The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How colud membrs ask to be part of a group to see a restricted forum?

2 posters

Go down

Solved How colud membrs ask to be part of a group to see a restricted forum?

Post by isa111 November 5th 2015, 3:17 pm

Hello

I am the Admin of a free forum, and in the "Administration Panel > General > Forum > Categories and forums" I have set the permission for one of the forums so that the option "View the forum" is checked for all members but "Read the topics", "Reply to a message", and others are only checked for a special group of users which I have created. In "Users & Groups > Groups > Group Administration", in the "Group status" section, I have chosen the option "Opened group", which it says it will allow a user to "ask to be a part of the group", but when the members click on the forum title, they get the message "Sorry, but only users granted special access can read topics in this forum" without any further option to allow them to request to be a part of the group who can access the forum.
Is there a bug or something, or have I overlooked some setting?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by isa111 on November 5th 2015, 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
isa111
isa111

Language : English

http://class1392-en.manageboard.com

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: How colud membrs ask to be part of a group to see a restricted forum?

Post by brandon_g November 5th 2015, 4:07 pm

Hello,

What an open group means is, if someone were to go to the usergroups/groups page, they can see that group on the list and then send a request to join. The permissions for an indiviual section is completely seperate and if one is not in a group that is allowed to view the topics, it will give that message, 'Sorry, but only users granted special access can view topics in this section'. In essence, all this means is, the user will have to go the groups page, which you should be able to find in the navigation bar or by adding /groups to the site url, send the request to join the group, then once they are approved and have joined the group, will then be able to read the topics in the section.

-Brandon

How colud membrs ask to be part of a group to see a restricted forum? Brando10
Remember to mark your topic How colud membrs ask to be part of a group to see a restricted forum? Solved15 when a solution is found.
General Rules | Tips & Tricks | FAQ | Forgot Founder Password?

How colud membrs ask to be part of a group to see a restricted forum? Scre1476
Team Leader
Review Section Rules | Request A Review | Sticker Points
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 10106

https://www.broadcastingduo.com

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: How colud membrs ask to be part of a group to see a restricted forum?

Post by isa111 November 5th 2015, 8:36 pm

I thought there must be a "Join Group" button next to that Sorry... message, and I think it would be much better if it was possible to send the request for joining on the same page, instead of having the members navigate to usergroups page.

Thank you very much
isa111
isa111

http://class1392-en.manageboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g November 5th 2015, 8:50 pm

No, unfornatelly there is not, the message is universal and can only modified serverside (I believe), the main reason there is not a join button there, is because, if someone has it set so, lets say only an admin can post in a certain section, the admins group is a closed group, cant have people just trying to join the admins group. Since the message is universal, it has been designed to fit all cermstances so that there is never any issues or confusion.

You could maybe a write a tutorial saying that they first have to go the usergroups page to send the request before they try to view the forum.

Anyway, I see you marked with this with solved, so I take it this solves/answers your question? Is this solved?

-Brandon

Remember to mark your topic How colud membrs ask to be part of a group to see a restricted forum? Solved15 when a solution is found.

Team Leader
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g November 7th 2015, 3:00 am

Since it has been 24 hours and there has been no reply, I am going to go ahead and archive this, if it turns out to not be solved, feel free to send me a pm with the link to this topic to request an unlock.

Topic solved and archived ~ brandon_g

Team Leader
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Back to top Go down