The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can we trust Internet sources?

+3
brandon_g
Ace 1
Nemo
7 posters

Go down

Can we trust Internet sources? Empty Can we trust Internet sources?

Post by Nemo May 16th 2015, 11:02 pm

I recently read many books about this matter. However, I was really impressed with a book which was presented in Polis ( a part of the Department of Media and Communications of London School of Economics and Political Science. It is the place where journalists and the wider world can examine and discuss the media and its impact on society ). This books talks about the possible issues that Internet has because of its popularity. More specifically, the two authors, John Mair, senior lecturer in journalism at Coventry University and a former producer and director for BBC, ITV and Channel Four, and Richard Lance Keeble, professor of journalism at the University of Lincoln and joint editor of Ethical Space: The International Journal of Communication Ethics, have stated:

There are risks, of course. The fact is that the Internet is a vast space, much bigger than the Old Media area. Inevitably, there will be a lot more rubbish floating around, reflecting people’s desire to communicate nonsense and spleen as well as facts and analysis.

Personally, I believe that people should be more careful. Nowadays, everyone uses Wikipedia. Wikipedia is just a collection of stuff written by anyone. Are we sure that all the information is correct? In all the quality universities, professors, lecturers and graduate teaching assistants do not accept paperworks which contain content from Wikipedia or similar websites. In addition, there is a wide variety of websites and blogs out there which publish news every hour. Do we know if the news come from a reliable source? However, how can we understand that posts in a blog are inaccurate and that they include fake content while we know nothing about the analysed subject? Perhaps, we could read more than one source on a topic in order to have multiple perspectives to consider, no?

I would like to see many thoughts about this issue. But, remember that we should respect everyone's opinions.

Hello
Nemo
Nemo
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1203
Language : Greek, English, French

http://www.helpgr.forumgreek.com

Back to top Go down

Can we trust Internet sources? Empty Re: Can we trust Internet sources?

Post by Ace 1 May 16th 2015, 11:16 pm

Nemo wrote:Perhaps, we could read more than one source on a topic in order to have multiple perspectives to consider, no?

Yeah, that's why I often use Wikipedia to get a broad background then verify the details by reading another more reliable source.
Ace 1
Ace 1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 843
Language : English - French?

https://help.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo May 16th 2015, 11:20 pm

Hello @Ace 1,

What is a more reliable source for you? What are the things which make you think that most of the given information is true and correct?

Personally, I always try to find the curriculum vitae of the author(s).

Hello
Nemo
Nemo
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1203
Language : Greek, English, French

http://www.helpgr.forumgreek.com

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g May 17th 2015, 12:05 am

I avoid wikipedia at all costs. I would rather look through pages of google then use wikipedia, it personalized articles, so I do not use it.

-Brandon

Can we trust Internet sources? Brando10
Remember to mark your topic Can we trust Internet sources? Solved15 when a solution is found.
General Rules | Tips & Tricks | FAQ | Forgot Founder Password?

Can we trust Internet sources? Scre1476
Team Leader
Review Section Rules | Request A Review | Sticker Points
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 10106
Language : English

https://www.broadcastingduo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ace 1 May 17th 2015, 12:35 am

I just like the speed of Wikipedia, regardless of the validity of the information because @Nemo I use basically anything that I can find at my public library. I usually use articles and books.
Ace 1
Ace 1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 843
Language : English - French?

https://help.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray May 17th 2015, 3:26 pm

It does not matter if it is on the Internet, in a magazine, a book, etc. when you read anything you need to look for footnotes, citations, quotes, etc.

Can we trust Internet sources? Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51452

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri June 13th 2015, 4:08 am

As someone who studies social sciences I have to be incredibly cautious about what I use. I can generally get away with using academic websites maintained by various academic individuals e.g. People of the profession. However I normally have to seek either academic textbooks or more often than not I actually need to use academic journals because they are widely accepted and you rarely get the same question of authenticity that you normally do when it comes to using websites.

Sometimes I have to use websites and have to use 'questionable' websites such as blogs, news articles and even social media as a source but that is quite rare and in doing so usually its to present background information or a broad public opinion. In terms of blogs its usually to accompany research as many people conduct psychological experiments and then post method and results via blogs.

Sometimes Wikipedia is helpful in the sense that it can link you to various academic sources. I have occasionally found academic journals via Wikipedia.

Derri
Derri
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 8755
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Post by Russel August 3rd 2015, 10:18 am

Though Wikipedia is not acceptable as a source, the sources used to compile information to draft each article as often scholarly and listed at the conclusion of each Wikipedia article. Even more important, though, is the way that students use Wikipedia in their writing. Academic work is always about the critical analysis of issues, not the mere reiteration of an existing consensus. Turning to Wikipedia is often a sign that a student is missing the point of an assignment and of the academic project in general.

And yes, I admit I completed my degree course in college with a big help of Wikipedia and Google. It is just when you look or search for some sources, don't just stick with in one source only. Get second, third or more sources like books, etc
Russel
Russel
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1407
Language : English, Filipino

Back to top Go down

Post by SIRJOE DAVE August 7th 2015, 11:41 pm

nice one
SIRJOE DAVE

Language : ENGLISH

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray August 8th 2015, 6:22 am

SLGray wrote:It does not matter if it is on the Internet, in a magazine, a book, etc. when you read anything you need to look for footnotes, citations, quotes, etc.
What I mean is you need to look at the sources used.

Can we trust Internet sources? Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51452

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down