The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Classified Ads: More Advanced Permissions (Ability to Limit Guest Access)

5 posters

Go down

Do you agree or disagree ?

New Classified Ads: More Advanced Permissions (Ability to Limit Guest Access) Left1167%New Classified Ads: More Advanced Permissions (Ability to Limit Guest Access) Right11 67% 
[ 4 ]
New Classified Ads: More Advanced Permissions (Ability to Limit Guest Access) Left1133%New Classified Ads: More Advanced Permissions (Ability to Limit Guest Access) Right11 33% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 6

New Classified Ads: More Advanced Permissions (Ability to Limit Guest Access) Empty New Classified Ads: More Advanced Permissions (Ability to Limit Guest Access)

Post by volvie! December 15th 2016, 11:02 am

Hi Everyone,

A suggestion for the New Classified Ads:
https://help.forumotion.com/t148490-new-feature-on-forumotion-forums-classified-ads

Create / make more Advanced Permission Settings available to allow Administrators more control over who can view, read, etc. the Ads, like the current / regular Forum settings:

General --> Forum / Categories and Forums --> Permissions (advanced mode)

As an example, with more Advanced Permissions activated for the New Classified Ads, permissions could be set so that guests could view but not read the Ads.

(That is, guests could see there is an Ad section and that there are posts in it, but when they click on a link, they are redirected to a register / log in page or message.)

In communities with members that prefer to limit the sharing of their personal information and/or prefer to be contacted by members, this could increase the adoption of the New Classified Ads as they display nicely and are easy to use.

A related topic:
https://help.forumotion.com/t149151-new-classified-ads-advanced-permissions-how-to-limit-guest-access

So, what do you think, should the New Classified Ads have more Advanced Permission Settings made available?

Vote above and share your thoughts below!

Take care,
volvie!
volvie!
volvie!

Language : English

Back to top Go down

New Classified Ads: More Advanced Permissions (Ability to Limit Guest Access) Empty Re: New Classified Ads: More Advanced Permissions (Ability to Limit Guest Access)

Post by volvie! December 27th 2016, 8:24 pm

Hi Everyone,

Since the New Classifed Ads are a newer feature, I'm adding a couple screenshots to showcase the current permsission setting availabilities / differences:

New Classified Ads Permission Settings 12-27-2016:
New Classified Ads: More Advanced Permissions (Ability to Limit Guest Access) Newcla11

Forum Advanced Permission Settings 12-27-2016:
New Classified Ads: More Advanced Permissions (Ability to Limit Guest Access) Foruma10

Looking forward to reading your thoughts and seeing your votes:

Do you think the New Classified Ads should have more Advanced Permission Settings made available?

Or, asked another way:

Do you think the New Classified Ads should have the same Advanced Permission Settings as the current (regular) Forum Settings?

Take care,
volvie!
volvie!
volvie!

Back to top Go down

New Classified Ads: More Advanced Permissions (Ability to Limit Guest Access) Empty Re: New Classified Ads: More Advanced Permissions (Ability to Limit Guest Access)

Post by Global Federation December 28th 2016, 4:57 am

Yes.
Global Federation
Global Federation
Forumember

http://globalfederation.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DigiScrapCafe January 5th 2017, 1:19 am

I think they work just fine the way they are. they have everything one needs to allow, or lock out anyone etc...

BTW I sent you a PM in answer to your question of a couple weeks ago, I have only been on once since then
DigiScrapCafe
DigiScrapCafe
Forumember

http://digiscrapcafe.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Global Federation January 6th 2017, 11:46 pm

Would it be possible to set viewing permissions for guests, members, and special groups? My point with this is that some forums may want to keep user information private, such as the email address if they choose to display, from guests just happening to wander upon your forum. It would also be helpful for those that would only like to see a specific category of ads if your forum chooses to host all of them. To help reduce clutter of course.
Global Federation
Global Federation
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray January 7th 2017, 10:25 am

Well if you are wanting to selling something or offer your service, you should know that your email will be public.

New Classified Ads: More Advanced Permissions (Ability to Limit Guest Access) Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51489

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Global Federation January 9th 2017, 11:44 pm

SLGray wrote:Well if you are wanting to selling something or offer your service, you should know that your email will be public.
Yet, some people would only like to have users registered with their forum purchase their products. What's the point of posting an ad if there's no way to disallow random outsiders from seeing that information? You have hidden sub-forums for similar purposes.
Global Federation
Global Federation
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape January 10th 2017, 12:51 am

I would like to see a setting for just members to see this

I removed this down to the fact it's not 100% working and i Don't want the world to know my data unless they are a member of my site.

New Classified Ads: More Advanced Permissions (Ability to Limit Guest Access) Left1212New Classified Ads: More Advanced Permissions (Ability to Limit Guest Access) Center11New Classified Ads: More Advanced Permissions (Ability to Limit Guest Access) Right112
New Classified Ads: More Advanced Permissions (Ability to Limit Guest Access) Ape_b110
New Classified Ads: More Advanced Permissions (Ability to Limit Guest Access) Ape1010
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 19122
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by DigiScrapCafe January 11th 2017, 12:52 am

Global Federation wrote:Would it be possible to set viewing permissions for guests, members, and special groups? My point with this is that some forums may want to keep user information private, such as the email address if they choose to display, from guests just happening to wander upon your forum. It would also be helpful for those that would only like to see a specific category of ads if your forum chooses to host all of them. To help reduce clutter of course.

You can do this and much more, you only have to play with the permissions in each area (groups, forum permissions etc) and the members can also choose individually to limit their personal info to public by way of their profile settings...

DigiScrapCafe
DigiScrapCafe
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by DigiScrapCafe January 11th 2017, 12:56 am

APE wrote:I would like to see a setting for just members to see this

I removed this down to the fact it's not 100% working and i Don't want the world to know my data unless they are a member of my site.

This also can already be done, Ape, play with permissions.
If I can figure this stuff out as old and feable as I am getting, anyone should be able to lol,
seriously, It is not so hard, it is just time consuming...
DigiScrapCafe
DigiScrapCafe
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape January 11th 2017, 1:04 am

it would just be more easy to have the settings for every one in the ACP and not have to play about with codes.

New Classified Ads: More Advanced Permissions (Ability to Limit Guest Access) Left1212New Classified Ads: More Advanced Permissions (Ability to Limit Guest Access) Center11New Classified Ads: More Advanced Permissions (Ability to Limit Guest Access) Right112
New Classified Ads: More Advanced Permissions (Ability to Limit Guest Access) Ape_b110
New Classified Ads: More Advanced Permissions (Ability to Limit Guest Access) Ape1010
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 19122
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray January 12th 2017, 3:08 am

DigiScrapCafe wrote:

If I can figure this stuff out as old and feable as I am getting, anyone should be able to lol,
This is for ads, not forums and blogs.

New Classified Ads: More Advanced Permissions (Ability to Limit Guest Access) Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51489

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Global Federation January 13th 2017, 12:53 am

APE wrote:it would just be more easy to have the settings for every one in the ACP and not have to play about with codes.

SLGray wrote:
DigiScrapCafe wrote:

This is for ads, not forums and blogs.
I was previously of the understanding that his comment was mislead, but he is correct. There is no permissions to disallow members to see the ads section in the permission selector for the ad section itself, but if you place the ad section attached to a hidden sub-forum, guests and regular users can't see it without permission in that sub-forum it's attached to.
Global Federation
Global Federation
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by volvie! January 13th 2017, 2:36 am

Hi Everyone,

What a wonderful lively discussion! Very Happy

I've been having internet connection issues, so I haven't been able to fully test @DigiScrapCafe and @Global Federation ideas.

Based on my current understanding and testing, it seems the New Ads can be made:
-Public (Default)
-Hidden (by creating a New Ads section under a Forum category with permissions restricted to members / special groups only)

On our forum, we like to keep the sections visible to guests to encourage login / registration (i.e., limit content access, not section visibility), so I applied the idea behind hiding the New Ads section by moving the New Ads section under the Forum section with settings as featured in the screenshots here:
https://help.forumotion.com/t149981-new-classified-ads-more-advanced-permissions-ability-to-limit-guest-access#1035493
(The forum permissions allow guests to view the section title, description, but are re-directed to the login / registration page when they click a title, etc.)

When logged out and viewing as a guest (in a different browser), however, I can still see the New Ads section topics and contact members (and am not redirected to the login / register page).

Anyone have any success with limiting Guest access to the New Ads to view (section title, description) only?

If so, please share!

And, even if there is a work-around, I still suggest that the New Ads section permissions allow advanced permissions (especially the separation of the "view and read") like the forum permissions.

With something as important as permission settings, I think there should be consistency across sections to limit confusion / for ease of use (i.e., it should be easy and obvious so mistakes aren't made).

Please continue to share your thoughts and vote!

Take care,
volvie!

volvie!
volvie!

Back to top Go down