The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Photobucket update

+16
Swedegfx
azwiz
Ape
cassini
SLGray
VoIP
TonnyKamper
Guardian-Angel
Malum
SarkZKalie
Draxion
Richardr
YoshiGM
Eyeball
brandon_g
Shadow
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Photobucket update - Page 2 Empty Photobucket update

Post by Shadow July 10th 2017, 3:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

PhotoBucket changed its terms of use

Photobucket update - Page 2 Photob10

Dear users,

We inform you that the hosting images service PhotoBucket, which is one of the biggest hosting service on the internet and used by a lot of Forumotion users, changed its terms of use and you have now to pay to use it.

Since the beginning of July 2017, Photobucket added fees to display the images it hosts on third-party hosting. Indeed, this service allows only the users that have a premium account on their service to see the pictures hosted there. A premium account is around 400$ / year ! affraid

Consequence : more than 100 millions of internet users discovered a notification that asked them to buy a premium account to be able to use the images hosted on Photobucket or just to see them on their own website.

Indeed, the images hosted on Photobucket are only displayed for the premium account and are not shown on external websites they are on, replaced by an image that invites the users to suscribe to a premium account.

See exemple:

To avoid any problem on Forumotion themes and forums, we are going to replace all the PhotoBucket images that are on Forumotion by an empty image.

We'll do it on the Wednesday 12 of July 2017. As a consequence, we invite all the administrators that have PhotoBucket images on their forum to change their host by hosting those images on another host, such as Servimg which stays free.

Thank you for your understanding,

Best Reguards,
The Forumotion staff king

Last edited by Shadow on July 10th 2017, 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 16217
Language : French, English

Back to top Go down

Photobucket update - Page 2 Empty Re: Photobucket update

Post by Ape July 17th 2017, 12:00 pm

Hello @VoIP,

Forumotion is a free forum host and we don't make a lot of money,
Most of our income comes from ad's on your forums and now and then we get a little from you the members if you pay for credits to use on removing ad's but this is not a lot of money.

To add our own pictures and images host on our servers will only slow things down and take up much needed space.

This is why we have out side hosts to help us with this.
Photobuket has NEVER been one of our out side hosts it's just members have used them before.

We pay for the following hosts servimg and Imgur of their service and they give us just what we need.

I do understand what your saying that if servimg or Imgur do some work on their servers it can get some down time but this is not very often and we don't see it a problem.

We can't say that that system will be up 100% as we can't even say we can be up 100% no one can.

Even if we was to host things our end we can not guarantee we could be running them 100% we also have to do updates and change things on our servers so if we had this it could go down just like outside hosts.

Also using Big Data / cloud based systems will cost to much to keep and there is still limits they have and to tell you the truth we just don't make that sort of money to have all our forums using that sort of thing.

You have to remember we are a FREE forum host not a paid service.
And this post was only made to worn members of what was going on not really anything else.

Photobucket update - Page 2 Left1212Photobucket update - Page 2 Center11Photobucket update - Page 2 Right112
Photobucket update - Page 2 Ape_b110
Photobucket update - Page 2 Ape1010
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 19075
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by VoIP July 18th 2017, 3:41 am

APE wrote:Hello @VoIP,

Forumotion is a free forum host and we don't make a lot of money,
Most of our income comes from ad's on your forums and now and then we get a little from you the members if you pay for credits to use on removing ad's but this is not a lot of money.

To add our own pictures and images host on our servers will only slow things down and take up much needed space.

This is why we have out side hosts to help us with this.
Photobuket has NEVER been one of our out side hosts it's just members have used them before.

We pay for the following hosts servimg and Imgur of their service and they give us just what we need.

I do understand what your saying that if servimg or Imgur do some work on their servers it can get some down time but this is not very often and we don't see it a problem.

We can't say that that system will be up 100% as we can't even say we can be up 100% no one can.

Even if we was to host things our end we can not guarantee we could be running them 100% we also have to do updates and change things on our servers so if we had this it could go down just like outside hosts.

Also using Big Data / cloud based systems will cost to much to keep and there is still limits they have and to tell you the truth we just don't make that sort of money to have all our forums using that sort of thing.

And this post was only made to worn members of what was going on not really anything else.

Thanks for Response @Ape but the following is a list for you.

I am not understanding this "We pay for the following hosts servimg and Imgur of their service and they give us just what we need." if you are paying for the usuage why isn't this inccorporated into the forum? Even if the core images (such as the theme) was being hosted, we can't expect more than 1gb of data, I'd estimiate about 300mb or so.

"Even if we was to host things our end we can not guarantee we could be running them 100% we also have to do updates and change things on our servers so if we had this it could go down just like outside hosts." -- I never stated 100% I realize updates are a neccesties for a web server, but what I am stating to that is, if the forum software is providing the support for the software, why not the digtial accessbility to the images. We are talking "7" kb for a jpeg of 100px x 100px.

I understand its a free service, I used to use the forum provider for up to 5 years before leaving the forumotion scene.

Yes, and a warning needs a resolution. My resolution is to just have forumotion backup the theme, again we are looking at under 300mb of image data for the theme. Avatars, are at least important its the critical parts of the forum such as the imagery. Else we might as well be running a Lynx browser on the page, its just text and css colors. Again to the resolution, forumotion can provide a throttled dropbox.

I may not understand the purpose of forumotion deciding to be using third party websites, but to answer this: To add our own pictures and images host on our servers will only slow things down and take up much needed space.

A resolution is to disable non active websites, and clear out the database. Problem solved. I noticed there are far too many forumotion websites that are outdated with lack of activity and if there is no activity between 2+ years, safe to say remove it.

Last edited by VoIP on July 18th 2017, 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Cleaner view.)
VoIP
VoIP

Language : English

http://test.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray July 18th 2017, 3:54 am

Forums are removed for inactivity, but there are too many to really keep track of.  Remember this is a worldwide community.

Photobucket update - Page 2 Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51453

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g July 18th 2017, 12:39 pm

Well forumotion has used servimg for quite a few years now. I don't think there are any plans to change this anytime soon.

Photobucket update - Page 2 Brando10
Remember to mark your topic Photobucket update - Page 2 Solved15 when a solution is found.
General Rules | Tips & Tricks | FAQ | Forgot Founder Password?

Photobucket update - Page 2 Scre1476
Team Leader
Review Section Rules | Request A Review | Sticker Points
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 10106

https://www.broadcastingduo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape July 18th 2017, 6:42 pm

we are just going to go round round on this one @VoIP
Lets just say that FM are happy to do it this way and it's how it's going to be.

we have unlimited space on servimg for really little cost as far as i can tell, FM would have looked in to this before that is why we took this way as a better way.

Photobucket update - Page 2 Left1212Photobucket update - Page 2 Center11Photobucket update - Page 2 Right112
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Swedegfx July 19th 2017, 3:31 pm

Hello,

This topic/info was posted yesterday July 18th, 6.42 PM in admin panel and I had not time to read it until now the 19th.
I have a graphic forum and we are creating a lot of signature tags etc. Some still have the paid Photobucket account and their links were still good.
Came in to the forum and saw all posts with PB-links are emptied and replaced with https://2img.net/i/fa/pbucket.gif.

Where is the "button" where I can allow the Photobucket links to show up?
I could not find anything about it in admin panel.

My moderator is MIA due to a surgery and she had made up 50 different pages which are going to be posted every day until the 31st of July. Now all are not showing the images so need to be updated but I do not have the images and I can't even copy a pb-link.

It would have been great if you had sent this to the admin panel before yesterday as I am not in here every day.

I know this is not the support page but thought you might have an idea to solve this or give a hint where I can click to allow Photobucket links.

I know many other taggers on graphic forums are now crying out loud.

Thank you for reading!
Have a nice day!
Swedegfx
Swedegfx
Forumember

http://crazycoolpals.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by VoIP July 20th 2017, 3:33 am

APE wrote:we are just going to go round round on this one @VoIP
Lets just say that FM are happy to do it this way and it's how it's going to be.

we have unlimited space on servimg for really little cost as far as i can tell, FM would have looked in to this before that is why we took this way as a better way.

Then you answered my question. As long as forumotion isn't "Piggy backriding" (making users use third party websites ) then that satisfies my issue.
VoIP
VoIP

http://test.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Beckea July 20th 2017, 7:27 pm

Wolfuryo wrote:400$ is a lot just for hosting a few images. Good thing that i've got my own server for my photos Smile
Totally agree. I am going to close my account at Photobucket this week and say good bye. I looked at the plans and the one that would be needed was the $399 (400) so yeah not going to use them anymore.
Beckea
Beckea
Forumember

Female Posts : 27

Back to top Go down

Post by cromar July 21st 2017, 2:15 am

Just to clarify that those who had any kind of active paid subscription with Photobucket in June this year (like $30 for me) will continue to have 3rd party hosting privilege until the end of 2018, providing they maintain their subscription, of course, but without having to pay the $400.

That's why I panicked when I saw that all my images were blank today and that the links were pointing to illiweb? Thought I had been hacked or something! Obviously I hadn't read about the upcoming update! I changed the option in the Admin panel, as indicated, and everything is back to normal, thank god!

Is there a way to get notified of major changes via email or something? Can I enroll somewhere? Thank you for letting me know.
cromar
cromar

Language : english

http://federer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray July 21st 2017, 2:52 am

Usually the announcements here will appear in your administration panel (homepage).

SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape July 21st 2017, 11:31 am

There is one other way you can get Emails about updates and that is to watch the update forum by clicking the link  here   Start watching forum then set your profile settings to Email you.

Note: only downfall is if you are watching other threads / posts / forums then you will get a Email for all of them also.

Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape March 28th 2018, 5:19 pm

ElenaHensley wrote:I found interesting photoshop manipulation ideas http://weedit.photos/2017/photo-manipulation-photoshop/
I would be glad to hear your opinion on this!
Dear @ElenaHensley This post has nothing to do with Photobucket problems Please Don't post in this thread if it has nothing to do with the subject.

Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by rivperformance April 16th 2018, 5:32 am

FYI, a few weeks ago I noticed photobucket images were appearing again in our forums. It was not all images, but some. Here is our forum address:

http://rivperformance.editboard.com/forum

This occurred with the General/Security/"Disable the display of Photobucket pictures on the forum" option selected "YES".

Switching the above preference to "NO" has no effect on the Photobucket images that are working, but some "3rd Party Hosting" messages are now visible.

Has anyone else noticed this strange change in the forums?
rivperformance
rivperformance
Forumember

Male Posts : 66

http://www.rivperformance.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray April 16th 2018, 5:39 am

rivperformance wrote:but some "3rd Party Hosting" messages are now visible.
What do you mean by this?

SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by jucarese April 16th 2018, 11:54 am

he refers this option:
Photobucket update - Page 2 Screen20
esto no permitiría que las imágenes de Photobucket, que salieron recordando que sus imágenes ya no podían ser alojadas, no aparecieran en los foros

Photobucket update - Page 2 Screen20
it says that our system fails and that the photobucket images come back out, when they should not

jucarese
jucarese
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2426
Language : spanish

http://asistencia.foroactivo.com/u23082

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2