The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to create permission (No write & reply for some users)

3 posters

Go down

In progress How to create permission (No write & reply for some users)

Post by BalkanHax September 14th 2015, 2:02 pm

Hey guys, i hope you can help me. I want to know how can I set up in my Forum for some Members, that they are not allowed to write/reply on forum, they should only read the forum. It's some kind of "punishment" for people who are spamming too much in the forum and they should not be able to write anymore.

https://help.forumotion.com/t138466-permissions
I read this topic, but there is no explanation how to set a group for one/some people and to disable the writing for them. I can only disable "Write & reply" for guests and members but not for new created groups. As i dont want that all members are not able to write, how can i do it for only some people who should get this punishment.

Please give me a detailed tutorial for the admin panel. Thank you very much.

Greets.
BalkanHax

Language : German, English, Serbian

http://www.rs-srb.com/

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: How to create permission (No write & reply for some users)

Post by brandon_g September 14th 2015, 2:13 pm

Hello,

The only way you could do this is to make the users a hidden group and untick them from can write and reply, however, this would also mean you cant tick 'Members' under that as well, so you would have to make almost every user on the forum a hidden group, so that they could post.

It is a real pain in the rear, the permissions area just was not designed to allow something like this easily.. Your better off just temporarily banning them.

-Brandon

How to create permission (No write & reply for some users) Brando10
Remember to mark your topic How to create permission (No write & reply for some users) Solved15 when a solution is found.
General Rules | Tips & Tricks | FAQ | Forgot Founder Password?

How to create permission (No write & reply for some users) Scre1476
Team Leader
Review Section Rules | Request A Review | Sticker Points
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 10106
Language : English

https://www.broadcastingduo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow September 14th 2015, 2:17 pm

Hello

- First, you have to create a group (you'll add all members with specific permissions in that group)
- Then, you can follow the tutorial and manage the permissions:
How to create permission (No write & reply for some users) 14-09-11
For this group you can choose to let them read and view but disallow them to write and reply... You have to set the permission for each forum category. Smile
Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 16217
Language : French, English

Back to top Go down

Post by BalkanHax September 14th 2015, 2:19 pm

Dear Buttercup, as you can see the new group in this example, called Moderateurs, you cant untick Write&reply. The square is "invisible". Very Happy
Thats the main problem i have Sad
BalkanHax

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow September 14th 2015, 2:22 pm

Okay! Indeed that is not possible for Moderator (normally a moderator should be able to reply & write Wink ). But as Brandon said, the only way is to make a hidden group on which you add only one person.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I didn't think you were talking about a moderator Smile
Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 16217
Language : French, English

Back to top Go down

Post by BalkanHax September 14th 2015, 2:26 pm

This system with hidden group sounds very complicated as brandon said. I cant create a hidden group for every user on the forum, to allow them to write or not, this would be too much work with 300 members. Sadly, because it would be such a simple thing if you could untick "write&reply" for new groups, but currently forumotion dont allow it do to. The creators dont think about this, maybe somedays they will change it. Very Happy
BalkanHax

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g September 14th 2015, 2:52 pm

Well in Buttercup's screenshot, the reason 'view and read' is greyed out, is because 'guests' and 'members' is selected, if she werr to untick can 'view and read' for Guests and Members, you would then be able to untick by groups. The system assumes, if Members (meaning all members) can do something, then every group is allowed as well. Which is why it greys it out.

The other way you could possibly do it, is to create a group called 'Members' which can be an 'open group' when you first create it initally, set it to auto subscribe at 0, this will add all current users in it. Then untick auto subscribe.

Then you can set that group to 'Can write and reply', simply remove the spammers from the group and wallaha, they cant post. This method would also require that you add all new users to the site to the group by hand.

The only other way is the hidden group method.

Either way, it is complicated and a pain. Since Forumotion is a free service, I reckon they choose to set things up in a way it is simple and easy for users. Unfornatelly, doing so does have its drawbacks and limitations

As I said, your just better off temporarily banning them.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help Sad,
-Brandon

How to create permission (No write & reply for some users) Brando10
Remember to mark your topic How to create permission (No write & reply for some users) Solved15 when a solution is found.
General Rules | Tips & Tricks | FAQ | Forgot Founder Password?

How to create permission (No write & reply for some users) Scre1476
Team Leader
Review Section Rules | Request A Review | Sticker Points
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 10106
Language : English

https://www.broadcastingduo.com

Back to top Go down