The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Forumotion not accepting certain email providers anymore?

5 posters

Go down

Solved Is Forumotion not accepting certain email providers anymore?

Post by Zeta May 3rd 2020, 10:08 am

A friend of mine from another site was looking to start a forum today and so tried to create one using her email. Now, before you tell me to have her sign up here and post about this herself, she can't. The whole problem is that forumotion is refusing to accept any of her emails. She tried both creating a forum and signing up at existing ones with five different emails from three different providers, mail, gmx and yandex but every attempt either claimed that the email was already in use or that it was an invalid email despite her never having been to any forumotion site before today. I know for a fact that these providers used to be accepted. Is forumotion no longer accepting them?
Zeta
Zeta
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Is Forumotion not accepting certain email providers anymore?

Post by brandon_g May 3rd 2020, 1:58 pm

Hello,

I never heard of those email providers but it is possible they ended up on the blocked list if we were getting a very high usage of spammers coming from those email providers. We volunteers do not know what is on the blocked list, so I have no way to confirm it for you unless @The Godfather confirms it.

-Brandon

Is Forumotion not accepting certain email providers anymore? Brando10
Remember to mark your topic Is Forumotion not accepting certain email providers anymore? Solved15 when a solution is found.
General Rules | Tips & Tricks | FAQ | Forgot Founder Password?

Is Forumotion not accepting certain email providers anymore? Scre1476
Team Leader
Review Section Rules | Request A Review | Sticker Points
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 10106

https://www.broadcastingduo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jucarese May 3rd 2020, 8:49 pm

If the message is that the mail belongs and another forum Forumotion is that had tried to open a forum on occasion and is reflected in the database and that the mail can no longer open another forum. If the message is that such mail can not be used because the platform is considered as a mail spammers as you said and the moderator can never open a forum with such mails.Best Forumotion are emails to Gmail
jucarese
jucarese
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2449
Language : spanish

http://asistencia.foroactivo.com/u23082

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray May 3rd 2020, 11:40 pm

Did you check in the administration panel to see if the account was created:  AP > Users & Groups > Users > Inactive Users?

Is Forumotion not accepting certain email providers anymore? Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51495

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeta May 4th 2020, 12:28 am

SLGray wrote:Did you check in the administration panel to see if the account was created:  AP > Users & Groups > Users > Inactive Users?
I know where to activate accounts, but there's nothing there to activate. She couldn't create an account on forumotion or start a forum with any of her email addresses.

brandon_g wrote:Hello,

I never heard of those email providers but it is possible they ended up on the blocked list if we were getting a very high usage of spammers coming from those email providers. We volunteers do not know what is on the blocked list, so I have no way to confirm it for you unless @The Godfather confirms it.

-Brandon
That's concerning. I use two of those three providers exclusively and the overwhelming majority of the people I know use at least one of them. It seems like something that's going to end up causing problems for tons of people. If they are blocked is there a way of convincing the guys in charge to unblock them?
Zeta
Zeta
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g May 4th 2020, 12:53 am

From my experience, if they are on the blocked list, there is no getting them off. There has to be a very high threshold of spam accounts from a single provider for it to end up on the list at all. Now if it was a widely used one like Gmail or Yahoo or something, then obviously Forumotion couldn't black list those, but if it is one that isn't as widely used and it is causing more problems for them it's worth, than once it ends up on the list, it usually stays that way.

But again I do have no way to tell you with certainty if they are blocked or not.

-Brandon

Remember to mark your topic Is Forumotion not accepting certain email providers anymore? Solved15 when a solution is found.

Team Leader
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray May 4th 2020, 3:20 am

You can tell people to use a different email to create an account or forum and then change the email.

Is Forumotion not accepting certain email providers anymore? Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51495

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeta May 4th 2020, 5:57 am

SLGray wrote:You can tell people to use a different email to create an account or forum and then change the email.
I looked into the whole changing the email thing earlier today. I asked a few people and tried myself as well to change my email to a different one from one of the mentioned providers and it didn't work. Thankfully it didn't erase my email or their emails completely but it told us that the emails we were trying to change to were invalid and refused to change it. And, moreover, long time members with an email from those providers can no longer use their emails to sign up for forumotion forums. Attempts to sign up for new forums with those emails they already use at existing forumotion forums fails even after accepting the rules and successfully completing the captcha, claiming the email is invalid.
Something really needs to be done about this. It's effecting hundreds of existing members and many potential members.
Zeta
Zeta
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g May 6th 2020, 3:15 am

We have since had 2 more reports of this error when creating a new forum, we now believe it is likely bug. A ticket will be made on the issue shortly.

I will do my best to keep you updated.

Team Leader
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeta May 6th 2020, 3:40 am

brandon_g wrote:We have since had 2 more reports of this error when creating a new forum, we now believe it is likely bug. A ticket will be made on the issue shortly.

I will do my best to keep you updated.
Thank you. Will that also fix the related issues of people being unable to sign up at forums with or change their emails to one from those providers?
Zeta
Zeta
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by skouliki May 6th 2020, 3:12 pm

hello

i have opened a ticket about this issue
thank you

note: maybe i will need more details for the ticket to proceed like the exact email
skouliki
skouliki
Manager
Manager

Female Posts : 15144
Language : English,Greek

http://iconskouliki.forumgreek.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeta May 7th 2020, 1:11 am

skouliki wrote:hello

i have opened a ticket about this issue
thank you

note: maybe i will need more details for the ticket to proceed like the exact email
You want me to give you a list of several hundred emails? I don't think my members would be down with that. Also, I don't think the forumotion character limit would even allow it.
Zeta
Zeta
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g May 7th 2020, 1:17 am

@Zeta, Skouliki was just letting you know more info might be needed if head office requests it, they might not. We are just saying if they ask for any additional information, we will request it here from you. If we did need more information, it would likely be specific to the email addresses having the problem, not every single person with an email from that provider.

We are just making you aware of the possibility that they may need more information, not that you must give us more information. Do remember all we do is create the ticket and pass information to and from our pro admins to you. We are merely messengers, so no need to get defensive at all with us.

-Brandon

Team Leader
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeta May 7th 2020, 2:33 am

brandon_g wrote:@Zeta, Skouliki was just letting you know more info might be needed if head office requests it, they might not. We are just saying if they ask for any additional information, we will request it here from you. If we did need more information, it would likely be specific to the email addresses having the problem, not every single person with an email from that provider.

We are just making you aware of the possibility that they may need more information, not that you must give us more information. Do remember all we do is create the ticket and pass information to and from our pro admins to you. We are merely messengers, so no need to get defensive at all with us.

-Brandon
I'm not getting defensive. I'm just pointing out that such a thing wouldn't be too feasible. I put out an announcement after the small group of tests asking everybody on my forums to test this issue and reply with whether they're having the problem or not. Thus far I've had more than a hundred replies with every one saying they're experiencing the issue when they try it and I'm still waiting on more. With the current trend that will be several hundred in no time flat.
Zeta
Zeta
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by skouliki May 7th 2020, 12:10 pm

the problems with emails are solved
please can you confirm it
thank you
skouliki
skouliki
Manager
Manager

Female Posts : 15144
Language : English,Greek

http://iconskouliki.forumgreek.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeta May 8th 2020, 12:39 am

skouliki wrote:the problems with emails are solved
please can you confirm it
thank you
I ran a few tests. Everything seems to be back to normal for now. What was causing this anyway?
Zeta
Zeta
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g May 8th 2020, 1:06 am

From what we were told, several providers including gmx got automatically flagged by our anti spam system due to high spam usage. Our team had to go in and manually remove it from the spam system, along with a couple others that ended up on there.

May we consider this solved?
-Brandon

Team Leader
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeta May 8th 2020, 11:44 pm

brandon_g wrote:From what we were told, several providers including gmx got automatically flagged by our anti spam system due to high spam usage. Our team had to go in and manually remove it from the spam system, along with a couple others that ended up on there.

May we consider this solved?
-Brandon
Everything seems fine so, yes. This can probably be closed now.
Zeta
Zeta
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g May 9th 2020, 1:55 am

Problem solved & topic archived.
Please read our forum rules: ESF General Rules

Team Leader
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Back to top Go down