" section. We cannot tell who the people are that are on line without a name or IP association. I would think there would be a log file available for admin to see the IP of a newly registered user.

No they either have to be logged in or have at least one post to check the ip
If they are logged in then you can see who is online in the admin panel home page
You will see the ip next to the names of who is logged in.

Other then that they would have to have a post,then you can check through that way.

I suggested to you before that you should have a welcome forum where all new members must have to say hi and introduce theire self before being put into a members group where they then have permissions for access or allowed to post on other sections.

By having a welcome board where all new members must post first before they are granted posting permissions to other sections will allow you and your staff to check ip first.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by koimaster April 26th 2013, 6:16 pm

I have set up a sub forum in the admin section for this purpose ( new members) but it is difficult to move 800 members into one group which has access to the forum. These photos will hopefully show what I have done but when I activate a membership, I try to move that member into the dog pound sub forum where only admin has rights to see or post. Probably doing this wrong since members can see all forums.

IP of registered user Dogpoundforum_zpsb7601c8b

IP of registered user Permissions_zpseb8a6d3a

Some of the current groups and sub groups which have varing degrees of access. A couple of the sub-groups are for very long time members but they are limited to only 50 members out of 800+

IP of registered user Groups_zps76e75982

Typical forum permissions

IP of registered user Forumpermissions2_zps87fa3db4

This on-going troll attack is coming from a source we know and at this point I have also had my attorney contact the watch company regarding it but when I have 40 registrations per day, many like the one below with spoof emails or trool name registrations it gets a bit old. By the way, the Carol referred to is my late wife who you see in my sig file and avatar. I will not disclose the watch company involved here on a public forum but this has been ongoing for three years now.

IP of registered user Trollregistration_zps216e759f
koimaster
koimaster
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy April 26th 2013, 6:49 pm

Hello,

You can set an auto-subscribe groups:
https://help.forumotion.com/t57913-auto-subscribe-to-groups

Where they get access to more forums as they earn more posts on your forum.
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk April 26th 2013, 10:04 pm

Jophy wrote:Hello,

You can set an auto-subscribe groups:
https://help.forumotion.com/t57913-auto-subscribe-to-groups

Where they get access to more forums as they earn more posts on your forum.

well you can try that and send out a mass pm and ask all members to subscribe to the members group and they have a week or few days to do so.Of course you may not get everyone to do it in that time but as many that do will help for less you and your staff would have to add to the group your self, And you may even get the trolls to join it to, but can weed them out latter when they post something breaking your rules.

koimaster wrote:

other then that. If you like to create and put me in as a temp admin then i will help you sort out the boards and group permissions how you like, and also help move some members into the members group. We usually do not do this but i know this has been an on going problem and you have been a member here for a long time so will try to help sort it the best you can get it. I mean even the dog house method will not be 100% but should help. So let me know.. if not then try to add the auto subscribe to a members group and send out a mass pm and try to get as many members join the group as possible.. Just say you are making some changes and all members are going to be in a members group now and to please subscribe to the group or you may not have permissions as you had before until you are in the members group.. and give them like a week or so.. You know just an example pm, you can send it how you wish.

If you do create a temp admin account and want me to help, be sure not to post the user and pass here just pm me it, then when i am fished helping you .You can delete or change the pass Smile

kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest April 27th 2013, 11:30 am

Koimaster-
From your posts it seems you trying to create a section on your forum for newly registered users that only new users,admins and moderators can see, but not the other members who are not in the new users group. Yes this can be done.

Where you are going wrong based on your screenshots.Is that where it says forum permissions you have to untick the box for members.

Then once you have done that where it says read topics,reply to topics and other permissions etc, only tick the boxes for admins,moderators and new user not any of the other members groups. Then only admins,moderators and new members will be able to see that section and post not any other members.

Also have account activation by the admin only for new registrations,then you can reject any registrations that you think are spam or previously banned members.

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk April 28th 2013, 9:51 pm

Andrea Borman wrote:

Also have account activation by the admin only for new registrations,then you can reject any registrations that you think are spam or previously banned members.

Well the problem with that is there is really no way to know who is who.
I would say always leave it as email activation this way someone has to keep creating new emails to activate their accounts and would hopefully get sick of having to create a new each time.

But is up to the forums owner or what they think is the best way Smile
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest April 29th 2013, 12:37 am

That's true Kirk as most people have dynamic IPs that constantly change.So sometimes the IP address can be different,although there are other ways you can tell. Because most banned users who register again are not really all that bright in hiding themselves. So you can often guess it's the same member by the way they are posting. On my forum one banned member who came back had hidden his IP, in his first few posts with a proxy, but his later IPs showed it was him,for example. You just have to be alert and put all new members under moderation. Until you are satisfied they are not spammers or banned members.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape April 29th 2013, 1:37 am

When banning a member ban the Email address as soon as you can as @kirk is saying they will get board sooner or later and leave your forum when having to make a new Email address each time they want to go in your forum also ban the name used ip address can also be banned but it will not help much if you have a rolling ip address.

Your Friendly Helper Ape IP of registered user Ascaso
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 19128
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by koimaster May 2nd 2013, 12:59 am

kirk wrote:
Andrea Borman wrote:

Well the problem with that is there is really no way to know who is who.
I would say always leave it as email activation this way someone has to keep creating new emails to activate their accounts and would hopefully get sick of having to create a new each time.

But is up to the forums owner or what they think is the best way Smile

Hi Kirk
I will set you up as a temp admin with rights to make the changes if needed. I just deleted a lot of these troll registrations in the last week or so with more to come. You can email me at Content Removed so we can arrange for you to register and get rights. I appreciate the help.
koimaster
koimaster
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray May 2nd 2013, 9:02 pm

I removed your email address from your post for your safety. Remember this is a PUBLIC forum that mean anyone can see and use your email address. I would never post my email address on a PUBLIC forum.

IP of registered user Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51495
Language : English

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest May 2nd 2013, 9:32 pm

SLGray wrote:I removed your email address from your post for your safety. Remember this is a PUBLIC forum that mean anyone can see and use your email address. I would never post my email address on a PUBLIC forum.
Absolutely you should not. As if your email address is the same as what you use with your forum account,someone could access your account. Also in the contact fields on profiles, such as Aim and MSN Messenger, you should not post the same email there if it is the same as your forum account email. Or preferably, hide the messenger contact fields from guests or maybe don't display them on profiles at all for additional security.

Back to top Go down