Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

+55
Derri
Captain Hunk
Jophy
Festina Lente
anthonyHobbs
tazbazuk
Fender
musket
Dr Jay
FIB
Bangernomics
Beastly
Bully
Shakespeare
RSguideMaker
The GreeK
runawayhorses
Jellydonut
WHITESABBATH
Jakeb
Marvin
angels77
Flappypaddles
advantage
Adam360
Edgar "Fear" Delgado
Empire_1
Irian
SLGray
!_NICK_!
bluehnvn
hoodedwarbler12
lenwick
Maki1
Matei
xsdenied
Renetona
kraja29
Naki
YanOri
KingOfSports
Ape
Count Dooku
oliverio
Darren1
that70sguy92
Leaf
karkooshy
Spuddie978
StoneRaven
Caihlem
Master Marc
MrMario
Dumbledore27
SophieDophs
59 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Forumotion to log User IPs at the time of their registration and include this info in the email that's sent to site Administrators

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Left1192%Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Right11 92% 
[ 135 ]
Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Left118%Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Right11 8% 
[ 11 ]
 
Total Votes : 146
 

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs August 10th 2010, 7:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

At the moment, when users register an account, the only way to see their IP address is (a) if they have already posted on the forum or (b) in the ACP, but you may not always be online at the same time as them so this method is not very effective.

What we need is the user IP address to be logged by forumotion at the time of their registration and this info to included in the email that's already sent to site administrators.

It's not that difficult to implement!

EDIT: Can I just make this clear... what we are asking for is not for the
individual member to submit their IP during registration, but for
Forumotion to GIVE us this information.


Last edited by SophieDophs on August 22nd 2012, 5:15 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Additional info for clarity)
SophieDophs
SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 375
Reputation : 3
Language : English

View user profile

Back to top Go down


Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by Guest April 6th 2013, 7:40 pm

@SophieDophs wrote:Of course, if they have dynamic IPs, it might not necessarily be helpful, but many people do have Static IPs (I do) and many people are potentially troublesome to a forum but not tech savvy enough to mask their IPs, so having a notification of their IP at the point of their registration would be extremely helpful.
Well most people who have broadband at home like I have have Dynamic Ips not many people I know have static IPs. Though maybe it depends on your ISP. They say a Dynamic IP is more secure anyway than static IP.
Dynamic IP's change but I find the ISP always stays the same. Often it's also only the last 4 digits of an IP that changes.So that kind of gives you a clue that it could be the same member on the forum again. You can also get an idea by the way they are posting that it's the same member.As you say most users are not very clever at hiding themselves.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by Captain Hunk April 7th 2013, 4:43 pm

How about detecting a MAC address instead? Or, include the Dynamic/static IPs with the MAC address at the time of registration? Perhaps also note where that user is from? Thereby, having all three [MAC;IP;Location] logged at time of registration and archived at Ban Control in Users Groups tab for future reference. Perhaps the Search Users area could allow Admins to search for any of these criterias just to see if there's something fishy there.

Just a thought or two. And for the record, I voted 'Yes'.
Captain Hunk
Captain Hunk
Forumember

Male Posts : 130
Reputation : 5
Language : English
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by Bangernomics May 13th 2013, 12:20 am

@SophieDophs wrote:At the moment, when users register an account, the only way to see their IP address is (a) if they have already posted on the forum or (b) in the ACP, but you may not always be online at the same time as them so this method is not very effective.

What we need is the user IP address to be logged by forumotion at the time of their registration and this info to included in the email that's already sent to site administrators.

It's not that difficult to implement!

EDIT: Can I just make this clear... what we are asking for is not for the
individual member to submit their IP during registration, but for
Forumotion to GIVE us this information.

I hope they do allow this as I think it can be very useful.
avatar
Bangernomics
Forumember

Female Posts : 144
Reputation : 1
Language : English
Location : UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by Derri May 13th 2013, 1:08 pm

Voted Yes,

This would be a really great idea and it would help with security issues and members who sign up with duplicate accounts.
Derri
Derri
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 8737
Reputation : 636
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs May 13th 2013, 3:46 pm

@Captain Hunk wrote:How about detecting a MAC address instead? Or, include the Dynamic/static IPs with the MAC address at the time of registration? Perhaps also note where that user is from? Thereby, having all three [MAC;IP;Location] logged at time of registration and archived at Ban Control in Users Groups tab for future reference. Perhaps the Search Users area could allow Admins to search for any of these criterias just to see if there's something fishy there.

Just a thought or two. And for the record, I voted 'Yes'.

@Bangernomics wrote:
@SophieDophs wrote:At the moment, when users register an account, the only way to see their IP address is (a) if they have already posted on the forum or (b) in the ACP, but you may not always be online at the same time as them so this method is not very effective.

What we need is the user IP address to be logged by forumotion at the time of their registration and this info to included in the email that's already sent to site administrators.

It's not that difficult to implement!

EDIT: Can I just make this clear... what we are asking for is not for the
individual member to submit their IP during registration, but for
Forumotion to GIVE us this information.

I hope they do allow this as I think it can be very useful.

@Derri wrote:Voted Yes,

This would be a really great idea and it would help with security issues and members who sign up with duplicate accounts.
Thanks guys. thumleft
SophieDophs
SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 375
Reputation : 3
Language : English

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by Fender May 16th 2013, 10:04 pm

I've found that a lot of members on our forum realize that IP's aren't logged unless they create a post, thus they don't post, by participate in the Chatbox & send PM's. Avoiding being detected as having multiple accounts. The dynamic IP excuse is lame, as many dynamic IP's are similar to other IP's from the same ISP & with a little work, might help finding these other accounts.

What we're asking for really isn't much at all. When a person registers, all that person's info is stored in the database ... just add a new field for 'user_ip' & insert the value of $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] into the field ... easy peasy.

avatar
Fender
Forumember

Male Posts : 47
Reputation : 4
Language : English
Location : Hudson Valley, NY, USA

View user profile http://www.begonebrotherhood.com/

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by Ultron's Vision May 16th 2013, 10:09 pm

With 127 to 6 voting for Yes it is more than obvious what the majority wants.

I voted Yes - this is an essential feature I think that should be implemented.
And, as the user above stated, it is not hard logging the $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] into a field and then sending the e-mail to the founder of the forum (or admins the founder thinks are worthy of doing so).
And, if REMOTE_ADDR isn't good enough, I can provide a getRealIP() function which is very likely to find the actual IP a user is using.
Ultron's Vision
Ultron's Vision
Forumember

Male Posts : 634
Reputation : 45
Language : English | German | HTML | JavaScript | PHP | C++ | Perl | Java
Location : Vienna, Austria

View user profile http://duelacademy.net

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs May 17th 2013, 12:55 am

@Fender wrote:I've found that a lot of members on our forum realize that IP's aren't logged unless they create a post, thus they don't post, by participate in the Chatbox & send PM's. Avoiding being detected as having multiple accounts. The dynamic IP excuse is lame, as many dynamic IP's are similar to other IP's from the same ISP & with a little work, might help finding these other accounts.

What we're asking for really isn't much at all. When a person registers, all that person's info is stored in the database ... just add a new field for 'user_ip' & insert the value of $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] into the field ... easy peasy.


@Ultron's Vision wrote:With 127 to 6 voting for Yes it is more than obvious what the majority wants.

I voted Yes - this is an essential feature I think that should be implemented.
And, as the user above stated, it is not hard logging the $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] into a field and then sending the e-mail to the founder of the forum (or admins the founder thinks are worthy of doing so).
And, if REMOTE_ADDR isn't good enough, I can provide a getRealIP() function which is very likely to find the actual IP a user is using.
Brilliant - thanks guys. thumright
SophieDophs
SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 375
Reputation : 3
Language : English

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by BlackScorpion May 17th 2013, 4:24 am

Voted yes. I would like to see this taken one step further and have the admin see the IP when a member is logged in. héhé Not just when someone register or makes a post.
BlackScorpion
BlackScorpion
Graphic Designer
Graphic Designer

Male Posts : 6741
Reputation : 906
Language : English
Location : USA

View user profile https://help.forumotion.com/f6-graphic-design-section

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SLGray May 17th 2013, 5:05 am

@BlackScorpion wrote:Voted yes. I would like to see this taken one step further and have the admin see the IP when a member is logged in. héhé Not just when someone register or makes a post.
You can see it when you are also logged on at the same time. Do you mean something different.



Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 49693
Reputation : 3442
Language : English
Location : United States

View user profile https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by BlackScorpion May 17th 2013, 5:11 am

@SLGray wrote:
@BlackScorpion wrote:Voted yes. I would like to see this taken one step further and have the admin see the IP when a member is logged in. héhé Not just when someone register or makes a post.
You can see it when you are also logged on at the same time. Do you mean something different.


I meant when you see thier name on the "who was online in the last 12 hours" not while they are logged on and such or even the IP of anyone logging into your server?
BlackScorpion
BlackScorpion
Graphic Designer
Graphic Designer

Male Posts : 6741
Reputation : 906
Language : English
Location : USA

View user profile https://help.forumotion.com/f6-graphic-design-section

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs May 17th 2013, 9:07 am

@SLGray wrote:You can see it when you are also logged on at the same time. Do you mean something different.
Please take the trouble to read this whole topic SLGray. We've discussed this over and over already!

No, we Admins don't want to spent our lives hoving over our keyboards, waiting on the remote off-chance that we'll just happen to be online at the exact same moment that a new non posting member is online - just so that we can see their IP!

We want their IPs included in the very same emails that Admins are sent when a person registers.

Please read my original post. Thank you.

And, as a support moderator, maybe you could mention this topic, and the number of views/votes it's had, in the staff room?

It's almost 3 years we've been waiting for action on this request!!!


@BlackScorpion wrote:
@SLGray wrote:
@BlackScorpion wrote:Voted yes.
I would like to see this taken one step further and have the admin see
the IP when a member is logged in. Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 66991 Not just when someone register or makes a post.
You can see it when you are also logged on at the same time. Do you mean something different.

I meant when you see thier name on the "who was online in the last 12
hours" not while they are logged on and such or even the IP of anyone
logging into your server?
That's a good point BlackScorpion and that addition would be very useful, but in the meantime, the simple inclusion of the IPs in the Admin notification email from Forumotion would be a huge step forward.

Thanks.
SophieDophs
SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 375
Reputation : 3
Language : English

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by Captain Hunk May 17th 2013, 5:11 pm

Including it in the email at time of registration is a huge step forward. But what we need is one giant leap for all FM-kind!

Once FM implements this, they need to keep detecting and tracking any change in that member's IP (and MAC?) at all times regardless of what exactly they are doing while logged in (even as a Guest). People who know how to mask their IPs will be forced to use one at time of registration and keep using it throughout. An Admin needs a permanent record of all IPs associated with that member. Not the kind that recently lists how often they logged in with each IP and capped at 10 or 20 rows. That sort of list is replaced and repeats the same IP(s).

Just a simple table listing every new IP the member logged in with. If the member only has two, then two IPs will be seen by the Admin. If another member has four, then only four IPs will be seen. It will be seen in the Profiles. If MACs are included, same process can be used. Just need a new tab in the Ban Control called Ban a MAC address to help the Admin search for duplicate accounts.

That's the whole point of the idea: help Admins track these problems down and solve them as they deem fit.
Captain Hunk
Captain Hunk
Forumember

Male Posts : 130
Reputation : 5
Language : English
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs May 17th 2013, 6:00 pm

@Captain Hunk wrote:Including it in the email at time of registration is a huge step forward. But what we need is one giant leap for all FM-kind!

Once FM implements this, they need to keep detecting and tracking any change in that member's IP (and MAC?) at all times regardless of what exactly they are doing while logged in (even as a Guest). People who know how to mask their IPs will be forced to use one at time of registration and keep using it throughout. An Admin needs a permanent record of all IPs associated with that member. Not the kind that recently lists how often they logged in with each IP and capped at 10 or 20 rows. That sort of list is replaced and repeats the same IP(s).

Just a simple table listing every new IP the member logged in with. If the member only has two, then two IPs will be seen by the Admin. If another member has four, then only four IPs will be seen. It will be seen in the Profiles. If MACs are included, same process can be used. Just need a new tab in the Ban Control called Ban a MAC address to help the Admin search for duplicate accounts.

That's the whole point of the idea: help Admins track these problems down and solve them as they deem fit.
Good suggestion, thanks. thumleft
SophieDophs
SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 375
Reputation : 3
Language : English

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs June 14th 2013, 3:15 pm

Forumotion are currently paying attention to the 'look' of our forums with the new Editor changes, for which we are grateful - thank you.

Whilst we appreciate their attention to this, may we respectfully ask them to give our IP request their attention, too?



As an Admin, I consider this IP request far more important than tweaking with the forum editor.

I first posted this forum suggestion on Tue 10 Aug 2010, 6:10 pm.

That's almost 3 years ago.




We have had a lot of support for this request.  To date this thread has had 10,506 views.

Surely it's time that we were taken seriously?

Please, can all members keep posting in this thread to keep it bumped up.  Maybe only then will they consider it.

Thanking you.
SophieDophs
SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 375
Reputation : 3
Language : English

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs June 18th 2013, 7:17 pm

Bumping up post.
SophieDophs
SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 375
Reputation : 3
Language : English

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by Ultron's Vision June 18th 2013, 8:17 pm

I still strongly agree to this and am actually very eager about this.

Hope this can be implemented really swiftly... with a majority of 129 to 6 who voted Yes, this is more than obvious.
Ultron's Vision
Ultron's Vision
Forumember

Male Posts : 634
Reputation : 45
Language : English | German | HTML | JavaScript | PHP | C++ | Perl | Java
Location : Vienna, Austria

View user profile http://duelacademy.net

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs June 18th 2013, 9:28 pm

@Ultron's Vision wrote:I still strongly agree to this and am actually very eager about this.

Hope this can be implemented really swiftly... with a majority of 129 to 6 who voted Yes, this is more than obvious.
Brilliant, thanks Ultron.
SophieDophs
SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 375
Reputation : 3
Language : English

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by Derri June 18th 2013, 9:42 pm

This would be great.
Derri
Derri
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 8737
Reputation : 636
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs June 19th 2013, 12:21 am

@Derri wrote:This would be great.
Brilliant!  Thanks Derri.
SophieDophs
SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 375
Reputation : 3
Language : English

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by Count Dooku February 8th 2014, 6:19 pm

a good idea for tracking and punish hackers...
Count Dooku
Count Dooku
Forumember

Posts : 279
Reputation : 2
Language : English, French, some Arabic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs February 13th 2014, 5:15 pm

@Count Dooku wrote:a good idea for tracking and punish hackers...
Thank you x
SophieDophs
SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 375
Reputation : 3
Language : English

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SLGray February 13th 2014, 5:23 pm

@SophieDophs wrote:
@Count Dooku wrote:a good idea for tracking and punish hackers...
Thank you x
Unless they are using proxy IP addresses, or IP addresses that change randomly.


Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 49693
Reputation : 3442
Language : English
Location : United States

View user profile https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs April 24th 2014, 2:44 pm

@SLGray wrote:
@SophieDophs wrote:
@Count Dooku wrote:a good idea for tracking and punish hackers...
Thank you x
Unless they are using proxy IP addresses, or IP addresses that change randomly.
Yes, but the majority of members don't! 

So this request may have a limited application... but that doesn't stop it being incredibly useful and about time it was implemented!!!!!!!!
SophieDophs
SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 375
Reputation : 3
Language : English

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs September 4th 2014, 6:51 pm

I had to laugh when I saw SLGray's comment in another suggestion post:

@SLGray wrote:It does not matter who votes yes for a suggestion.  There is more that goes into creating an update.  All suggestions that have a greater number of yes votes does not guarantee that those suggestions will be installed.
Don't we know it!!!!

This thread has had 133 votes but 4 years on, it still hasn't been implemented!!   Razz
SophieDophs
SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 375
Reputation : 3
Language : English

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SLGray September 4th 2014, 8:56 pm

What I meant by that is that there are technically reasons why some suggestions can not be installed.


Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 49693
Reputation : 3442
Language : English
Location : United States

View user profile https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by davidl September 4th 2014, 9:38 pm

Most of my users have multiple IP addresses, some even have as many IP`s as posts...... lol!
davidl
davidl
Forumember

Posts : 277
Reputation : 2
Language : English
Location : Leeds, West Yorkshire.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SLGray November 1st 2015, 9:56 pm

Bumping to move this suggestion to the first page.


Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 49693
Reputation : 3442
Language : English
Location : United States

View user profile https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs November 2nd 2015, 10:52 pm

@SLGray wrote:Bumping to move this suggestion to the first page.
Thank you. Very Happy

This is such a simple suggestion to implement and it would be so helpful.
SophieDophs
SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 375
Reputation : 3
Language : English

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by Bones! November 3rd 2015, 12:05 am

Even if this had a million votes, I don't see how you could do that. At least, asides from the IP check on posts.
Bones!
Bones!
Forumember

Posts : 173
Reputation : 20
Language : English, CCS, HTML
Location : Behind you

View user profile http://www.unknownlandsrp.com/

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum